2018 Ladder Predictions

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Striker475, Sep 30, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. DrMike

DrMike Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    12th for Richmond

Tiger71 and yellowandblack21 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. maskmcgee

maskmcgee Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    1. GWS
    2. Adelaide
    3. Sydney
    4. Richmond
    5. Melbourne
    6. Essendon
    7. Port Adelaide
    8. Geelong

9. St. Kilda
    10. West Coast
    11. Western Bulldogs
    12. Hawthorn
    13. Brisbane
    14. Fremantle
    15. Carlton
    16. North Melbourne
    17. Gold Coast
    18. Collingwood

3. Bazza97

Bazza97 Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Freo did very well to win 6 out of 7 games from round 3-9 especially winning a few games by under a goal. Ross definitely exposed a lot of youth to the side as well so it was funny when there were still some claiming that he didn't expose much youth to the side on the MB.

Understandable that you would be disappointed if Freo finish in the bottom 4 in unconvincing fashion. In 2018, I can still see them having a similar year to what they had this year in avoiding the bottom 4 and getting around 8 wins. I can't see them doing much better than that but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Haven't done a ladder yet and a bit early to make a call but if I had to give Freo a wins range for 2018 I'd say 6-9 wins.

4. Go the Guts

Go the Guts Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Mighty Double Blues
    Decent ice dealer?

5. HairyO

HairyO Day Off

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Opium would have been the more likely drug of choice. For headaches and other ailments.

Go the Guts likes this.
  6. Engimal v3

Engimal v3 Debutant

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    1. North Melbourne

Throw a blanket over the rest.

7. living_in_syd

living_in_syd Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    A little bit of luck always needs to go your way to win a flag. Definitely lucky we had just enough percentage to get above GWS otherwise we would have went to Adelaide in week 1.

8. Skipper_

Skipper_ Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    1. Sydney
    2. Port Adelaide
    3. Richmond
    4. Melbourne
    5. Adelaide
    6. Essendon
    7. GWS
    8. Geelong
    9. Collingwood
    10. Western Bulldogs
    11. St Kilda
    12. Carlton
    13. Hawthorn
    14. West Coast
    15. Brisbane
    16. North Melbourne
    17. Fremantle
    18. Gold Coast

9. Hawks1976

Hawks1976 Debutant

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    We worry bout flags and we have more even though we started after you. Call me when you have caught up.

10. Tigers_fan24

Tigers_fan24 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    No worries, right after you call me when you're relevant again

11. Hawks1976

Hawks1976 Debutant

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Win one flag in 37 years My son 4 years old and his seen three he thinks hawks are relevant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Scanlens Man

Scanlens Man Debutant

GWS
    Other teams:
    LOL

13. Scanlens Man

Scanlens Man Debutant

GWS
    Other teams:
    Is the exercise "ladder prediction for 2018" or "List the teams in the order that you like them"?

14. Freomaniac

Freomaniac Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
    what was so concerning about freo winning 4 games by under a goal? I anything It was a good thing, Especially for a young team. said on the freo board beating the dogs in round 3 who were fresh off a flag was a massive psychological win. Massive turn around in form considering 6 days before we lost by port by 89 points

Freo need a KPF or Key forward/ Ruck in this draft.

Crows... I can see 2013 written all over it. In 2013,Tippet left the club, Tex Did his knee. They lost 2 key forwards that year. Next year, Lever is gone, Talia does an injury, 2 key defenders gone

15. hutchy31

hutchy31 Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    If anyone guessed this year's ladder they were doing bloody well. My 2c worth is:

1. Adelaide
    2. GWS
    3. Sydney
    4. Melbourne
    5. Richmond
    6. Bulldogs
    7. Geelong
    8. Essendon
    9. St Kilda
    10. Collingwood
    11. West Coast
    12. Port
    13. Fremantle
    14. Carlton
    15. Hawthorn
    16. North
    17. Brisbane
    18. Gold Coast

But I'd throw one blanket over the top 5, another over 6-12, and another over the rest.

With a decent injury run and presuming Lever gets there I'm all in on the dees.

Optimistic about the dogs but probably need a good draft and trade period and definitely a decent preseason.

16. JT_the_Man

JT_the_Man Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    LCFC, LAL, Stars, 49ers, Canadiens
    After today I'm optimistic that we'll be playing finals footy again next year.

Bazza97 likes this.
  17. Heaps of fun

Heaps of fun Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    1. Hawthorn
    2. Melbourne
    3. Richmond
    4. Essendon
    5. Carlton
    6. North Melbourne
    7. Collingwood
    8. Western Bulldogs
    9. St Kilda
    10. Geelong
    11. Sydney
    12. Gold Coast
    13. Fremantle
    14. Adelaide
    15. West Coast
    16. GWS
    17. Brisbane
    18. Port Adelaide

StevenwellerHFC and Brain Power like this.
  18. TiggerMan22

TiggerMan22 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    We did close out close games, we just didnt wait to the last second to do it. Which means when you just look at the results you dont see it.
    E.g Round 3 - 4 points up with 10 mins left, kick the next 2. Round 5 - Scores are level with 22 mins gone we kick the next 2. Round 9 - 9 points up with 23 gone, kick the next goal.

Then add in 3 out of our 4 close loses we were 5 goals up in stages of those games. We have seemingly fixed that issue of letting teams back in the game.
    As shows at the end of the season after we get past that 5 goal mark.
    Suns, got out to 33, closest they got was 26.
    Hawks, got out to 46, closest they got was 26.
    Saints, got out to 50, closest they got was 25.
    Cats, got out to 46, closest they got was 39.
    GWS, got out to 37, closest they got was 23.
    Crows, got out to 40, closest they got was 31.

19. Bazza97

Bazza97 Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Yeah I'd say the same. Stringer, Saad and Smith would be quality additions and just by adding more pure established talent to your list, it's enough for me to say you'll be playing in the finals again. I think you still need to add to your inside midfield stocks though and I reckon it's still a work in progress. Good chance to finish in the top 6 next year but the query I have on your midfield is what stops me from putting you in the top 4.

JT_the_Man likes this.
  20. Lsta062

Lsta062 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Some years feature at least one finals team that is a bit of a shock (Port Adelaide 2013, Bulldogs 2015, Richmond 2017). If there was one in 2018, what do people think about Brisbane?

Now, I know that this is very left field, but I honestly think that they are building a really strong forward line with a decent midfield. If they add Connor Ballenden from their academy (allegedly a talented tall forward), their pick 1 (if as good as Andrew McGrath), Charlie Cameron and Luke Hodge (a good mentor for them) to their team as well as keep a lot of their players fit, I think they could give the 8 a good go even as soon as next year. Their morale playing alongside Luke Hodge, who was a Premiership captain, would be a huge confidence booster IMO. The defence would let them down a little though from a personnel perspective, but again, having Hodge there coaching their defenders on field where to run like he did at Hawthorn this season would be big.

21. Bazza97

Bazza97 Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I won't touch base on everything but think Brisbane's finals window will open between 2019-20. They look to be building nicely on all areas of the ground. Cameron and Hodge would be quality recruits for Brisbane's rebuild.

I think their midfield is a little light on and for the short-term it's a blow that Rockliff has left. Beams and Zorko are high quality mids but after that there is a bit of a gap. Means the likes of Mathieson and Berry will need to step up and will be given increased responsibility which really is a good thing for their development although it's understandable if they struggle playing consistently throughout the season. In saying that, the likes of Robinson and Bastinac provide mature bodies and can play through there, perhaps Rich plays more in the midfield as well to help out the younger mids and the likes of Zorko and Beams.

Their defence is still a work in progress but has improved and I think they've built the foundations of their backline. Hodge is going to help out immensely with his coaching on the field and experience.

Their forward line should be quality as well. Think they had one of the most efficient forward lines in the comp in the 2nd half of this year in terms of generating scores per I50.

I don't think they will play finals in 2018 but if they have the sort of season where you could say pretty confidently that they are one of the leading contenders to make finals the following year, they will have done very well. An early call but think Brisbane's wins range in 2018 for me is 6-10 wins. I personally think they are a good chance to avoid bottom 4 but top 8 I reckon is a bit beyond them for next season.

Requiem and Lsta062 like this.
  22. Madtiger2006

Madtiger2006 Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond
    Richmond will go out in straight sets. Bookmark it
    Is His your uvver sun?

carnthedons likes this.
  23. ThaiTiger

ThaiTiger Senior List

Richmond
    Other teams:
    If you study and analysis all recent data and graph the recent trends there is only one conclusion. Richmond. Best to start with the Grand Final and work back. WARNING: It may offend some viewers.

Striker475 likes this.
  24. Go the Guts

Go the Guts Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Mighty Double Blues
    And after today i'll be optimistic if Adelaide make the top 8.

JT_the_Man likes this.
  25. Tigers_fan24

Tigers_fan24 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Won't be the first time in his life that he's wrong. Hawks have won two more flags than Richmond. Whoopdi Doo