2018 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who voted for losing it, punch yourself in the face. Its a dj track/ remix, not a proper single

I've never been able to figure out what sets this aside from the literal thousands of other techno/dance tracks out there.

They'll never tell us, but I'd love to know whether Triple J disqualified them.
Ofcourse they did.
They weren't beating Confidence to #1 though.

It was the #1 a long time back.

Just commercial enough to make a long lasting impression and get people on board while being different enough.

Not bad for #1 and just happy it beat that tripe that made #3. Is this what makes a top 5 nowdays?

Ofcourse they did.
They weren't beating Confidence to #1 though.

It was the #1 a long time back.

Just commercial enough to make a long lasting impression and get people on board while being different enough.

Not bad for #1 and just happy it beat that tripe that made #3. Is this what makes a top 5 nowdays?
This was probably the least enjoyable top 10 I can remember.

What an insipid countdown. Such a let-down after a great year.

People complaining about Sicko Mode is ridiculous, but not surprising. It was the best song in the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an insipid countdown. Such a let-down after a great year.

People complaining about Sicko Mode is ridiculous, but not surprising. It was the best song in the top 10.

You call Sicko Mode music? Best of the top 10? Rest was insipid? Hahaha. Travis Scott isn't a musicians/song writers arsehole.
No one will even remember him in a few years. Flash in the pan for a generic, regrettable genre, and I use that term very loosely. Todays American hip hop is a joke that even its founding fathers can openly admit to. Nothing but a sad social media cash grab/insta fame shot.

Admittedly it was a below average year, but that is mostly down to artists.

First time I'd ever heard confidence was after I started seeing people post their voting lists. Second was after seeing that it was #1 today.

Boring, insipid and 'trendy' nonsense.

So basically the perfect triple j song.
So a song that you say you heard for the first time 30 days ago, then for the 2nd time when it was #1, even though it dropped 10 months ago, and was flogged nonstop for 4 months solid isnt worthy of number 1?

Boring, insipid, tripe? Typical triple J song?

Don't listen to the hottest 100 then pal. You're doing your best to come across as a music elitist, but failing dismally.

Maybe call 3aw and tell them all about it.

You call Sicko Mode music? Best of the top 10? Rest was insipid? Hahaha. Travis Scott isn't a musicians/song writers arsehole.
No one will even remember him in a few years. Flash in the pan for a generic, regrettable genre, and I use that term very loosely. Todays American hip hop is a joke that even its founding fathers can openly admit to. Nothing but a sad social media cash grab/insta fame shot.

Admittedly it was a below average year, but that is mostly down to artists.
Okay, oldie. Have a lie down.

So a song that you say you heard for the first time 30 days ago, then for the 2nd time when it was #1, even though it dropped 10 months ago, and was flogged nonstop for 4 months solid isnt worthy of number 1?

Boring, insipid, tripe? Typical triple J song?

Don't listen to the hottest 100 then pal. You're doing your best to come across as a music elitist, but failing dismally.

Maybe call 3aw and tell them all about it.
Was there supposed a point in amongst all of that?

Oldie?
Righteo. Sorry I called you out on you being triggered about the only genuine garbage in the top 10, which incidentally isn't even remotely close to music.

You also upset 6ixty9ine, Post Malone, Lil #1,2&3 didn't fill up the other 9 spots?

Tell me more about how it's musically and lyrically brilliant.

You're both playing the jaded music snob complaining incessantly.

Why did either of you even bother to listen? You've both clearly transcended well above the hottest 100, so spare us your indignation.

Perhaps you could start a circle jerk and jade together about how you're hard done by?

Oldie?
Righteo. Sorry I called you out on you being triggered about the only genuine garbage in the top 10, which incidentally isn't even remotely close to music.

You also upset 6ixty9ine, Post Malone, Lil #1,2&3 didn't fill up the other 9 spots?

Tell me more about how it's musically and lyrically brilliant.
6ix9nine is garbage. Post Malone isn't bad, but doesn't interest me. There's a few pretty good Lils out there - not sure if any of them released anything of value last year. I was happy to see Childish Gambino and Mallrat in the top 10. The rest sucked.

I also don't really enjoy Travis Scott. I think Rodeo is a great album, but everything else he's released has ranged from below average to pretty good. Sicko Mode is a good song. What exactly is your problem with it?

Why are you so upset that people didn't enjoy the music anyway? I had a good day listening to the count with mates. We all thought it was s**t, but still made a good day out of it.

Boo Australia for picking Confidence as number 1.
Overall countdown was a bit better than predicted. Warm Tunas significantly underestimated some of the more mainstream songs (Billie Eilish top 10 for instance) but was a good predictor as usual.

Tomorrow should see a bit more of the “typical” fare.

It's interesting comparing it to the listener voted top 10 albums of the year.

Ball Park Music, Middle Kids, Jack River and Arctic Monkeys all only had 1 song. Skeggs and The Wombats had 2 each

Then Ocean Alley, Rufus du Sol, Hockey Dad and DMA's all had 3 songs from their album in the count (with Ocean Alley also having the like a version.) With the exception of DMA's, the other 3 all had songs from their albums finish pretty high up too.

I would like to think that I didn't like this count because it's not a true reflection of the listernership, and that once-a-year Triple J listeners have infiltrated the count. However, without listening to any commercial radio, I don't imagine Rufus du Sol, Hockey Dad and DMA's are crossover hits. And the H100 list is a pretty good reflection of the album list.

Which, when you put all that together, means that this H100 was a genuine reflection of their listenership. So there's a harrowing truth to recognise...

Those of us here complaining about it are just old. We're just not the demographic of this youth radio station any more. And yes, their listenership is obviously heavily influenced by what they put on high rotation, but the obvious implication is that artists that probably suit my demographic more - Mitski, Idles, Parquet Courts, even Courtney Barnett - aren't popular with the 15-25 year olds that they're aiming for.

To use a saying that is also probably closer to my demographic than to Triple J's - "don't hate the player, hate the game."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back