Injury 2018 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd think if GWS had either Richmond's or Ports recent runs with injury they would probably have a flag by now.

So many of their gun players seem to miss large amounts of footy.

Possibly, but if the best resourced club is also having massive issues then it’s not always an exact science.

If those clubs all continue to have the horror run next year, they'll be doing something about it for sure. We've allowed ours to run for years.
We've had a pretty good year for injuries considering we have Sandilands Bennell and Apeness on the books

Even Richmond have more injuries than us at the moment

We've had a pretty good year for injuries considering we have Sandilands Bennell and Apeness on the books

Even Richmond have more injuries than us at the moment

richmond have basically no injuries to their top liners. We have the best player in the comp out + the best ruckman just for starters. Additionally their injury list would be clear by the final ours would still be huge.

Wasn't leaving the treacherous minefield that was Fremantle Oval meant to reduce our injuries?

(Rhetorical question. Just being a smartarse. It still amazes me that some people pushed that agenda.)

richmond have basically no injuries to their top liners. We have the best player in the comp out + the best ruckman just for starters. Additionally their injury list would be clear by the final ours would still be huge.
So our s+c team only treats fringe players and theirs only top liners?

Plus on top of our injury list we have SHill, Pearce and Walters clearly playing under injury duress. Rich have the luxury of not having to do that.

Collingwood have an horrendous injury list that will probably derail their finals and they dont have the traveling to contend with. GWS have just got through a horror run as have Adelaide.
WC with Nic nat and Kennedy. Injuries are not only a Freo problem. .

I’m not saying they only happen to us. But they happen a lot to us. I think more than other teams.

Our list may not be as long as others at one given time, although the quality of the injury list and it's impact on field would be up there.

To put it simply, in 2016 we had Johnson, Sandilands, Fyfe & Pearce out for majority of the season bundled with list cloggers and a few debutants. Terrible season. 2017 we ended the second part of year with a few outs and Pearce being the only long-term one (I think?). We still did reasonably well since in my view this was the first real year of our rebuild and turning the list over. Now in 2018 we're going to get less from Fyfe, Sandilands, Johnson*, S.Hill, B.Hill, Blakely, Taberner & Darcy - on top of seeing no Logue, Spurr or Bennell YET we're basically going to do better than 2017 but people still want to question how we're going.

Edit: Johnson not Walters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sure its not just because you are paying more attention to Freo then other teams.

That’s plausible, though i reckon if you looked at games played at all levels for the last 100 players we’ve drafted, versus another club we’d come out poorly. Who can be bothered doing it though. Would take hours.

That’s plausible, though i reckon if you looked at games played at all levels for the last 100 players we’ve drafted, versus another club we’d come out poorly. Who can be bothered doing it though. Would take hours.

Well for a different metric we will soon have two players over 300 games. Which considering how often we travel is pretty damn good. West coast have had none.

To win a premiership every aspect of what goes into being a successful team needs to be considered. Injuries are clearly an area that we below par for and something needs to change. Whether that’s S&C staff, medical staff, our recruiting or our philosophy/risk tolerability I am not sure but a review is required. While we are not contending we should not be sending players back out injured or seeing repeat injuries from bringing players back too early

Well for a different metric we will soon have two players over 300 games. Which considering how often we travel is pretty damn good. West coast have had none.

Every club is going to play 22 players every week. That’s a given. I’m wondering about availability at lower levels. Who keeps their squad on the park the most?

A couple of things that I think need to be considered regarding (our) injury lists;
  • Players with long term injuries distort the club record. For us this includes A Pearce, Bennell and Apeness. With each of these players they have been persisted with because they are difficult to replace either because of position or pure footballing ability. A simple way to improve our injury record would be to not persist with players with long term injuries, however they effectively are replaced by longshot late picks. In the end it is a gamble the club takes due to the potential upside.
  • Collision injuries. Barlow and Fyfe have both had their share of these, and while the style of play may effect the likelihood of them occurring they are part of the nature of the game and the position a player has. To a large extent they are luck based.
  • Factors such as playing young players and/or playing old players impact the number of player/weeks off. A player like Sandilands/MJ/Fyfe/SHill may have a niggle which keeps him out of the best 22 for a week, but they aren't going to be playing him at Peel either.
For me the above things are not really a big factor in assessing our injuries. I accept them, and while I think a judgement could be made about the failure to get the long term injured players rehabiliated I am just nowhere near qualified for that kind of assessment.

Regarding joints, soft tissue type injuries and rehabilitation, this is an area that I think the club should be able to look at itself and benchmark. All teams would have them and while there could be variations between teams there also should be a band that teams can be expected to fall within in terms of numbers of injuries and length of time out due to these injuries.

I think as a well resourced club we should have the ambition to be achieving best practice in this area, and I strongly believe that it is the club's goal to achieve this. As Galvo says, it is one of the core factors for success.

As posters we can comment but I think we actually have very little data to evaluate how the club is going in this regard.

Farq - Harley's back to TBA. Might be time to put a fork in him...

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-07%20at%204.15.24%20PM.png

Farq - Harley's back to TBA. Might be time to put a fork in him...

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-07%20at%204.15.24%20PM.png

Logue is going to end up with an ACL the way that injury is moving higher up his leg. Didn't it start in his foot? And Hill again unfortunately, it can be hard to take a trick on the injury front at times.

I've seen Stephen Hill play from coming off TBA, its possible Bennell still needs some scans done to figure out how it recovered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back