Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Going back through the ladder predictor thread to see if anyone got it right and I found this one to be interesting! So far havent found any that got it right but who could have predicted Port's unceremonious slide out of the 8. Found a few mid season calls that got 7/8 right but they all had Port in the eight. I have only read about 10 pages around mid season so there may still be a Nostradamus in amongst you there somewhere. Not bothering to read pre-season posts but if someone managed to pick the 8 pre-season then you are a freak.
I really thought Freo were traveling well at the time, but i totally over estimated "Ross the boss" who couldn't coach his way out of a revolving door IMO. I left GWS out due to all the injuries and my mob because we were so all over the place early in the season.

1. Sydney - I put them here despite having the feeling that they'll tumble. The team I probably get wrong the most!

2. Richmond - Think we can squeeze one more season out of this gameplan.

3. Adelaide - A lesser H&A season than last year, but still top 4.

4. Essendon - The surprise packet of 2017. Their midfield has question marks but still a decent side in other areas

5. Melbourne - Best side out of the 2017 top 8 for me.

6. Port Adelaide - Expect their range to be 1-7. Put them here though. The addition of Rockliff is a good move.

7. Geelong - Again, I can see them making the top 4, but this competition seems quite dynamic. Gary Ablett is a big inclusion, but will he play a lot of games?

8. St Kilda - I think one of St Kilda or Collingwood will make it, and I put St Kilda because of their list age means that they could improve by a lot in one season.
--------------------------------------------
9. Collingwood - Again, can see them make it. They have a good midfield, and one of Stephenson or Murphy can improve them in one season.

10. GWS - my shock slider for the year. I think one of Sydney or GWS will slide, and GWS might have to do a bit of intraspection in 2018.

11. Hawthorn - their kids pretty decent. Could be higher if JOM has a more impactful season, but don't know about that yet.

12. Fremantle - I really didn't mind what they did in the off-season. They could be a surprise bolter to the 8 if Nat Fyfe returns to his peak. They might still be a little raw though.

13. West Coast - they might suffer the biggest fall from a SF to here. Lost a couple of players and still don't know if Naitanui will immediately get to his best from a season off.

14. Western Bulldogs - Have them slip one more time while they get their backline sorted and perhaps launch in 2019. I could be wrong about 14 since they were big players in the off-season though. Got Schache and Trengove in the off-season

15. Brisbane - I have them as strong improvers, although not much on the ladder. Their forward line might become one of the best in the competition in a couple of years time. A lot of talent, but much of it is still raw.

16. Carlton - Similar position as 2017 while their talent is still raw. Lost Gibbs too and Docherty probably for much of the season, so filling those voids might take time.

17. North Melbourne - Early days of rebuilding, so may spend one more year in the bottom 4.

18. Gold Coast. Youngest list in the competition, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them last. A lot of young talent though. Perhaps could jump higher with their new coach? His impact is unknown to me right now though, so I'll probably leaving them here for now.
I am quoting this ladder because it is probably the closest out of all my attempts. It is still a mess though!

even the crows can miss the 8 in 2018. i can totally see it. clubs with a winning mentality like the hawks, pies and eagles can easily make the top 4. this is 17/18 not 13/14 where the league is highly unpredictable. it is only opinion on an internet forum. no one should get sensitive.
Wowee, Hawthorn, Collingwood AND West Coast with Adelaide missing? You are correct, the ladder can easily be flipped on its head from year to year nowadays.

1. Sydney
2. Greater Western Sydney (P)
3. Melbourne
4. Adelaide
5. Richmond
6. Geelong
7. Collingwood
8. Essendon
9. Port Adelaide
10. West Coast
11. St Kilda
12. Carlton
13. Fremantle
14. Brisbane Lions
15. Hawthorn
16. Western Bulldogs
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

Finals Week 1
Adelaide d. Sydney
GWS d. Melbourne
Richmond d. Essendon
Collingwood d. Geelong

Finals Week 2
Richmond d. Melbourne
Sydney d. Collingwood

Finals Week 3
GWS d. Sydney
Adelaide d. Richmond

Grand Final
GWS d. Adelaide

If only you picked your own club you would have had 7/8 pre-season. You would have been forgiven for omitting the Eagles for the Crows.

Last edited:
1. Richmond
2. West Coast
3. Collingwood
4. Hawthorn
5. Melbourne
6. Sydney
7. GWS
8. Geelong
9. North Melbourne
10. Port Adelaide
11. Essendon
12. Adelaide
13. Western Bulldogs
14. Fremantle
15. Brisbane
16. St Kilda
17. Gold Coast
18. Carlton
What do we have here

1. Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. GWS
4. Port
5. Geelong
6. Essendon
7. Collingwood
8. Melbourne
9. Western Bulldogs
10. St Kilda
11. Hawthorn
12. West Coast
13. Brisbane
14. Richmond
15. Fremantle
16. North
17. Carlton
18. Gold Coast
You got 5 of the top 8 right but the 3 you got wrong ended up in the top 4.

1. Sydney - They won't have the lousy start they had last year. Mills and Heeney ready to go the next level. Not sure if Grundy is retiring or what's happening with Aliir Aliir but assuming their key defensive posts are OK they should be fine.
2. Geelong - Danger/Ablett/Selwood oh and I guess Duncan. Top end quality will take them deep.
3. Port Adelaide - Some great trade period pick ups will see Port a real contender in 2018.
4. Essendon - 3 new best 22 players all in their prime. Tipping Parish to be a big improver. Midfield may hold us back but looking at our list we really have a lot of players that can rotate through the midfield and forward line. Forward line looks phenomenal.
5. GWS - Lost a few handy types but a better run with injuries will see them be pretty good nonetheless. Not sure about their ruck situation.
6. Melbourne - The finals campaign they should have had last year. They won't screw it up this time. Was tempted to put them top 4. They will be near unstoppable at times - but can they sustain it?
7. Richmond - Will struggle early in the season. It's not always easy backing up after a premiership and Richmond haven't gone that deep into finals any time recently. Not hard to see them struggling. Not expecting Martin to match his 2017 season. I also think their forward line is still a mess and teams will have plenty of time to think about how to counter the manic pressure with lots of small forwards.
8. Adelaide - Probably a little worse on paper than 2017 - made the GF and again I reckon could struggle a little earlier in the season. Brodie Smith is a loss too.
----------------------
9. Western Bulldogs - Won't be far off finals but I think they may just fall short. Stringer is a loss and Schache is still unproven. In fact they don't really have any proven goal scorers. Will need Bontempelli to have a much better year than 2017 where he was not anywhere close to the level he was touted to be at.
10. Fremantle - They've made a few improvements. Wilson will help them, Matera may be useful. Lost Weller though. Will have 2 very early draft picks that will likely see some good game time in 2018. Most importantly though Fyfe will have another preseason and a good chance to get close to his best. Bennell could help them improve as well.
11. West Coast - Too many questions over their midfield and small forwards and we still don't know how Naitanui will go. Defense is great. I could see them making finals if all goes well.
12. Collingwood - I think they'll be in the hunt for finals but there's not much to point to huge improvement. The one player I reckon could make a huge difference is a fully fit Jamie Elliot - who I reckon could reach the heights of Betts best years but I'm not confident that it will be in 2018.
13. Hawthorn - Will be even worse than last year. Their youth is very thin and other teams will have another draft to go and improve while they basically sit on the sidelines. Hodge will leave a significant void and I'm just not sure Impey is the man to fill it (cue laughter). Remaining premiership players will keep declining. Jaegar - will he or won't he make it on the field this year?
14. Brisbane Lions - This is the year they'll start to look like a better team. I still don't have them jumping up the ladder just yet but I'm thinking 8 wins is not unreasonable. The days of Brisbane being easy beats are over. Rockcliff will be a loss but I love some of the kids they got from 2016 draft - especially Witherden.
15. St. Kilda - I was a big fan of St.Kilda's list for the last couple of years and kept expecting big things and occasionally they'd show some tantalising glimpses. I've finally realised - they simply aren't that good. Still relying on Riewoldt to win games of footy.
16. Carlton - I don't rate their list build in the long run (picking up too many average/list clogging types) but they would have improved on the ladder had they not lost Gibbs. Without Gibbs it will be another bottom 5 year for Carlton. Cripps is going to need to wear shoulder pads. Did get some nice draft picks though.
17. North Melbourne - Full rebuild mode. Need to stock talent in all areas of the field.
18. Gold Coast - Basket case on and off the field. Will be playing the kids.

Very thin youth vs 3 new best 22 in their prime.

Must all be down to coaching. Hopefully he is out of contract this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney have suffered some extreme coaching losses so far with Dew and Playfair off the books. Will be interesting to see how the Swans perform and I think there is a chance of a struggle
Extreme?

As long as we dont add Buckley we will be ok

Well well well how the turntables

Crystal ball: AFL.com.au's 2018 predictions

Staff writers Mar 17th

Nick Bowen

1. Greater Western Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Melbourne
5. Port Adelaide
6. Geelong
7. Sydney
8. Western Bulldogs

9. Essendon
10. St Kilda
11. West Coast
12. Hawthorn
13. Gold Coast
14. Collingwood
15. Fremantle
16. Brisbane
17. North Melbourne
18. Carlton

Ashley Browne
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. Port Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. Hawthorn

9. Sydney
10. Western Bulldogs
11. St Kilda
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood

14. Brisbane
15. Fremantle
16. Carlton
17. Gold Coast
18. North Melbourne

Mitch Cleary
1. Adelaide
2. Richmond
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Greater Western Sydney
6. Port Adelaide
7. Melbourne
8. Essendon

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Hawthorn
11. St Kilda
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood

14. Brisbane
15. Fremantle
16. Carlton
17. Gold Coast
18. North Melbourne

Ben Collins
2. Adelaide
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Essendon
7. Melbourne
8. Collingwood

9. Port Adelaide
10. Western Bulldogs
11. St Kilda
12. Hawthorn
13. West Coast
14. Fremantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. Gold Coast
18. Brisbane

Adam Curley
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Sydney
5. Melbourne
6. Essendon
7. Port Adelaide
8. Western Bulldogs

9. Geelong
10. Hawthorn
11. Gold Coast
12. West Coast
13. St Kilda
14. Fremantle
15. Carlton
16. Collingwood
17. Brisbane
18. North Melbourne

Ryan Davidson
1. Adelaide
2. Greater Western Sydney
3. Richmond
4. Geelong
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. Port Adelaide

9. Sydney
10. West Coast
11. Hawthorn
12. St Kilda
13. Fremantle
14. Collingwood
15. Gold Coast
16. Carlton
17. Brisbane
18. North Melbourne

Nat Edwards
2. Richmond
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Adelaide
6. Port Adelaide
7. Melbourne
8. Essendon

9. Hawthorn
10. Western Bulldogs
11. St Kilda
12. Collingwood
13. West Coast

14. Fremantle
15. Gold Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Carlton
18. North Melbourne

Lee Gaskin
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. Port Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. Sydney

9. St Kilda
10. Hawthorn
11. West Coast
12. Western Bulldogs
13. Fremantle
14. Collingwood
15. Brisbane Lions
16. North Melbourne
17. Gold Coast
18. Carlton

Ben Guthrie
1. Adelaide
2. Geelong
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Greater Western Sydney
5. Melbourne
6. Richmond
7. Sydney
8. Port Adelaide

9. Essendon
10. St Kilda
11. Hawthorn
12. Fremantle
13. Carlton
14. West Coast
15. Brisbane
16. Collingwood
17. Gold Coast
18. North Melbourne

Travis King
2. Sydney
3. Richmond
4. Melbourne
5. Geelong
6. Port Adelaide
7. Adelaide
8. Essendon

9. Western Bulldogs
10. West Coast
11. Fremantle
12. St Kilda
13. Hawthorn
14. Collingwood
15. Brisbane
16. Gold Coast
17. Carlton
18. North Melbourne

Marc McGowan
2. Adelaide
3. Port Adelaide
4. Essendon
5. Melbourne
6. Richmond
7. Geelong
8. Sydney

9. St Kilda
10. Hawthorn
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Fremantle
13. Collingwood
14. Brisbane
15. West Coast
16. North Melbourne
17. Carlton
18. Gold Coast

Dinny Navaratnam
1. Sydney
2. Greater Western Sydney
3. Geelong
4. Adelaide
5. Richmond
6. Melbourne
7. Port Adelaide
8. Essendon

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Hawthorn
11. St Kilda
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood

14. Fremantle
15. Carlton
16. North Melbourne
17. Brisbane
18. Gold Coast

Jennifer Phelan
1. Geelong
2. Adelaide
3. GWS
4. Port Adelaide
5. Richmond
6. Essendon
7. Melbourne
8. Sydney

9. Western Bulldogs
10. St Kilda
11. Hawthorn
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood

14. Brisbane Lions
15. Fremantle
16. North Melbourne
17. Carlton
18. Gold Coast

Nathan Schmook
2. Richmond
3. Geelong
4. Melbourne
5. Adelaide
6. Sydney
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Port Adelaide

9. Essendon
10. St Kilda
11. Hawthorn
12. Collingwood
13. West Coast

14. Gold Coast
15. Brisbane
16. Fremantle
17. Carlton
18. North Melbourne

Matt Thompson
2. Richmond
3. Geelong
4. Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. St Kilda

9. Collingwood
10. Port Adelaide
11. West Coast
12. Gold Coast
13. Hawthorn
14. Western Bulldogs
15. Brisbane
16. North Melbourne
17. Fremantle
18. Carlton

Callum Twomey
1. Adelaide
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. Greater Western Sydney
5. Port Adelaide
6. Essendon
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Melbourne

9. Sydney
10. Hawthorn
11. West Coast
12. St Kilda
13. Fremantle
14. Collingwood
15. Brisbane
16. Gold Coast
17. Carlton
18. North Melbourne

Michael Whiting
1. Adelaide
2. Sydney
3. Geelong
4. Port Adelaide
5. Richmond
6. Melbourne
7. Greater Western Sydney
8. Essendon

9. St Kilda
10. West Coast
11. Hawthorn
12. Western Bulldogs
13. Fremantle
14. Brisbane
15. Gold Coast
16. Collingwood
17. Carlton
18. North Melbourne

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-17/crystal-ball-aflcomaus-2018-predictions

^ Hilarious. 0 out of 17 experts have the Eagles in the 8. 1 out of 17 has Collingwood in the 8, finishing 8th and not doing any damage in the finals.

And good old Robert Walls picked us for the spoon.

This year has been satisfying in proving him and those 17 experts wrong.

Kennedy, Gaff, Shuey, Naitanui, Yeo, McGovern and Shephard are all elite players, as well as some exciting young talent coming through in Ryan, Waterman, Rioli and Venebles. We’ve got as good a chance to finish in the 8 as any other team, not going to go deep in finals but we’ve got the capability to be there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like I short changed us

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I got the top 6 dead on but a moderator deleted my post for profanity

Damn
I got the full 18 correct and had West Coast and Collingwood meeting in the GF but I forgot to press "Post Reply"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back