11. Sydney - 9-13
12. West Coast - 9-13
13. Hawthorn - 8-14
14. Fremantle - 7-15
15. Brisbane - 5-17
16. North Melbourne - 3-19
17. Carlton - 3-19
18. Gold Coast - 3-19

This is what I got looking at each game of each team in isolation using an excel file that someone compiled. As the season went on, I adapted my expectations to the team's 2018 season (Sydney started off badly and then I expected them not to recover, so had them lose to teams that perhaps they would not have lost to in 2017). I did that because, well, the seasons are not static and things change. There tends to be at least one team that surprisingly falls out (Sydney in my case) while others surprisingly rise (Bulldogs despite losing Stringer and the 2017 season).

I know the amount of wins amassed by my top 3 (Richmond, Port Adelaide and Essendon) is quite a lot, but that is what I honestly got. I am not sure if they'll get those wins, so I may just stick with the finishing ladder position at the end of H&A rather than the win-loss record for this thread.

I am doing another ladder, but this time I am going game-by-game:

1. Richmond - 19-3
2. Port Adelaide - 18-4
3. Essendon - 18-4
4. Melbourne 16-6
5. Geelong - 15-7
6. GWS - 15-7
7. Adelaide - 14-8
8. Western Bulldogs - 12-10
----------------------------
9. St Kilda - 12-10
10. Collingwood - 12-10
11. Sydney - 9-13
12. West Coast - 9-13
13. Hawthorn - 8-14
14. Fremantle - 7-15
15. Brisbane - 5-17
17. Carlton - 3-19
18. Gold Coast - 3-19

This is what I got looking at each game of each team in isolation using an excel file that someone compiled. As the season went on, I adapted my expectations to the team's 2018 season (Sydney started off badly and then I expected them not to recover, so had them lose to teams that perhaps they would not have lost to in 2017). I did that because, well, the seasons are not static and things change. There tends to be at least one team that surprisingly falls out (Sydney in my case) while others surprisingly rise (Bulldogs despite losing Stringer and the 2017 season).

I know the amount of wins amassed by my top 3 (Richmond, Port Adelaide and Essendon) is quite a lot, but that is what I honestly got. I am not sure if they'll get those wins, so I may just stick with the finishing ladder position at the end of H&A rather than the win-loss record for this thread.
Who did you have tigers losing to?

What's west coast out of interest?
31-1 I like your thinking. Every chance and at excellent odds. Nat struggling to get going, Kennedy injured zero preseason 2 years running (30+). No priddis, No mitchell, No Petrie who held them up in 2017. Gaff free agent in 2018. Home games have always given them a huge advantage. How many games have they won in Melb in 3 years??? Tougher draw after beating port and moving into the top 6 section also.

I am doing another ladder, but this time I am going game-by-game:

1. Richmond - 19-3
2. Port Adelaide - 18-4
3. Essendon - 18-4
4. Melbourne 16-6
5. Geelong - 15-7
6. GWS - 15-7
7. Adelaide - 14-8
8. Western Bulldogs - 12-10
----------------------------
9. St Kilda - 12-10
10. Collingwood - 12-10
11. Sydney - 9-13
12. West Coast - 9-13
13. Hawthorn - 8-14
14. Fremantle - 7-15
15. Brisbane - 5-17
17. Carlton - 3-19
18. Gold Coast - 3-19

While I am at it, I may just do finals for fun.

Week 1:

QF1: Richmond vs Melbourne (MCG)
QF2: Port Adelaide vs Essendon (AO)
EF2: GWS vs Adelaide (SS)
EF1: Geelong vs Western Bulldogs (MCG)

Week 2:

SF1: Richmond vs Geelong (MCG)
SF2: Essendon vs Adelaide (MCG)

Week 3:

PF1: Port Adelaide vs Richmond (AO)
PF2: Melbourne vs Essendon (MCG)

Week 4:

GF: Port Adelaide vs Essendon (MCG)

In my opinion, this would be such an exciting finals series. Especially those Preliminary Finals and the Grand Final.

31-1 I like your thinking. Every chance and at excellent odds. Nat struggling to get going, Kennedy injured zero preseason 2 years running (30+). No priddis, No mitchell, No Petrie who held them up in 2017. Gaff free agent in 2018. Home games hade always given them a huge advantage. How many games have they won in Melb in 3 years??? Tougher draft after beating port and moving into the top 6 section also.
They do have a history too of being prepared to bottom right out to go forward.

Yes fair bet

While I am at it, I may just do finals for fun.

Week 1:

QF1: Richmond vs Melbourne (MCG)
QF2: Port Adelaide vs Essendon (AO)
EF2: GWS vs Adelaide (SS)
EF1: Geelong vs Western Bulldogs (MCG)

Week 2:

SF1: Richmond vs Geelong (MCG)
SF2: Essendon vs Adelaide (MCG)

Week 3:

PF1: Port Adelaide vs Richmond (AO)
PF2: Melbourne vs Essendon (MCG)

Week 4:

GF: Port Adelaide vs Essendon (MCG)

In my opinion, this would be such an exciting finals series. Especially those Preliminary Finals and the Grand Final.
If this grand final happens it will ruin the afl. Two teams who’ve topped up with moneyball payers to fill holes and have spent the bank to chase a premiership. The rest of the afl teams will follow suit and trade and draft weeks will turn into a charade and look like American sports. I’m not sure that’s what we want.

Tigers will get flogged r2 v crows

Nothing more certain
I personally don't think so. I think we are a good chance of beating Adelaide if Essendon beat them Round 1, which I am expecting to happen. I imagine that their confidence against us wouldn't be as high as in the past given the Grand Final result, and we'd perhaps be more confident given that we won the Premiership playing them.

Not saying that we won't lose, but I don't think we'll get flogged.

Tigers will get flogged r2 v crows

Nothing more certain
Agree actually. Nothing screams revenge game more than visiting the team that you just smashed in the GF after they expected to roll you by ten goals.

The Crows will be pencilling that one in as a must win. I reckon in Adelaide wel get thumped.

If this grand final happens it will ruin the afl. Two teams who’ve topped up with moneyball payers to fill holes and have spent the bank to chase a premiership. The rest of the afl teams will follow suit and trade and draft weeks will turn into a charade and look like American sports. I’m not sure that’s what we want.
Probably not both of them, but it wouldnt suprise me at all to see one of them in the Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide being in that position would probably be on the back of recruiting Tom Rockliff alone (maybe Jack Watts too), not the other guys. They were already a decent side in 2017, so Tom Rockliff could have a big impact on their side IMO.

Essendon recruited Adam Saad (has the run and carry to complement their style), Stringer (who has shown he can be an offensive weapon) and Smith (who is actually a pretty decent player if you ask me). If they end up there it is probably because they recruited fairly well and have youth that can lift that side into contention. Their forward line could potentially end up as the best forward line in 2018 too.

Not such a bad thing to have these two teams in a Grand Final if you ask me.

Gibbs gone is huge, Docherty out for the year is huge. The rest of your posting here is a bunch of fluff, not sure why you are even mentioning a 28yo ruckman. Your posts smell of “I don’t like/rate Carlton so I’ll look for some negative s**t to support that”. You could apply this type of negativity to any club (e.g. a club whose BnF winner is extremely injury prone and turning 30 this year).

Some random opposition poster predicting Carlton make 13th, in amongst a majority placing them bottom 3, shouldn’t really bother you that much. 13th is not very good.

It doesn't bother me. I disagree with it and use it as the basis for football discussion on a football discussion website.

I've pointed out 2 gun players that are missing, and a third that might struggle to replicate the year he just had. And thus improvement isn't gaurunteed like some people assume.

Why don't u give us some reasons you will climb out of the bottom 4?

Port Adelaide being in that position would probably be on the back of recruiting Tom Rockliff alone (maybe Jack Watts too), not the other guys. They were already a decent side in 2017, so Tom Rockliff could have a big impact on their side IMO.

Essendon recruited Adam Saad (has the run and carry to complement their style), Stringer (who has shown he can be an offensive weapon) and Smith (who is actually a pretty decent player if you ask me). If they end up there it is probably because they recruited fairly well and have youth that can lift that side into contention. Their forward line could potentially end up as the best forward line in 2018 too.

Not such a bad thing to have these two teams in a Grand Final if you ask me.
I’m not denying they drafted well. I’m saying it could be the downfall of the AFL if all teams start topping up for premierships. And no Port Adelaide weren’t a good team in 2017. They didn’t beat anyone in the top 8 all year. Even Carlton beat 3.

Of course if this eventuates its a somewhat hollow victory
Well, we start again in 2018 H&A wins are vital to have finish top 4 and have a chance to win. Beating the Premiers will give them a boost.

It wont mean as much as the GF obviously and we will always have that over them, but mentally the Crows organisation NEED this one. They believe they were a lock for 2017 against us and the only reason they lost is the game was at the 'G. They need this win mentally to justify that belief. If they dont win, it will completely shake the mindset of the group and they might just question are they good enough?

It doesn't bother me. I disagree with it and use it as the basis for football discussion on a football discussion website.

I've pointed out 2 gun players that are missing, and a third that might struggle to replicate the year he just had. And thus improvement isn't gaurunteed like some people assume.

Why don't u give us some reasons you will climb out of the bottom 4?
1. Patrick Cripps (1st full preseason too)
2. Weitering and curnow showed glimpses in 2nd year. Traditionally players who show this have improved 3rd years.
3. A full season of Liam jones at CHB.
4. A preseason into SPS, Fisher and Williamson (2nd year players)
5. A fit Ciaran Byrne
6. Inclusion of Kennedy (best 22 in GWSs midfield)
7. Inclusion of Lang (see Geelong v sydney final in 2017 for evidence)
8. The return of Ed Curnow (evidence - my opinion + we have struggled without his leadership and fitness base late in the last 2 seasons + statistically compares to other elite midfielders + fittest bloke on the list + can stop oppositions best players).

Agree actually. Nothing screams revenge game more than visiting the team that you just smashed in the GF after they expected to roll you by ten goals.

The Crows will be pencilling that one in as a must win. I reckon in Adelaide wel get thumped.
I don't know why they ended up sending us to Adelaide while the emotions are still high as the Premiership winners.

Anyway, the only time since 2006 (furthest that I looked the stat up) that the Premier was thumped by the runner-up in the first Grand Final rematch was Hawthorn beating Sydney in 2013 by 37 points, which is not much of a thumping margin-wise. Most of the games were close.

I just don't see the Richmond players rocking up to AO not prepared for what Adelaide bring. Yes, Adelaide will probably go hard, but I expect Richmond to do the same.

I’m not denying they drafted well. I’m saying it could be the downfall of the AFL if all teams start topping up for premierships. And no Port Adelaide weren’t a good team in 2017. They didn’t beat anyone in the top 8 all year. Even Carlton beat 3.
Well, maybe they weren't a great team, but they had the foundation to be one.

Look, not every team is in that position to do what Richmond did. If most teams do it, then those that do not and successfully focus on drafting well will become the dominant teams. Then, teams will start running to drafting again.

We finished 5th at the end of the home and way season and we beat Sydney and west coast... clearly not a great team but to say that we weren’t a good team is just stupid

Well, maybe they weren't a great team, but they had the foundation to be one.

Look, not every team is in that position to do what Richmond did. If most teams do it, then those that do not and successfully focus on drafting well will become the dominant teams. Then, teams will start running to drafting again.
A vicious cycle. interesting to see what 2018 brings. For me I predict port and ess won’t do a whole lot but make up the finals numbers in make it at all. There are so many talented sides that could rise past them even with the drafting. Richmond and dogs are the examples having their best sides on the park when it counts. Injuries have accounted for many teams in the past. Sydney’s 0-6 start is one example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back