Autopsy 2018 in review.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know right now it’s rough and the off-season will be tainted by today.

But overall, discuss the season. Who was good, who was bad, how we can improve here.

This lost final is going to be very raw, and people are going to label the season a failure. But in all honesty where two finals past where we are at. We broke our finals drought, and despite no experience won two finals. Sure it sucks, but i think we've achieved more than we should have. I'll give the season a pass, it was a fun wave to ride while we had it

Pass mark for me was win a final, we did better than that.

s**t end to the year but been a massive step forward for us, just need to consolidate in 2019.
Pretty much for me too.

If you said after the Sydney game our year would end being smacked in a prelim I would have been pretty happy.

Thanks for the diagnosis DOC.

I really wanted a premiership this year. When will I/we get one? Hmmm? Answer that
We are in the best position we have been in since probably 1964 to get one.

Age profile is amazing.
Talent on every line.
Great brand of footy.

They had a bad day. You know who else did? ******* Richmond last night.

Have faith. It isn’t 2013 any more.

good year happy with it. still young but shows why looking at May is a good thing get Lever as 3rd tall and May as the big campaigner. * Jones off been saying it all year i dont give a flying * what he has been through been over paid for most of his career to hit the salary cap.

Was great to make finals and win, twice

BUT

we had a lot of very very very very very bad losses

We could become a ridiculous powerhouse or didapdisa

I love you guys. My late mum was a passionate Dee. I so wanted the Dees to win the flag, but today was terrible. Jones, Petracca, Melksham, Gawn, Lewis, Salem should’ve paid to get in. However, great year, won two finals, a lot to love. All the best for 2019 guys!

Today sucks obviously.

But I never expected us to get this far. After the Sydney loss, I thought we'd miss the finals and melted hard, but we beat WC to break our drought, and won a home final with a win against the Giants.

The last month has been fantastic, the most exciting and satisfying it's been as a Melbourne supporter in over a decade.

We fell well short today, but we're just at the beginning of a genuine tilt, the melts of today will subside, and we'll come back bigger and stronger in 2019.

(disclaimer have had a few beers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good year, poor way to end but still exceeded expectations.

Worried about Jones form all year, think a tough conversation needs to be had there. I'd like to see a someone with a bit more pace take his place. Looking good everywhere else, a small crumbing and tackling forward would be nice (Gartlett is done). I also think the defense is fine with Lever coming in and OMacs progression (great first half, dropped off in the second).
I think the Lewis experiment may have run its course too. I like the leadership he has brought but with his decision making and skills waning I'd love to see him transition to coaching next year and let a young up and comer take his spot.

Happy with the coach. Game plan is good, we just need to execute is better sometimes

Thanks for the diagnosis DOC.

I really wanted a premiership this year. When will I/we get one? Hmmm? Answer that
We all did mate. If we had made it we would have stolen it not earned it. Where we finished is right. Great launch pad for the future but your not the only one hurting after the loss, it was a tough one to swallow

Well I can't think of a more appropriate way for Melbourne to end the season. Really keeping up with the standards that have been set over the past decade and a bit

If you'd told any of us at the start of the season that we'd win 2 finals before being beaten by West Coast in Perth by 10 goals I think we probably all would have been satisfied by that. Today was shocking, but I think it's pretty much undeniable that days like today have happened less and less frequently over the past couple of years.

Every year for the past 5 we've made clear, unambiguous progress. As long as we can continue on that trajectory for the next couple of years... eyyyy.

vC1ni78.jpg

a good enough year, I think we can be happy enough once the disappointment of today subsides a bit. but I still think we have to look to get better and try to find some more skilled players for next year. guys like Hannan, Frost and even Neale-Bullen really aren't good enough imo. either their skill level, ball handling or decision making really is below where it needs to be for the amount of games they've played. putting up with Brayshaws bloopers are bad enough but at least he can actually win the ball himself. and we also need to get rid of Tyson, Lewis and Jones as they're just too slow now when the game goes up a notch like it does in finals. opposition know it and expose them. the positions these guys play are where you really need some pace in the modern game, to capitalise on our midfield dominance, but they just don't have it.
plus can we never play extra numbers behind the ball ever again. we always play terrible footy whenever we do this. it cost us games this year when trying to hold on to leads in the last qtr. when we do it we cant move the ball forward, as we don't have the skill or the smarts, and it invites pressure on our defenders and they have no accountability because they all just peel off opponents to cover someone else's man, thinking someone else will cover theirs, until the oppo move it all the way to goal like a game of bloody Chinese checkers.

good year happy with it. still young but shows why looking at May is a good thing get Lever as 3rd tall and May as the big campaigner. **** Jones off been saying it all year i dont give a flying **** what he has been through been over paid for most of his career to hit the salary cap.

I’ll chalk this down as you being upset.

a good enough year, I think we can be happy enough once the disappointment of today subsides a bit. but I still think we have to look to get better and try to find some more skilled players for next year. guys like Hannan, Frost and even Neale-Bullen really aren't good enough imo. either their skill level, ball handling or decision making really is below where it needs to be for the amount of games they've played. putting up with Brayshaws bloopers are bad enough but at least he can actually win the ball himself. and we also need to get rid of Tyson, Lewis and Jones as they're just too slow now when the game goes up a notch like it does in finals. opposition know it and expose them. the positions these guys play are where you really need some pace in the modern game, to capitalise on our midfield dominance, but they just don't have it.
plus can we never play extra numbers behind the ball ever again. we always play terrible footy whenever we do this. it cost us games this year when trying to hold on to leads in the last qtr. when we do it we cant move the ball forward, as we don't have the skill or the smarts, and it invites pressure on our defenders and they have no accountability because they all just peel off opponents to cover someone else's man, thinking someone else will cover theirs, until the oppo move it all the way to goal like a game of bloody Chinese checkers.

Agree with the bulk of your post but we aren’t getting rid of 6 guys in the best 22. Lewis to retire, Jones to take his role as the old head. Hannah, ANB etc need to have their spots taken by guys in the pre season. I don’t like ANB as a player all too much but someone has to come out and challenge his GPS numbers before we drop him.

Agree with the bulk of your post but we aren’t getting rid of 6 guys in the best 22. Lewis to retire, Jones to take his role as the old head. Hannah, ANB etc need to have their spots taken by guys in the pre season. I don’t like ANB as a player all too much but someone has to come out and challenge his GPS numbers before we drop him.
yeah I didn't mean we have to drop them all at once, which wont happen, but more that we need to start trying to find some other players in those roles imo.

Sorry for the intrusion guys. Commiserations on the result - it sucks I know! Had MFC in my top four at the start of the year. We have a great little rivalry going at the moment and I’m looking forward to locking horns next year.

Chin up, this year is a big tick no doubt. Next year you’ll be better (unfortunately) with Hogan and hopefully Lever back. Lots to look forward to.

Cheers
SL

Yes today was a shambles, but yeah overall I'd say not only did we hit our pass mark but we exceeded expectations. I was only expecting/wanting to just scrape into finals (especially given what happened last year). But to go as deep into finals as we have, we've gone above and beyond what was expected of us. Grade wise probably somewhere between a B and an A. Player development is coming along in Harmes, Brayshaw, Weideman, Fritsch and Spargo. Can't wait to see Baker get a crack next season. Handful of offseason changes, but can't see anything way too drastic. Aim for a top 4 spot next year and try to go 1-2 better in the finals series. Proud of the boys. Carn the Demons!!! :devil:

We had shocking games too often. Eliminate the unexplainable shockers and we could win 17 games and play in a grand final.

Brayshaw needs composure and Petracca nerds to become what he shows the promise of being.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back