Training 2018 IntraClub Thursday 22nd Feb at 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Brown at 10 is a mistake looking back. Didn’t turn in to the player we wanted. Played ok in the GF on Riewoldt after a late call up but never kicked on after doing his ACL his career went to s**t. Not worthy of 10. A pick in the 60s is wheee Brown should’ve gone.

Geez TG, your hindsight is extraordinary. In this post you admit that Brown never kicked on after doing his ACL. So without that injury, he might have been worthy of pick 10?

As others have noted, his efforts were criticial to our flag. Ask Dogs fans what they think of Boyd. Many think he was/is a bargain, for his efforts in their premiership.

A skewed assessment of a career I admit - but flags are so rare.

Nathan Brown at 10 is a mistake looking back. Didn’t turn in to the player we wanted. Played ok in the GF on Riewoldt after a late call up but never kicked on after doing his ACL his career went to s**t. Not worthy of 10. A pick in the 60s is wheee Brown should’ve gone.

So who should have gone higher in the draft, Nathan Brown or Leon Davis?

Brown didn’t just play okay, he owned Riewoldt. You would take Brown at ten in that draft everyday of the week just for that finals performance.

Sorry, I'm not getting into that sort of hypothetical discussion because that is just a huge rabbit hole, moreso saying in terms of talent Riewoldt probably might have been the better pick.
Edit: jack Riewoldt would have been gold, agree.

(Lost concentration)

Whilst jack is not Nick, he’d be terrific for us.

And a much better player overall then Nathan J Brown.

But Brown was still terrific for us most years.

So who should have gone higher in the draft, Nathan Brown or Leon Davis?

Brown didn’t just play okay, he owned Riewoldt. You would take Brown at ten in that draft everyday of the week just for that finals performance.
Agreed. Never had a problem with our picks in that draft and never lost my respect for Brown's duals with Riewoldt in the finals. If injury or anything else cruelled his later years, I have not been critical of him as a player. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Edit: jack Riewoldt would have been gold, agree.

(Lost concentration)

Whilst jack is not Nick, he’d be terrific for us.

And a much better player overall then Nathan J Brown.

But Brown was still terrific for us most years.
At the time, right or wrong, I accepted that Riewoldt was too short for a KPP role.

Geez TG, your hindsight is extraordinary. In this post you admit that Brown never kicked on after doing his ACL. So without that injury, he might have been worthy of pick 10?

As others have noted, his efforts were criticial to our flag. Ask Dogs fans what they think of Boyd. Many think he was/is a bargain, for his efforts in their premiership.

A skewed assessment of a career I admit - but flags are so rare.
Nathan Brown was forever living off the GF game but in hindsight did Riewoldt just have a shocker that day anyway? Brown really isn’t any good. Even Henry Schade has a day out on Buddy.

And probably 2011 flag too maybe even 2012 although Buckley was coaching.
Nathan Brown was forever living off the GF game but in hindsight did Riewoldt just have a shocker that day anyway? Brown really isn’t any good. Even Henry Schade has a day out on Buddy.
Never change our dear penguin loving poster.
That’s gold, all of it.

Premiership player, and will be a life member, yep horrible career with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. Good one.

Riewoldt dropped his bundle in Grand Finals 2 weeks in a row did he? Of course he must have because Buddy had a down Round 3 last year.

Don’t even want to start on the rest of your blasphemy.

Lol. Good one.

Riewoldt dropped his bundle in Grand Finals 2 weeks in a row did he? Of course he must have because Buddy had a down Round 3 last year.

Don’t even want to start on the rest of your blasphemy.
Riewoldt was poor in 2010 he pulled his hammy off the bone and never recovered back to his best for the whole year. He was lucky to be even playing finals.

Riewoldt was poor in 2010 he pulled his hammy off the bone and never recovered back to his best for the whole year. He was lucky to be even playing finals.

I tend to agree with your rating of Brown. He was an honest battler and that's all. Yes he had a couple of pretty good grand finals in 2010, but Riewoldt wasn't fully fit and was still the best tall forward from either team over the course of those games.

Robbie Gray.
He was pick 55. Did you have a pre draft vision? I can't believe you claim you would have picked Gray at 10 or think that it's reasonable to think the Collingwood recruiting team should have done so.

He was part of a premiership team. By definition, anyone who is part of a premiership team was a good choice. Thing is, the game changed in the last 5 years and now it's all about running and athleticism. So he was the right choice, but the decision to get rid of him was right too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back