Injury 2018 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no point playing Lids in the forward line when he is this underdone. He applies zero pressure and can’t get to many contests. I’d prefer we put him behind the ball and have him spare or not play until he’s got more kms under his belt.
At this point I’d rather us play Bonar in the forward line... he applies way more pressure. Don’t have to worry about him turning it over too much (as 1st year players often do).

Is anyone else curious about not just the amount of injuries we have but the re-injuring?
Eg players doing acl more than once, syndesmosis more than once, etc.

GWS GIANTS
INJURY LIST
Zac Williams (achilles)
Ryan Griffen (ankle)
Tom Scully (knee)
Jacob Hopper (groin)
Will Setterfield (knee)
Adam Kennedy (knee)
Matt Buntine (knee)
Brent Davis [Ed. note: sic. I assume this should be Daniels] (knee)
Lachie Tiziani (shoulder)
Zac Langdon (shoulder)
The Giants have conceded Ryan Griffen is likely to miss the start of the season after he was left out of their second JLT clash against Sydney last Friday night.
Griffen injured his ankle in a scratch match against the Swans last month.
Midfielders Tom Scully and Jacob Hopper played no part in the JLT Series but the Giants are hopeful of their availablity against the Western Bulldogs.

From the Herald Sun.

Explains why we haven't seen some of the guys, but no inclusion of Corr is a bit of a mystery.

GWS GIANTS INJURY LIST
Explains why we haven't seen some of the guys, but no inclusion of Corr is a bit of a mystery.
Geez, season hasn't started and it's 10 already, including 2 season-long. Last year's back luck doesn't seemed to have waned.
With Corr, given that he played the NEAFL game & presuming he finished it OK, I guess he's no longer injured?
I note that Zac Langdon is included on that list with his shoulder, even though he returned to the field in JLT2.

Matt Buntine Knee 4-5 weeks
Brent Daniels Knee 2-3 weeks
Ryan Griffen Ankle 1-2 weeks
Jacob Hopper Groin Test
Adam Kennedy Knee 2-3 weeks
Tom Scully Knee Test
Will Setterfield Knee Season
Zac Williams Achilles Indefinite
Updated: Friday, March 16

Matt Buntine Knee 4-5 weeks
Brent Daniels Knee 2-3 weeks
Ryan Griffen Ankle 1-2 weeks
Jacob Hopper Groin Test
Adam Kennedy Knee 2-3 weeks
Tom Scully Knee Test
Zac Williams Achilles Indefinite
Updated: Friday, March 16

Just realised no Tiziani on the list and also I haven't seen anything from the club but maybe they will post a club injury report on the website on monday or tuesday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember seeing that Perryman was going to miss JLT 2 with a back injury but haven't heard anything since, does anyone know if he's back training? Liked the look of him last year.

There was nothing in the AFL.com injury report but I feel that was from the AFL rather than the club as there was no mention of Tiziani who looked to have badly hurt his AC joint in the second JLT game
He could possibly play most of the season as a bench def/mid player and long term i think he will be in the defensive 50

And nothing on Isaac Cumming, but no sight of him during JLT or scratch match. What's happening there, I wonder?

In the interview after his re-signing he did mention a tight calf and I think he will play in the NEAFL and then hopefully he has a few games in the AFL before the bye

I feel what is missing from the list is a few depth players like Adam Kennedy/MDB types 25-30 years old and around 100+ games, experienced bodies and able to improve with good coaching, so hopefully the list has a few years of only drafting 3/4/5 players

Injury list
‘Ryan Griffen (ankle) is no chance of facing his former side the Western Bulldogs in round one, while Jacob Hopper (groin) is also unlikely, and doubts still linger over Tom Scully (knee) and Aidan Corr (groin). Brett Deledio (Achilles) and Rory Lobb (groin) had extremely interrupted pre-season campaigns so might require another couple of games in the NEAFL.’
Adam Curley.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-03-20/rehab-report-round-one
From the club
Ryan Griffen Ankle TBC
Matt Buntine Knee 4 weeks
Adam Kennedy Knee 4-6 weeks
Brent Daniels Knee 4-6 weeks
Zac Williams Achillies TBC

Nothing on Tiziani which is surprising
Scully, Deledio and Hopper not even listed as test for this weeks game although I thought I saw Daniels and Buntine as 2-3 weeks away so maybe they are being conservative
Doesn't read well for Griffen so it will be interesting to see his recovery from this injury

Last edited:
AFL Gameday injury segment this morning ... rough estimate of Scully's injury is 3-4 months on his ankle break. Question is whether that gives sufficient time for him to regain fitness & get some match time before finals, to allow for a comeback this year. We'll hear more from the club later this week no doubt. :sick: :'( :poo: :(

AFL Gameday injury segment this morning ... rough estimate of Scully's injury is 3-4 months on his ankle break. Question is whether that gives sufficient time for him to regain fitness & get some match time before finals, to allow for a comeback this year. We'll hear more from the club later this week no doubt. :sick: :'( :poo: :(

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-04-01/scully-to-undergo-surgery
Surgery today on a broken ankle for Scully
I am not worried about his fitness after 9 years of AFL and with his fitness where it is
Best case scenario back for finals which is 5 months and I would think that is what the club will aim for

Edit: Jon Ralph was saying it could be 2-3 months before he is back which is good news but as always I will wait and see but if Scully is back a couple of rounds before the end of the season it would be a massive boost for the team

Last edited:
Taranto gonna play an even bigger role with Scully going down? Good player that kid, so hoping he will. Especially with Whitfield down back.
He was already playing a bigger role based on Hopper, Griffen & Setterfield all being absent - moved from a forward role into more midfield minutes in the 2 games this campaign. Hopper's likely to come back this week or next, and while Scully's likely to have a different direct replacement on the wing, I see that Taranto will keep his increased midfield time. Has been going great in the 2 games thus far, with no sign of second year blues, so expecting his increased output to remain.

Taranto gonna play an even bigger role with Scully going down? Good player that kid, so hoping he will. Especially with Whitfield down back.
Reminds me a lot of a decent player name Bontempelli at the Kennell. A bit to do yet, obviously, but he's tracking very nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back