2018 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I missing something? I didn't mind Dean Lewis's first EP and Waves, but Be Alright is bog average with some of the most simplistic lyrics outside of a pop radio station.

you aren't missing anything sadly, triple j is no longer an "alternative" music station, they are a pop station that caters to the youth and still tries to present itself as different and edgy/cool. those kind of songs are the norm on the j's these days

interesting count thewitness, alot of rubbish in there but I mean, most countdowns these days split my opinion so I'm not expecting much from it

I can't for the life of me work out the appeal of Ocean Alley. Confidence sounds like a typical batshit boring lounge song that generally comes in at about 89 in the Hottest 100 and everyone shrugs and goes on with their day. How is this the outright favourite to win? Even Hoops was catchy at least.

you aren't missing anything sadly, triple j is no longer an "alternative" music station, they are a pop station that caters to the youth and still tries to present itself as different and edgy/cool. those kind of songs are the norm on the j's these days

interesting count thewitness, alot of rubbish in there but I mean, most countdowns these days split my opinion so I'm not expecting much from it
I don't mind Triple J catering to indie pop that doesn't get a crack on commercial station and I don't mind Amy Shark, Dustin Tebbutt or Lewis's earlier work. I'm just surprised people have got behind this song, it seems like an effort to parlay JJJ success into Nova success.

I can't for the life of me work out the appeal of Ocean Alley. Confidence sounds like a typical batshit boring lounge song that generally comes in at about 89 in the Hottest 100 and everyone shrugs and goes on with their day. How is this the outright favourite to win? Even Hoops was catchy at least.
I'm with you, I just listened to the album because I haven't listened to JJJ much this year and this band passed me by. The album is ok, some decent songs, but bemused that it is likely to make the top 20, let alone 1.

I'd take a thousand Confidences and Be Alrights over one I'm Losing It. That song is complete ratshit. It's a disgrace that it's expected to be in the top thousand, let alone the top ten.
I'm not a big electronic fan, but I don't mind the odd track that can get a club up and jumping. Losing It is about as simplistic a dance track as you could imagine, like a child's attempt to mimic Swedish House Mafia or something. Golden Features put out an album made up entirely of songs that s**t on that.

Last edited:
I'd take a thousand Confidences and Be Alrights over one I'm Losing It. That song is complete ratshit. It's a disgrace that it's expected to be in the top thousand, let alone the top ten.

Indeed, total lowest common denominator tripe. One of those songs when they play back this countdown in 20 years that people will just go "Huh?"

I don’t mind Confidence, the film clip helps. And it’s better than at least 3/4 of the songs that will make it in on Sunday. In 20 years time there’s probably only 2 or 3 songs from this year H100 that anyone will remember. I still can’t remember TIA and I listened to it yesterday.

Only expecting a couple of these to make it in.

That I had to manually add Pressure by Muse into the shortlist was weird and disappointing.

IMG_20181214_210354_715.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either 2018 was ******* garbage for music, or it was the year that I properly became an old bastard.

This has been really awful this year. And only 1 song I voted for (and none that'll be top 4), which is an all-time low for me.

Either 2018 was ******* garbage for music, or it was the year that I properly became an old bastard.

This has been really awful this year. And only 1 song I voted for (and none that'll be top 4), which is an all-time low for me.
Thers's been some great stuff released this year from the likes of Beach House, Julia Holter and IDLES but none of which appeared on this countdown. This is the worst countdown in memory but isn't reflective of the year in general.

Thers's been some great stuff released this year from the likes of Beach House, Julia Holter and IDLES but none of which appeared on this countdown. This is the worst countdown in memory but isn't reflective of the year in general.

Yeah, I suspect I'm just old... I heard some ******* excellent albums last year, and some albums that 10 or 15 years ago absolutely would've been "Triple J music", but it hasn't been heard today, and I doubt much, if any of it will be heard tomorrow either :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back