2018 JLT series vs Brisbane (Moreton Bay) and GWS (Blacktown)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure how gws foot skills made us look like a vfl team when our kicking efficiency was recorded at 70% and theirs at 64%

I think at times there is a fixation around here about our poor kicking, unless we kick at 100% it will be echoed in every thread.

You dont need elite skills all you need is 2hours of intensity and forward pressure and the result takes care of itself.

Watched both now. Nothing really changed from prior years besides personnel.

Melican will be a star. Lloyd is better. The usuals are still there doing what they do. High hopes for Florent. Trust Hayward will kick on.

We will make finals again. Just need to nail the games we should and win our fair share of the toss ups. Turn up and play in September and let's see what happens.

Always excited to see guys like Fox etc stick their hand up.

Parker really influential.
Hewett lot of minutes fwd, Heeney mainly mid.
Really like that we have number of players we can rotate through both areas (incl of course Paps/KJ and hopefully JPK this season as well).

Florent 83% of game time. Solid performance and unlikely to get those minutes unless a likely rd1 starter.

Undersized defence held up relatively well. Mills we knew was capable of playing above his height, pleasantly surprised with the efforts of Fox in that regard.
For me Fox's performances down back have been arguably the standout of the pre-season.

Only recall seeing Jones in one centre square bounce and he broke free for the clearance. Like to see him in there more often, he brings a different dynamic.
Good to see KJ up and about, still very much a valuable member of our best 22.

I like that we are trying to control the ball/tempo more, but some of the decision making/execution still needs work. I thought we were caught out going into the corridor too early and allowing GWS to challenge/take possession in our half.

Our disposal out of our back 50, particularly when we created a turnover, was also an issue. I reckon Papley was the target of our outlet kick on 3/4 occasions.
We need to ensure a marking option for that kick. In the past Reid/Towers/ruckman have primarily been that choice. Noticeable that Reid has been staying mainly deep fwd in our pre-season games (except of course for his mandatory loose man in defence minutes).

We've invested much more in the 3 pre-season games than normal and pleased with the attitude/performances.
Results are of course not the be all at this time of the year, but 3 wins in the pre-season; believe the last time we did that was 2012. :)
Really good post mate. Great contribution. Thanks.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
I think at times there is a fixation around here about our poor kicking, unless we kick at 100% it will be echoed in every thread.

You dont need elite skills all you need is 2hours of intensity and forward pressure and the result takes care of itself.

I thought our disposal was pretty good. We did a lot more short kicks than our usual last year. Unless that was because of the lack of pressure of the trial game it seems a signal for the year.
A lot of the recent recruits were picked because of their foot skills. Florent and Cameron, who will both play a few games this year, are both pretty good distributors. So's Stoddard.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought our disposal was pretty good. We did a lot more short kicks than our usual last year. Unless that was because of the lack of pressure of the trial game it seems a signal for the year.
A lot of the recent recruits were picked because of their foot skills. Florent and Cameron, who will both play a few games this year, are both pretty good distributors. So's Stoddard.

No dramas with implementing something different into ball movement with the shorter kicking shown thus far but seriously some of the short kicks attempted are just dumb decision making, travelling distances the equal of an Auskicker's handball.:rolleyes: Josh Kennedy Champion that he is one of the main offenders.

I think another thing that’s gone under the radar was how hungry Buddy was in the JLT matches. Granted he’s a competitive beast even when we’re losing by ten goals. But seeing him getting up the field to win his own footy and using his strength to bully opponents was awesome to see considering they were only pre-season games. He is probably the greatest mental footballer I’ve ever seen.

Btw I don’t mean mental as in nuts. I’m talking just mentally switches on every single week and is incapable of not giving his all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rose's figures were surely inflated by kicking 3 goals ?

On Rose, I'm done with him. I don't like critiquing or writing off young and inexperienced players, but Rose is basically the type of player that I just cannot tolerate. That show-boating, champagne footy style that's all about the rewards rather than the work. He does it in the NEAFL, waits for the easy ball so he can get on the end of it and have a Stevie J moment. And he did it in the JLT series as well.. that dropped mark was the result of him trying to be too cute and that's also why his stats are often so low, because he refuses to win the hard balls. It's different from, say, Foote, who is a hard nut and willing to work to the bone but just needs to improve his composure and ball use. Rose is just inherently soft as a player - that can't be trained out of him.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Artygunner

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Did the best i can for some reason it wont let ma crop it to include more rose or if i try to take a screen shot that only shows rose it says long side can be more than 2 times short side or something

Ah no worries man - how about u find a nice picture of rose that fits then :) don't wanna be looking at GWS players all year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back