Injury 2018 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe that recently a member of the media voiced their frustration towards freos administration team. As a result, it doesn't surprise me to see a change in approach to the way the club is providing info on injuries.

Also Brad Hardie said that Alex Pearce hasn't done any ball work all week, he's just running laps.

Assuming all sports science groups were of approximately equal ability you would still expect the the incidence and severity of injuries occurring at each club across the competition would be normally distributed; not all the same. A clubs medical team would be judged how they responded to individual injuries, I.E. was this correct diagnosis and subsequently the correct treatment based on best practice, maybe also their choice of recovery programs; not total injuries, not actual results. The sample size is too small to prevent luck dominating. Someone has to be at the tail of the curve.

Of course a percentage of the population are never going to accept this fact, and it's their magical type thinking that has kept gambling as successful business since the dawn of civilisation.

The amount of time they spend in a cigar tube has relevance too.
Which makes Pav's achievements so spectacular.
Barra too.
Shane Parker was extremely durable given the sports science recovery regime would have been relatively unsophisticated you'd think.

Assuming all sports science groups were of approximately equal ability you would still expect the the incidence and severity of injuries occurring at each club across the competition would be normally distributed; not all the same. A clubs medical team would be judged how they responded to individual injuries, I.E. was this correct diagnosis and subsequently the correct treatment based on best practice, maybe also their choice of recovery programs; not total injuries, not actual results. The sample size is too small to prevent luck dominating. Someone has to be at the tail of the curve.

Of course a percentage of the population are never going to accept this fact, and it's their magical type thinking that has kept gambling as successful business since the dawn of civilisation.

What you're saying here sort of falls away if you don't believe each club's medico's are of exactly the same ability/resourced as much... I mean look at Adelaide this year. They've admitted themselves that whatever they did increased the chance of hamstring injuries. Not sure you can just put everything on how 'lucky' you are.

Personnel has great influence too, our medical teams "stats" are hamstrung (calved?) by having players like Bennell on the books

Magical type thinking? Gambling? Fact? What?

There is absolutely no reason to assume that all the sports science groups are of approximately equal ability. It's like saying all professional footballers or teams are of equal ability. Yet there is Fyfe, and there is Suban. Or there is Richmond, and there is Carlton.

Lucky plays some part, but there can be absolutely zero doubt that there is a range in the ability of sports science teams across the league. As per every single professional (or non-professional) field in the universe. Some people are better at their jobs than others. Even at the pointy end. That's a simple fact.

Magical type thinking? Gambling? Fact? What?

There is absolutely no reason to assume that all the sports science groups are of approximately equal ability. It's like saying all professional footballers or teams are of equal ability. Yet there is Fyfe, and there is Suban. Or there is Richmond, and there is Carlton.

Lucky plays some part, but there can be absolutely zero doubt that there is a range in the ability of sports science teams across the league. As per every single professional (or non-professional) field in the universe. Some people are better at their jobs than others. Even at the pointy end. That's a simple fact.

Treating injuries is not like playing football. There is a level of competency and any improved skill above that brings very little - if any improvement to recovery times and risk of injury/reinjury

There's only so much that can be done - they're not magicians

I’d say our ethos of ‘accelerated development’ has lead to injuries. Exposing skinny whippets to hardened players has caused injuries. We appear to be nursing through our young players during the week purely so they can play. Is that better than playing them in the WAFL and training them mid week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say our ethos of ‘accelerated development’ has lead to injuries. Exposing skinny whippets to hardened players has caused injuries. We appear to be nursing through our young players during the week purely so they can play. Is that better than playing them in the WAFL and training them mid week?
There was some study done somewhere that demonstrated improvement in young players in sport was greatest from playing games at a young age.

Everything has to be seen through the prism of "no excuse not to win a flag by 2020". I don't know if flogging them hard this early takes it's toll now, at the end of their career, or not at all. But I do know if Lyon thinks he can get Cerra and AB up to elite level when they are 20-21, he is going to rate that much higher than losing a year off their career when they are 30 and he's long gone.

From a purely mathematical point of view. Most of the “medical stats” discussed above are on too small a sample size.

Statisticians like data in the thousands before they start making calls on whats “normal”. They also like fine grain data. For example they would only compare all Left ACL injuries not all leg related injuries when trying to measure.

Looking and medico’s performance would be harder as you would need to look at average deviation from the mean for all injury types or something like that. From a purely stats point of view I am sure you could prove whatever you wanted to prove. Positive or negative.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So what are the odds of us having a league best run with injuries next year ?

18 teams

Shave a couple of points for bookie tax

16/1

Think I'll give it a miss

Give me 20 bucks on Rich , Haw and Syd though if it's 16's the field

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
So what are the odds of us having a league best run with injuries next year ?

18 teams

Shave a couple of points for bookie tax

16/1

Think I'll give it a miss

Give me 20 bucks on Rich , Haw and Syd though if it's 16's the field

I suspect travel and personnel are bigger influences here than medical staff

Age and circumstances like where are the team situated have a large influence too

Older players generally take an extra week etc, bottom teams send players out to pasture quicker and don't rush then back

I suspect travel and personnel are bigger influences here than medical staff

Age and circumstances like where are the team situated have a large influence too

Older players generally take an extra week etc, bottom teams send players out to pasture quicker and don't rush then back

Absolutely right , there are a lot of factors involved than just luck

In saying that though , you would think ours and West corps numbers should be pretty similar but that doesn't sound right either

If anyone can remember the last time we rolled out a full strength side you've got a better memory than me , and well done staying off the booze and drugs

Last edited:
Hang on a second... did Reece Conca only sprain his ankle? Seriously?

I mean the guy was sucking back on the green stick, getting pats from everyone including Rohan.

He only sprained it?

My golly.

Barlow twice snaps his leg. Both times he’s like ‘yep that’s broken... wonder if I can still take my kick... yeah nah’.

Fyfe breaks his leg. I wonder if I can play through this... yeah nah it hurts... but I’ll keep going.

Pearce breaks his leg. Man that hurts... pretty sure that’s at right angles... I’ll jog it off the ground.

Conca? Sprain??

Boy oh boy.

I mean the guy was sucking back on the green stick, getting pats from everyone including Rohan.

He only sprained it?

My golly.

Barlow twice snaps his leg. Both times he’s like ‘yep that’s broken... wonder if I can still take my kick... yeah nah’.

Fyfe breaks his leg. I wonder if I can play through this... yeah nah it hurts... but I’ll keep going.

Pearce breaks his leg. Man that hurts... pretty sure that’s at right angles... I’ll jog it off the ground.

Conca? Sprain??

Boy oh boy.

The way he was carrying on I thought he had snapped it clean off the bone

Surely has has torn ligaments at the least

He only sprained it?

My golly.

Conca? Sprain??

Boy oh boy.

He dislocated it. It's pretty gruesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back