2018 JLT series vs Brisbane (Moreton Bay) and GWS (Blacktown)

Remove this Banner Ad

Florent, Fox and Stoddart were all impressive but to me Florent is the only one I'd consider for a round one selection. The other two probably need a little fine-tuning before they play senior footy but they're close.

I'm not a massive fan of Newman and Cunningham but there is no way they aren't selected with the numbers they got.

Marsh was good but I don't see a spot for him with Grundy and Aliir to come back.

I'm indifferent regarding the ruck situation. Towers is OK as ruck but gives us some run. Cameron is better as ruck but doesn't give us some run. Same as Sinclair. IMO only one of those three can be in the side at any given time, because Towers just hasn't done enough other than pinch-hit in the ruck to be a lock.

Rohan has every right to have his head somewhere other than footy given his situation, but if that's the case he needs to be in the reserves getting that balance right. Cannot justify selecting him in the senior side with his output over the past few weeks.

Low-key disappointed with the JLT series for Hewett and Heeney both of whom i am massive fans of but eh, I back em in to lift when it matters.

One thing that really stood out to me is... we miss Hannebery. You don't realise how crucial he is to our side til he's gone.
Towers will be playing r1

Not sure Aliir will be playing r1

What did you guys think of that umpiring?

Meh. Pre-season. I personally couldn't care less. Umpires would be rusty like players. I am more concerned with how the team is travelling for round 1.

Towers will be playing r1

Not sure Aliir will be playing r1

Towers will be but I think his only leg is that he can offer a bit of pace and also take rucking duties. Take away that little bonus and I dont think he did enough. And Aliir won't be playing R1 but I'm assuming they'll want to get him in the side along with Grundy. Marsh can't survive that

Towers will be but I think his only leg is that he can offer a bit of pace and also take rucking duties. Take away that little bonus and I dont think he did enough. And Aliir won't be playing R1 but I'm assuming they'll want to get him in the side along with Grundy. Marsh can't survive that
Rampe has to come in to

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Once stods starts eating food he will be a very handy senior player.

Florent has improved over the off season.

Jones needs ti settle down.playing on every chance he gets hurts us more often than it helps

Fox had a solid jlt series

We cant kick

Buddy looks to be in decent form

Rose is yuck

Dan robinson * see above

Rohan wasn't great can't argue with that but a positive was that when the game became really competitive or close he seemed to come to life and get in the game. For a guy that hasn't had much of a pre season for a few years and started later in the year I hope it's just a bit of self preservation. Rather than stick the knife in now I'm happy to see how he responds (dropping him for round 1 isn't going to happen so why waste time on it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
k

I'm indifferent regarding the ruck situation. Towers is OK as ruck but gives us some run. Cameron is better as ruck but doesn't give us some run. Same as Sinclair. IMO only one of those three can be in the side at any given time, because Towers just hasn't done enough other than pinch-hit in the ruck to be a lock.

This is a weird read, man. Towers gets selected as an interchange flanker/wing who has the added benefit that he can ruck if needed (or play CHF, lol), sparing Reid, Aliir, etc. His position in the side is in no way dependent on his ruck-work.

swannyfan

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wall St. Turtles
Seeing the performances of these youngsters, particularly stoddart and mccartin really has me excited to see what Ling can do.

Cooma

Debutant
Aug 31, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Good hit out for the boys. As others have mentioned, we were irresistible in spells, moving the ball quickly and accurately but then going back to bombing it blind in other patches.

A main issue I saw was when the pressure was turned up a notch we started the crumble. If these players can work on their composure we can make sure those “bombing long” spells are few and far between. There is obviously a time and a place, but teams like GWS and Richmond are just going to lap it up if we play that sort of style against them.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Parker really influential.
Hewett lot of minutes fwd, Heeney mainly mid.
Really like that we have number of players we can rotate through both areas (incl of course Paps/KJ and hopefully JPK this season as well).

Florent 83% of game time. Solid performance and unlikely to get those minutes unless a likely rd1 starter.

Undersized defence held up relatively well. Mills we knew was capable of playing above his height, pleasantly surprised with the efforts of Fox in that regard.
For me Fox's performances down back have been arguably the standout of the pre-season.

Only recall seeing Jones in one centre square bounce and he broke free for the clearance. Like to see him in there more often, he brings a different dynamic.
Good to see KJ up and about, still very much a valuable member of our best 22.

I like that we are trying to control the ball/tempo more, but some of the decision making/execution still needs work. I thought we were caught out going into the corridor too early and allowing GWS to challenge/take possession in our half.

Our disposal out of our back 50, particularly when we created a turnover, was also an issue. I reckon Papley was the target of our outlet kick on 3/4 occasions.
We need to ensure a marking option for that kick. In the past Reid/Towers/ruckman have primarily been that choice. Noticeable that Reid has been staying mainly deep fwd in our pre-season games (except of course for his mandatory loose man in defence minutes).

We've invested much more in the 3 pre-season games than normal and pleased with the attitude/performances.
Results are of course not the be all at this time of the year, but 3 wins in the pre-season; believe the last time we did that was 2012. :)

Didn't see the game but looking at the stats and going off last week too, Parker looks primed for another huge year.

Looks like George will play more of an extractor role, meaning more handpasses than kicks. This is a bit of a shame as he along Bud and Newman are our best field kicks. Still he looks primed to take another step forward.

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As has been mentioned, we did quite a bit of long bombing. I’m wondering how much of this was experimental, and how much will remain for the home and away season?

I guess gws have the speed to counter that, by getting plenty of players back to fill space. Brisbane last week weren’t able to do the same.

If we are going to play tall in the forward line we may have to get used to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back