Training 2018 IntraClub Thursday 22nd Feb at 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he get 20 possessions per game because other players get the ball but give it to him to kick because he is meant to be a highly skilled deliverer of the ball? Or does he win his own ball through his clever intercept work, but not apparently via winning contested possessions? A serious question because I missed most of his games last year, being OS with at best a dodgy stream to watch with slow wifi.
He gets a lot of recieves, but was amongst our best for intercept possessions too. Contested ball is part of what he needs to work on. By no means is he the perfect player, but there’s little doubt at this point that he can forge a long term career.

I get stuck into him a bit. The ridiculous hype that I read on this board in the first half of last year made me watch him closely and frankly I didn't like what I saw. I'd describe his current style as cheap - A Poor Man's Joel Bowden comes to mind. I like a few of his attributes, but really dislike the way he plays.
Agree here. The hype is crazy for a guy that never mans up.

Does he get 20 possessions per game because other players get the ball but give it to him to kick because he is meant to be a highly skilled deliverer of the ball? Or does he win his own ball through his clever intercept work, but not apparently via winning contested possessions? A serious question because I missed most of his games last year, being OS with at best a dodgy stream to watch with slow wifi.
The way the game is played, there are a lot of opportunities to out number opponents and intercept mark. He does that very well, he’s clever and a good user of the ball.

Hard to say whether his contested ball stats are low because he can’t win his own ball or whether it’s under instruction. Let’s face it, above average ball users are at a premium on our list. He’s a bit like Pendlebury in that regard, much better with ball in hand creating play than, shovelling it out from under a pack to somebody who can’t kick ( cough Treloar, cough Adams)../

The 2013 draft to me is the what could have been draft for Collingwood. We were pipped for both Bontemptelli and later Hunt whom we were both keen on. Our top ten picks have both been injury riddled and in hindsight probably would have been better using the pick for White in the draft. Langdon has been a win and the jury is still out on Scharenberg who is blessed with talent but lacks pace and hardness. Will be interesting to see how he develops this year.

The 2013 draft to me is the what could have been draft for Collingwood. We were pipped for both Bontemptelli and later Hunt whom we were both keen on. Our top ten picks have both been injury riddled and in hindsight probably would have been better using the pick for White in the draft. Langdon has been a win and the jury is still out on Scharenberg who is blessed with talent but lacks pace and hardness. Will be interesting to see how he develops this year.
Crisp, Crouch, Merrett and Brown are the obvious ommisons by all clubs. I still based on what we’ve seen with Freeman and Shaz, they were solid picks at 6 and 10. You can’t predict injury issues such as these. I thought Freeman was going to be a Brownlow medalist, really big shame he can’t get on the park. Many have fallen in that category Rusling, Williams...it’s just bad luck.

Poor ball getting? Not true. This is the problem, it’s a premature call on a bloke who can become a very good player for us down back, he can be more than just a back up defender.
His role as an outlet player because Of his good skills I grant you, inflate his stats. I should have said his contested ball capacity . I see Langdon and Howe well ahead of him for the same player type role. I think he will find it tough to maintain a best 22 spot because of this.

Given he averages about 20 disposals in only a handful of games I’d say his ball getting skills are just fine. His issue isn’t getting the ball, he reads the play well and is one of our top intercept players, his issue currently is his pace, and his hardness at the contest. He’ll likely never be quick, but he was improving in his contested work towards the end of last year. He also needs to start looking for more dangerous options, which he was doing more of in the last couple of games too.

What a load of utter garbage. He’s no star yet and he may never be, but to write him off as a back up defender who may not reach 50 games is absolute tripe.
Apex your emotive response highlights why I put the comment up. I said ball getting not ball receiving skills are poor. His cp to total possession ratios highlight this point, especially when compared to his 2 competitors for a spot in the best 22 in Langdon and Howe. his pressure stats are very poor relative to those 2 , and he is a lot slower than either of them to the point where it makes him a far less versatile defender, given he really can't mark the small quicker forwards.

He is inexperienced and has had a woeful run of luck. Hell I admire his resilience. But going forward when a player is well behind his competitors for a spot in the 22, in a middle of the table team, I think an unbiased dispassionate observer would tend to guess he might not have an extensive career. I didn't write the note to highlight this, I wrote it to suggest we stop expecting him to be a superstar and hopefully less is written on him in these forums .
And apex I suggest if you want to use stats to aggressively knock someone's viewpoint you should look into those stats before jumping the gun. Love your work mate but your data analysis and interpretation of it needs to lift

Apologies to all if I created a Shazz stir. I watched the game , and for someone who has a pessimistic view of our current prospects, there were a number of layers who's performances gave me a cause FO some optimism .
I thought Sier was a standout amongst the young group. Given his size he could come to play a Cripps type role, and take on the big bodied midfielders like Kennedy , Cripps etc. I don't think a tendency to handball is a problem if the recipient is a pact wells or Treloar or a genius like Pendles. Giving those guys more time for outside possessions would be a huge bonus for the speed of out ball movement.
Aish. I have been a detractor of his recruitment , given his avg size and avg speed, but I was pleasantly surprise by the strength of his marking. It's a hopeful rather than confident call, but maybe he can fill a link role between he miss and fwds given his excellent distribution skills. Think Watts like , I know he a lot shorter but his display gives some hope.
Murphy and Stephenson give us skill sets our list has been lacking. It was a practice match but their moments in play were promising .

Apex your emotive response highlights why I put the comment up. I said ball getting not ball receiving skills are poor. His cp to total possession ratios highlight this point, especially when compared to his 2 competitors for a spot in the best 22 in Langdon and Howe. his pressure stats are very poor relative to those 2 , and he is a lot slower than either of them to the point where it makes him a far less versatile defender, given he really can't mark the small quicker forwards.
So a 15 gamer who’s only just regaining confidence in his body isn’t up to the contested standard of a 50+ and 100+ gamer. I am just so shocked. Clearly he will struggle to make 50 games.
He is inexperienced and has had a woeful run of luck. Hell I admire his resilience.
At least you got that right.
But going forward when a player is well behind his competitors for a spot in the 22, in a middle of the table team, I think an unbiased dispassionate observer would tend to guess he might not have an extensive career.
He’s really not that far behind at all, and unbiased observers from other teams seem to think pretty highly of him. Perhaps what you think is an unbiased view is actually a common problem with Collingwood supporters, who write players off prematurely because they’re not instant stars.
I didn't write the note to highlight this, I wrote it to suggest we stop expecting him to be a superstar and hopefully less is written on him in these forums .
^See, this is crap. I challenge you to find a post from even the most positive Scharenberg fan over the past 12-18 months saying he is going to be a superstar. Most acknowledge that his development has been hurt and he’ll probably never be the player we hoped he’d be when drafted, but at the same time he is perfectly capable of being a long term player.
And apex I suggest if you want to use stats to aggressively knock someone's viewpoint you should look into those stats before jumping the gun. Love your work mate but your data analysis and interpretation of it needs to lift
Cut the condescending bullshit. I’m well aware of his contested ratios etc and I’ve already said multiple times in the past few pages that he needs to improve his contested work.

I don’t get all the critisicm of a 15 gamer.

Shaz will be a gun, give him a full year to develop.

Serious injuries are the only thing that’s held him back.
Collingwood syndrome. If they don’t walk in and play like a superstar from game one then they’re a bust that will struggle to reach 50 games :drunk:

Crisp, Crouch, Merrett and Brown are the obvious ommisons by all clubs. I still based on what we’ve seen with Freeman and Shaz, they were solid picks at 6 and 10. You can’t predict injury issues such as these. I thought Freeman was going to be a Brownlow medalist, really big shame he can’t get on the park. Many have fallen in that category Rusling, Williams...it’s just bad luck.

This. At the time everyone thought we had chosen excellently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure about that. There were a lot of grumbling over the Freeman selection at the time. I was furious we didn’t choose McCarthy.

No they didn't. Knightmare was very critical of Freeman at pick 10. He didn't believe he won enough of his own ball or that he got enough possessions. He also felt that he ran in straight lines. And I am sure there were a few people concerned about Scharenberg's toes which were going to require an operation before he played. So concerned that he dropped from contention at number 3 to six in the draft.

Knightmare had Freeman at 15, praised his pace and ability to carry the ball but said this: ' Freeman is a receiver who despite his strong body doesn’t win a whole lot of his own ball inside the contest but then doesn’t tend to find much of it outside the contest either as someone who generally likes to receive by hand and then go for his run with the ball and take on the game and do damage. I am concerned about his ability to find the footy at the next level despite the damage he can do with ball in hand because he’s not even in the TAC Cup level a high volume accumulator and a relatively low volume contested ball winner without that natural linkup ability. Being really unsure that he develops either an inside or outside game I’d like to see Freeman with his strength, athleticism and skillset develop into a rebounding back flanker despite his current role and be used as a rebounding weapon off a back flank as I’m just not sure he can win enough of his own ball inside the contest with his midfield game so reliant on those around him.'

You could say that about many players on any list.
True. So Scharenberg has got to show skill factors that compensate for his deficiencies - be Pendlebury like for instances.

EDIT So in a sense we drafted 2 guys that relied fairly heavily on others for their possessions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back