Injury 2018 Injury Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I’ve copped a smashing here. Although not explaining myself properly I think you’re being disingenuous with these quotes and my main point is being lost.

I never bagged the club for getting Henderson or Taylor or needing them to be psychic.
Those two players despite not having a history of injury will now have potential issues in future, they will require management. This isn’t a criticism of them or the club.
My criticism of the club is having recruited other injury prone players and or retaining others on top of players we already have to manage.

Injury prone this year
Menzel
McCarthy
Ablett
Scooter
Gregson
Cockatoo

We already knew prior to this year their concerns. We know we have to manage half a dozen players even if they miraculously didn’t get injured again.

In future we now have to worry about
Taylor - overuse issues require management.
Henderson - having ongoing issues this year and who knows what his return date is.

I acknowledge they have not been injury prone in the past, I’m just merely adding them to our bubble wrap list. They will be prone to issues now.
That is 8 players we have to worry about and I’m not adding Thurlow or Parfitt to that list, I’m crossing my fingers they are just good to go from now.

You can’t have 8 players in cotton wool and expect to win a flag, you are going to have issues and if not they will miss a number of games anyway due to ‘management’
That is why I want to trade anyone with a history of injury with value. Cockatoo has that and I’m hoping Gregson and McCarthy have good years so we can get value to trade them also.
I don’t have an issue with any individual player, I have an issue with them collectively.
Next year we will only have to manage
Ablett
Scooter
Menzel
Taylor
Henderson

Our list management has been terrible since our flag years because whilst It’s all well and good to support a couple of players like a Menzel, McCarthy or Cowan through tough times, don’t go and get or support even more players longer than you need to like Simpson, Hogan, McIntosh, Vardy, Smedts, Delaney, Scooter, Cockatoo, Gregson and Mitch Clark!
Know your limits!

Id agree that Menzel has been injury prone, and has to be managed. But in terms of this year so far he's batting 100%. He will be managed for games but that does not make him injury prone currently.

Maybe splitting hairs...:D

GO Catters

So all of Henry, Kolodjashnij, Stewart, Blicavs and House in the one defense. Too unbalanced.

House or Gardner only debut if they decide to play Blicavs as the second ruckman.
If you look at my match ups in the toy preview thread you will find I don't have Henry, Kolodjashnij, Stewart, Blicavs and House down there at the one time,but no matter what we need to go in Guthfree this week.

Id agree that Menzel has been injury prone, and has to be managed. But in terms of this year so far he's batting 100%. He will be managed for games but that does not make him injury prone currently.

Maybe splitting hairs...:D

GO Catters

I’m wrapped for Menzel, but yeah best case is having to be managed/rested even without injury. He will get sore, his knees will always be a concern.
4 games in a row is a great effort but when you have to say that same thing about Ablett, Cockatoo, Scooter, Gregson and McCarthy it’s a recipe for disaster.

To win a flag you need luck with injuries, or close to a fit list, our luck needs to be even greater because we take so many chances on players.
This year on top of those 6, we copped a bitter blow with our only 2 key defenders going down. We already had an uphill battle but things are so much harder than they needed to be.

Could be many things.

Arthroscopic clean ups can be removal or loose or detaching cartilage. New areas can occur or become apparent only after previous areas are removed.

Ever had to rewire or replumb a portion of a house only to reveal more and more after each room is completed?

Same theory.

Im not saying this is Hendo's issue, more a general point as to how it can happen.

GO Catters
Worse case scenario it's Mooney/Rooked,just plain fooked.

I tend to agree, but what does letting him go achieve? We get rid of him and that means we can add one more rookie to our list at the next draft. A highly speculative rookie no doubt. We know Linc can play, and he’s young, so it’s worth giving him every chance. But I do understand a line has to be drawn at some point.

Fair enough. But we can’t keep perenially injured players on the list forever. At some point you have to say enoughs enough and cut them loose, and use the money saved to bring in someone else. Hopefully he stays fit from now on though. We could really use his forward pressure.

They've done well considering the inside 50 count against them.

It'd be a problem if we'd lost by huge margins, but alas there's no reason to change things at the minute.
I'm with ya man. I like it the way it is.
If we start having games where talls are monstering us then bring in one of the big boys but not now.
Just go Zuthrie for Thurlow. If in a few games one of Thurlow , Henry, Cunico are performing too poorly bring Zuth back in if he's earned it.

Mark Young, Geelong physiotherapist on injured players + their recovery.
Gregson good news, sprained his mid foot, not related to previous foot injury, won't miss too much time.
Henderson, not making the progress wanted. Surgery yesterday, with a good result + still footy for him this year.
McCarthy, Simpson + Narkle - full training - returning through VFL in next few weeks.
Gaz is running + joining training later this week.

Short Term Injury List:
Ablett
Gregson
McCarthy
Narkle
Simpson
Taylor

Mid Term Injury List:
Cockatoo
Cuthrie
Henderson

No Long Term Injury List

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news-and-media/gmhba-health-report

Gregson good news, sprained his mid foot, not related to previous foot injury, won't miss too much time.
Henderson, not making the progress wanted. Surgery yesterday, with a good result + still footy for him this year.
McCarthy, Simpson + Narkle - full training - returning through VFL in next few weeks.

Short Term Injury List:
Ablett
Gregson
McCarthy
Narkle
Simpson
Taylor

Mid Term Injury List:
Cockatoo
Cuthrie
Henderson

No Long Term Injury List

Cockatoo is mid term? Oh ffs I’m gonna throw the toys out of the cot!
I thought he was short term.

Fair enough. But we can’t keep perenially injured players on the list forever. At some point you have to say enoughs enough and cut them loose, and use the money saved to bring in someone else. Hopefully he stays fit from now on though. We could really use his forward pressure.

Agree on all points. It’s not unprecedented that a young injury-plagued player ends up putting together a long career. I remember here in Adelaide Hamish Hartlett had soft tissue injury after soft tissue injury. Since then he’s basically played 100 consecutive games. Hoping for the same for Linc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Decided to keep track off it.
tracking I50's conceded, oppo goals scored, oppo scores conceded (G + Beh) and oppo Goal accuracy %.

Last week we had the 8th best opposition goals conceded %. So despite conceding the most inside 50's there were 10 sides that fared worse than our goal conceded of 24% of entries. This week we've improved to equal 5th yet still are 18th for I50's conceded.

I'd say our defence so far hasn't cracked as predicted.

Exactly this, our defence, while undermanned and inexperienced, is currently our most inform area of the ground.
Leave it alone, it's working.
The issues we have are midfield and forward pressure.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-18/ablett-going-well-but-no-return-date-locked-in

GEELONG superstar Gary Ablett is edging towards a return from the hamstring injury which has sidelined him since round three.

The Cats are still refusing to put a definitive time frame on the two-time Brownlow Medal winner's comeback but they issued a positive progress report on Wednesday.

"Gary's going well ... (he) ran again today and his running sessions have been completed pretty well," club physiotherapist Mark Young said.

"He'll join in football later this week and from there he shouldn't be too far away."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-18/ablett-going-well-but-no-return-date-locked-in

Short Term Injury List:
Ablett
Gregson
McCarthy
Narkle
Simpson
Taylor

Mid Term Injury List:
Cockatoo
Cuthrie
Henderson

No Long Term Injury List

Gee I'd love to hear a bit more on Taylor...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back