Injury 2018 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I might sound like I've got too much eyeliner on when I say this, but neither matter. You listened, that was the objective and it was accomplished.
Hagdorn reported (well probably listened to Hase like me) the same thing this morning.

Smoke and fire etc, especially with calves and Harley.

The Calf, TBC/TBA will melt this board tonight.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Screen%20Shot%202018-07-31%20at%203.27.06%20PM.png

I didn't want to be right but

Harley Bennell----Calf-----TBA

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
It would be interesting to analyse the following, of the last 100 players drafted by our club, even 50, how many games have they played per year.

AFL/WAFL. Therefore how long have they spent uninjured.

Compare that to another clubs last 50 players. Compare it to all clubs and it should start to paint a picture about “fit and available”.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would be interesting to analyse the following, of the last 100 players drafted by our club, even 50, how many games have they played per year.

AFL/WAFL. Therefore how long have they spent uninjured.

Compare that to another clubs last 50 players. Compare it to all clubs and it should start to paint a picture about “fit and available”.

Collingwood have an horrendous injury list that will probably derail their finals and they dont have the traveling to contend with. GWS have just got through a horror run as have Adelaide.
WC with Nic nat and Kennedy. Injuries are not only a Freo problem. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Collingwood have an horrendous injury list that will probably derail their finals and they dont have the traveling to contend with. GWS have just got through a horror run as have Adelaide.
Carlton, Geelong, Essendon and WB would all be equal or worse than us too

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

If those clubs all continue to have the horror run next year, they'll be doing something about it for sure. We've allowed ours to run for years.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
If those clubs all continue to have the horror run next year, they'll be doing something about it for sure. We've allowed ours to run for years.

Afl is all hard running, jumping with heavy contact thrown in for good measure. Its a recipe for knee and and soft tissue injuries. There isnt a club in the comp thats hasnt had their share of injuries. Singling out Freo as the only injury victim is laughable, no club has found an answer.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Afl is all hard running, jumping with heavy contact thrown in for good measure. Its a recipe for knee and and soft tissue injuries. There isnt a club in the comp thats hasnt had their share of injuries. Singling out Freo as the only injury victim is laughable, no club has found an answer.
Richmond found an answer haven't they?

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is a bit of discussion in this thread on overall injury numbers and some links to stats for 2016 and 2017. https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ent-free-agency-trade-thread.1185970/page-103

The stats certainly suggest that we were in the worst quartile both those years for games lost to injury. No-one has found stats for 2018 at this stage.

We have had some players on the list long term who have played very little - back in 2016 Morabito, Bennell, Alex Pearce, Apeness, in 2017 Bennell, Alex Pearce, Apeness, Zac Clarke. This, of course, impacts the stats, and we don't know who chooses to have them on the list and why. In some cases persevering pays off (Alex P hopefully) and in some cases it doesn't.

I don't know whether other clubs carry players who can't get on the park for such long periods. Certainly Collingwood carry Jamie Elliot, Ben Reid and Daniel Wells.

As others have said a lot of clubs have had significant injury problems this year, so who knows how we are tracking this year. I certainly can't remember a year where I feel we would be in the best quartile.

The other thing to consider is the game plan. If we run further and work harder than our opposition (I don't know what the stats say on this), as well as flying further, then it does not seem like a recipe for success to me.

Back