Injury SUNS Injury Thread

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it's over played the amount Day played down back it wasn't that much it was more as a spare man. Forward is definitely his main role.
Yeah, IIRC the trio of talls played forward, with Day going back as need and sometimes injury meant he started down back sometimes. As that season progressed, Wright kept getting selected and Lynch had his best season to date. I'm excited to see how the 3 of them can gel again, with Day's versitility just a bonus.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Ablett was bad injury management. Yes. It didnt help the medical staff with how much power he had to refuse treatments or declare his ability to play and walk straight in to the side.

Omeara has a degenerative knee issue and was always going to require management we knew this before he was drafted and the club sent him to play limited minutes in neafl where he would reguarly have flare ups. Yes the medical team could have done better with the foresight that he had a degenerative knee.

Hanley is a different kettle o fish. A dislocated shoulder is a direct result of his dislocated shoulder from 4 weeks ago but prior to that it wasnt an issue. As dew said it could come out in 10 games or last all season. It was bad luck it happened in half a game of footy. It was always going to come out at some point until surgery was completed.
The medicos and hanley would have tested the strength, durability and flexibility of the shoulder enough to be recommended to the selection committee. And no doubt he would have been tested again prior to game. Now its another story if Hanley kept quiet and assured the medicos he was fine. After all medicos have to trust the player is telling them honestly how painful or weak they feel.

I am an optimist and appreciate others have a negative view on things, but i will continue to believe our club do their due diligence in all aspects of day to day events. Things have changed in the last year that point to the club having things together.

So yes the hanley injury was bad luck. Unless you can prove the club failed in their due diligence to test hanley adequately enough.

I don’t think we are going to see the player we hoped Hanley would be, not his fault just a mix of personal injury, family tragedy and age. We rolled the dice and they landed on Malcheski mark 2

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
I don’t think we are going to see the player we hoped Hanley would be, not his fault just a mix of personal injury, family tragedy and age. We rolled the dice and they landed on Malcheski mark 2
I agree, It's no ones fault.

These things happen, In an alternate universe he turns out to be one of the greatest pick ups we ever make.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hanley will hopefully play his role. But yeah he isnt a star player for us. Was at his best for brisbane on a half back flank best we can hope for is a rosa type wing role.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Wasnt there a rumour going around that he'd reinjured it last week. i swear i read that somewhere?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Schrimshaw :(

http://m.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2018-04-17/alpha-sport-injury-update-round-5

Gold Coast will be without midfielder Pearce Hanleyfor an extended period after he underwent surgery on his dislocated shoulder.

Joining him on the sidelines will be ruckman Tom Nicholls, who also had surgery on an injured shoulder.

General Manager – Football Operations, Jon Haines, told the Alpha Sport Injury Update that both players are set to undergo a lengthy rehabilitation process.

“Both the boys had surgery yesterday on their respective shoulders and both went really well, which is pleasing,” Haines said.

“They’ll obviously commence their rehabilitation pretty much straight away.

“Pearce is looking at about a 12 week recovery period and Tommy is looking at a slightly longer one of about 16 weeks.

Forward Ben Ainsworth copped a head knock against West Coast on the weekend which saw his night end early with a concussion.

He will go through the normal concussion protocols, with a decision on his availability for Sunday’s QClash to be made later in the week.

“He got a knock in the game and he failed the concussion test during the game.

“We’ll have to wait and see how he progresses through those particular tests as to whether he’s going to play this week or not.”

Gold Coast’s NEAFL team were unable to come away unscathed from their game, with Jack Scrimshaw and Josh Schoenfeld suffering injuries.

“Jack has got a depressed fracture of the cheekbone, so he’ll miss between 4 and 6 weeks, depending on how that progresses.

“Josh has experienced some tightness in his hamstring, so he’ll be a test this week.

“At this stage, he’ll be 50-50 to play this weekend.”

Meanwhile, forward Peter Wright has progressed with his rehabilitation from his calf injury and will continue to be monitored.

“He’s getting on top of the calf injury, which has been a really frustrating one for him.

“He’s showing some really good signs – he ran really well on the weekend – so he’ll have another solid week of work this week and then we’ll assess him after that

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We had 8 players sit out last week between both teams , 3 where sitting on there ass in Perth in rosa , spencer , Powell and 5 injured players in wright , ah chee , Nicholls , Hanley and Lemmens , those 3 in Perth should play this week , but it’s looking likely none of those injured players are playing now . Adding to that injured list is scrimshaw , schoenfeld and maybe Ainsworth , that could be 20% of our list sidelined again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hanley is the only best 22 injury as Wright and Ah Chee are imminent to return and fringe selections based on form and match fitness, so there isn't really a whole lot to be concerned for. Lynch's ankle is our biggest concern, followed by Day's endurance through 4 games, the Ainsworth's concussion (which I really can't believe Le Cras got away with - Michael Christian has now made 5 rulings that have gone against us, pretty much declaring that Suns players are fair game).

You'd prefer to see a shorter injury list, but remember that we can activate Category B rookies for long term injuries, so the Jacobs will likely be activated this week since they are both on fire and being groomed for Senior footy, with Dawson made Captain of the NEAFL team and Heron going to Perth as a non-playing emergency.

This also brings up an interesting argument for mid-season trading, free agency and a draft. In the NFL, teams can only have 53 players, but they can place injured players on their "injured reserve list" and bring in new players from their practice squad (similar to our rookie list) as well as trade or sign players from other clubs or off the street.

JRyan23

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
IMG_0083.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
GOLD Coast's Darcy MacPherson has fractured his leg and will miss up to 14 weeks.

The Suns small forward landed awkwardly in the second quarter of Sunday's QClash against Brisbane and was immediately taken from the field.

MacPherson had x-rays on Monday that confirmed the worst.

He has fractured his right leg and will miss 12-14 weeks, putting in doubt the rest of his season.

It's a huge setback for the 20-year-old, who had made a home in Gold Coast's forward line early in the season.

Against the Lions, he kicked two first quarter goals after winning free kicks for his relentless pressure.

MacPherson's injury adds to long-term setbacks for Pearce Hanley and Tom Nicholls, who both had shoulder surgery recently and will miss big chunks of the season.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
GOLD Coast's Darcy MacPherson has fractured his leg and will miss up to 14 weeks.

The Suns small forward landed awkwardly in the second quarter of Sunday's QClash against Brisbane and was immediately taken from the field.

MacPherson had x-rays on Monday that confirmed the worst.

He has fractured his right leg and will miss 12-14 weeks, putting in doubt the rest of his season.

It's a huge setback for the 20-year-old, who had made a home in Gold Coast's forward line early in the season.

Against the Lions, he kicked two first quarter goals after winning free kicks for his relentless pressure.

MacPherson's injury adds to long-term setbacks for Pearce Hanley and Tom Nicholls, who both had shoulder surgery recently and will miss big chunks of the season.

Yeah was expecting bad news. Was hoping high ankle sprain which is pretty bad too. A fracture. Damn. What a setback he was one of the distinct improvers this season.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I'm sorry but I just have to say WTF with Wright's injury?
He was supposed to be in the mix for round 1 and now it's late May June?
Because he sure as hell won't be going to China
Dew on 3AW said he's a couple of weeks away and they'll ruck him in the NEAFL to fast track match fitness.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also in that game, Harrison Wigg re-injured his ankle.

“Harrison has refractured the fracture that he had through the preseason so he’ll be in a moonboot for the next six weeks and then we’ll reassess after that period of time,” Haines said.

Back