Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see GWS coming out in 2018 with a lot to prove

good luck giants!

If the Giants spend the preseason focusing on their defensive game and make tackling and pressure a priority, they would near unstoppable. They have the offensive game and their players don't need to be taught how to attack but when the opposition has the ball later in games to many of them go wanting. If I was Leon Cameron, I would change their game plan into one based on accountability and workrate because they have all the skill in the world but just lack the discipline to fight when the game gets tough.

If the Giants spend the preseason focusing on their defensive game and make tackling and pressure a priority, they would near unstoppable. They have the offensive game and their players don't need to be taught how to attack but when the opposition has the ball later in games to many of them go wanting. If I was Leon Cameron, I would change their game plan into one based on accountability and workrate because they have all the skill in the world but just lack the discipline to fight when the game gets tough.

Yep

Richmond were a talented side but proved last year it is running, tackling and pressure that sorts the men from the boys.

Yep

Richmond were a talented side but proved last year it is running, tackling and pressure that sorts the men from the boys.

I can't think of another side that has the attacking flair and X-Factor that GWS has at their disposal but they can never maintain the rage when it counts. They a filled with stars whoa re used to winning the game off their own boot or being recognised as the best player for their team. None of them are willing to sacrifice their own game for the rest of the team.

One of the biggest reasons Richmond won this year is because our players played for each other. Jack, Mr 'Kick it to me', did a complete turn around and contested every ball to create goals for his team of small forwards around him. He didn't kick anywhere the goals he could have individually but he made us extremely unpredictable and a higher scoring team through his unselfish leadership and actions. The same could be said for our backline and midfield. Causing turnovers was the most important indicator and creating goals more important than kicking them. If GWS adopted the same mentality, they have the attacking game to destroy any other team on the rebound.

Of course I hope they don't get their acts together for a few years yet so teams like yours and mine have a chance of claiming a flag or two in that time :p

I can't think of another side that has the attacking flair and X-Factor that GWS has at their disposal but they can never maintain the rage when it counts. They a filled with stars whoa re used to winning the game off their own boot or being recognised as the best player for their team. None of them are willing to sacrifice their own game for the rest of the team.

:p

In the lead up to the Prelim on League Teams, Brad Johnson said the game was a classic champion team v a team of champions, Dermie quick as a flash said "Team of Junior champions, they've yet to prove themselves" Couldn't agree more

LOL I like this guy.
1. Someone posts a positive Port comment.
2. Gets a notification.
3. Drops everything and waddles to the computer
4. Says to himself “I’ll show em!”
5. Starts another sad Port/Crows shitfight.

Because Port posters don’t do that......

Show me a positive quote about the Crows by a Port poster.

Didn't lose to Essendon. We got flogged by the Saints around the middle of the year. A completely off day, probably our worst in years.
It is extremely hard to be at your best all year. The Tigers only had 2 bad games for the year.
They were in everything else.

Which is exactly the point I was making

Do you even remember the first Showdown? In the first quarter we would have blown you off the park if we had kicked straight. Guess what would have happened then? If all other results had been the same, even the second Showdown result, we would have finished second and you would have finished fifth.

Geelong 15 wins, 1 draw, 6 losses - 62 points (117.38%)
Port Adelaide 15 wins, 7 losses - 60 points (129.74%)
Richmond 15 wins, 7 losses - 60 points (118.29%)
GWS 14 wins, 2 draws, 6 losses - 60 points (114.85%)
Adelaide 14 wins, 1 draw, 7 losses - 58 points (135.98%)

That was a game that could have been EASILY overturned since a) it was only a 17 point loss and we got it to within a goal in the last term b) we butchered chances in the first quarter b) when we were mounting a comeback in the last that little grub Cameron ironed out Houston after disposing of the ball, which not only wasn't a downfield free apparently but the resulting remonstrating by Trengove enabled your side to quickly take advantage of the situation and score c) Pyke even said that it was only when Walker kicked that long goal out of his butt in the last quarter that he felt safe.

I think you'll easily make finals for the precise reason why you'll never win a flag - your game is built for Adelaide Oval and not the MCG.

You had your shot and you failed. Don't cry about it.

If buts and candy nuts. Do you apply this ‘if we had’ logic to your opposition or just Port because it works both ways.

Because Port posters don’t do that......

Show me a positive quote about the Crows by a Port poster.

you're right the power crows thing is embarrassing

for the record, I was supporting the crows on GF day

Biggest problem with Melbourne was above the shoulders in 2017, if they sort that out they'll be pushing for a top 4 finish.

Don't know how so many failures is going to impact Sydney adn Geelong, could see them finishing anywhere from top 4 to doing a Freo and droppign right off the pace.
A Richmond supporter talking about the "many failures" of Geelong and Sydney... I honestly don't know how to respond to that.

A Richmond supporter talking about the "many failures" of Geelong and Sydney... I honestly don't know how to respond to that.
Geelong 3 wins from the past 11 finals and the swans being so close every year has to take its toll. Failures is probably a strong word, Richmond would have loved a finals win but our first round finals losses over those years made us who we are today. We were lucky we made the right choices and the players stuck together, Freo fell right off, but Geelong and Sydney have stayed there abouts, but not makign the changes needed to go all the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. GWS - Best list in the comp.
2. Richmond - Best team in the comp. Can't see them slowing down or dropping off much if at all.
3. Sydney - Last roll of the dice. The talent is there but this may be their last opportunity.
4. Essendon - 2nd year with their full side back plus some great new recruits.
5. Melbourne - Had the talent last year to make the 8 but were hampered with injuries. Some players seriously need an attitude re-adjustment though.
6. Port Adelaide - Like Collingwood they have a great list but are inconsistent. Have recruited well.
7. Adelaide - The GF loss killed them. Already coming apart at the seams.
8. Geelong - May even be lucky to make the 8. 2 decades of experience just retired from their backline. Bartell and Enright left only the year before. That's the biggest loss of experience in 2 years perhaps ever. Ablett just can't stay fit these days. Even if Ablett played every game they still wouldn't make top 4.
12. Carlton - So many high draft picks. A lot of talent came through and started stepping up last year. They'll keep improving gradually.
13. Western Bulldogs - Some good talent but far from a top side. So many teams above them and about to surpass them.
14. Fremantle - Starting to rebuild nicely. Some of the older guys can still go. Won't make the 8 for a long time though.
15. West Coast - Won't make the 8 for a long time. Too many old guys still there. Only 2 or 3 elite players. Way too many passengers. Very little for fans to be optimistic about.
16. Brisbane - So much young talent. Still a few years off but will have a couple of big wins this year over good sides to let everyone know they're coming. They'll jump ahead of West Coast by the end of the year.
17. Gold Coast - Have some good players but are devoid of a winning culture. They have no fans and nobody else cares about them. Gaz just abandoned them. A completely failed project. Merge or fold.
18. North Melbourne - Could see the writing on the wall and embraced the rebuild sooner rather than later. Wooden spooners for 5 straight years. Massive lol at all the flogs that had them finishing above Collingwood in 2017 (the majority of the board)

What I find most curious is those who have Geelong finishing on top, Bulldogs finishing in the 8, West Coast and Freo finishing just outside the 8 and have Collingwood finishing bottom 4. I'd love to find out the reasoning behind these.

How does injury machine Ablett make a Geelong side that just lost 2 decades of experience in their backline the top side in the comp?

Who or what were the Dogs missing last year to have such a dramatic slide? How do they bounce back in 2018 and make the 8?

How does anyone have West Coast and Freo finishing above St Kilda, Hawthorn Collingwood and Carlton?

And finally, I know Collingwood have massively underperformed for the last few years considering the talent in the side, but how can anyone have them as practically the equal of Brisbane, North and Gold Coast? Our problem is is that we're by far the most inconsistent side in the comp; Getting belted by Carlton and Essendon one minute to steam-rolling Adelaide in one half of footy and being competitive against every other top side. We beat Sydney, Geelong and Melbourne, drew with Adelaide and lost to GWS by less than a goal on their turf. Win the games we should and we're easily a top 8 side. With some gaping holes plugged in the side and a Treloar not hampered by a groin injury for most of the season I think we'll bounce back big time.

Last edited:
1. GWS
2. Richmond
3. Sydney
4. Essendon
5. Melbourne
6. Port Adelaide
7. Adelaide
8. Geelong
12. Carlton
13. Western Bulldogs
14. Fremantle
15. West Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Gold Coast
18. North Melbourne

What I find most curious is those who have Geelong finishing on top, Bulldogs finishing in the 8, West Coast and Freo finishing just outside the 8 and have Collingwood finishing bottom 4. I'd love to find out the reasoning behind these.

How does injury machine Ablett make a Geelong side that just lost 2 decades of experience in their backline the top side in the comp?

Who or what were the Dogs missing last year to have such a dramatic slide? How do they bounce back in 2018 and make the 8?

How does anyone have West Coast and Freo finishing above St Kilda, Hawthorn Collingwood and Carlton?

And finally, I know Collingwood have massively underperformed for the last few years considering the talent in the side, but how can anyone have them as practically the equal of Brisbane, North and Gold Coast? Our problem is is that we're by far the most inconsistent side in the comp; Getting belted by Carlton and Essendon one minute to steam-rolling Adelaide in one half of footy and being competitive against every other top side. We beat Sydney, Geelong and Melbourne, drew with Adelaide and lost to GWS by less than a goal on their turf. Win the games we should and we're easily a top 8 side. With some gaping holes plugged in the side and a Treloar not hampered by a groin injury for most of the season I think we'll bounce back big time.

You'll be 12th - 15th

First attempt of the 2018 ladder and I'll most likely change it again before the season starts. Just a heads up, I have included the amount of wins I believe each team will attain as well as a range of the minimum and maximum amount of wins I think a team may get for the season which I'll put in brackets.

Here are some comments on my ladder overall. For me, the top 6 teams will be premiership contenders in 2018. Geelong and GWS will be the two standout teams I reckon. Sydney and Richmond would be on the rung below them but they would also be serious contenders. Port Adelaide and Adelaide can count themselves unlucky missing out on the double chance but I think they will still be threats in the finals series. Both teams could finish in the top 4 however.

Melbourne and Essendon have the potential to surprise but a top 4 finish is unlikely from where I see it. It's been a long time since both of these teams have won a final (2006 and 2004 respectively) and that would be the minimum expectation I'd have for the Dees and the Bombers going into next year. The Saints, Bulldogs and the Hawks can be considered stiff to miss out on a top 8 spot but I can see all of them finishing higher than where I've put them and could easily find themselves back in finals action in 2018. Although I think Collingwood and West Coast are less likely to nab a top 8 spot ahead of the Saints, Bulldogs or the Hawks, I won't be ruling out finals for either of these two teams. In saying that, a mid table finish outside of the top 8 is what I think will happen. In total I think 13 teams are in finals contention.

I wouldn't consider any of the last 5 teams on my ladder to be in finals contention but they are all in the development stage atm so they'll still need a couple more years at least before they enter finals contention I reckon. I do think it's pretty even between those 5 teams so any of them could finish higher than each other.

1. Geelong 16 wins (15-17 wins)
2. GWS 16 wins (15-17 wins)
3. Sydney 15 wins (14-16 wins)
4. Richmond 15 wins (14-16 wins)
5. Port Adelaide 14 wins (13-15 wins)
6. Adelaide 14 wins (13-15 wins)
7. Melbourne 13 wins (11-14 wins)
8. Essendon 13 wins (11-14 wins)
9. St Kilda 12 wins (10-13 wins)
10. Western Bulldogs 11 wins (10-13 wins)
11. Hawthorn 11 wins (10-13 wins)
12. Collingwood 9 wins (8-11 wins)
13. West Coast 8 wins (7-10 wins)
14. Brisbane 7 wins (6-8 wins)
15. Fremantle 7 wins (6-8 wins)
16. North Melbourne 6 wins (6-8 wins)
17. Carlton 6 wins (5-7 wins)
18. Gold Coast 5 wins (5-7 wins)
You got both Geelong and Port above Adelaide.

Quality poster

1. GWS - Best list in the comp.
2. Richmond - Best team in the comp. Can't see them slowing down or dropping off much if at all.
3. Sydney - Last roll of the dice. The talent is there but this may be their last opportunity.
4. Essendon - 2nd year with their full side back plus some great new recruits.
5. Melbourne - Had the talent last year to make the 8 but were hampered with injuries. Some players seriously need an attitude re-adjustment though.
6. Port Adelaide - Like Collingwood they have a great list but are inconsistent. Have recruited well.
7. Adelaide - The GF loss killed them. Already coming apart at the seams.
8. Geelong - May even be lucky to make the 8. 2 decades of experience just retired from their backline. Bartell and Enright left only the year before. That's the biggest loss of experience in 2 years perhaps ever. Ablett just can't stay fit these days. Even if Ablett played every game they still wouldn't make top 4.
12. Carlton - So many high draft picks. A lot of talent came through and started stepping up last year. They'll keep improving gradually.
13. Western Bulldogs - Some good talent but far from a top side. So many teams above them and about to surpass them.
14. Fremantle - Starting to rebuild nicely. Some of the older guys can still go. Won't make the 8 for a long time though.
15. West Coast - Won't make the 8 for a long time. Too many old guys still there. Only 2 or 3 elite players. Way too many passengers. Very little for fans to be optimistic about.
16. Brisbane - So much young talent. Still a few years off but will have a couple of big wins this year over good sides to let everyone know they're coming. They'll jump ahead of West Coast by the end of the year.
17. Gold Coast - Have some good players but are devoid of a winning culture. They have no fans and nobody else cares about them. Gaz just abandoned them. A completely failed project. Merge or fold.
18. North Melbourne - Could see the writing on the wall and embraced the rebuild sooner rather than later. Wooden spooners for 5 straight years. Massive lol at all the flogs that had them finishing above Collingwood in 2017 (the majority of the board)

Geelong may have lost Lonergan and Mackie but Mackie is easily replaced, Lonergan will be replaced by Taylor or Henderson who then would have Kolodjashnij in that role.

Not a big a shift as you are are making it out to be.

And Bartel he had been cooked for a fair while before retirement

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You have the worst key position group in the league by a fair way.

I find it funny you have us pegged for the spoon (5 years straight apparently) but if Moore or Reid goes down at all, your lot is gonna be looking at the bottom 4 with us at least.

SYDNEY won't have as bad a start as last year. No signifant losses list wise
ADELAIDE Gibbs more than offsets there loses
PORT added what should be three best 22 players to there list
GEELONG Ablett returns although a bit of a worry regarding KP depth and list depth in general
RICHMOND will be making sure they don't drop of like the bullies did this year but a tougher draw and being the hunted will make it a bit more difficult
MELBOURNE the time has come as there list looks impressive and will have a lot of there youngish players with more potential to improve
GWS the leaking of best 22 players to other clubs will effect there depth
WEST COAST. Not relying on part time ruckman will offset to a fair degree the loss of depth to the midfield which was a problem in itself due to Priddis and Mitchell lack of pace. Could drop down further if players filling those roles dont impact.
ESSENDON. Like West Coast. The midfield is the weakness. Not sure if the three traded players will lead to that much of an improvement. Could easily finish in the eight though
BULLDOGS. cant see where the improvement is coming from but if they can get that desire back from last year who knows.
SAINTS. lost a few good players to retirement so in a bit of a holding patten this year
HAWKS. Can't see the finishing below here with Clarkson as coach. Could easily finish higher just for that reason
COLLINGWOOD. There spine is a huge concern. Just can't see where the improvemrnt is coming from although an easy draw may help
FREO. Finished the season badly and not sure if Ross Lyon can change his game plan enough to be a more attacking side
BRISBANE. really like there young players. Hodge will have an influence on how they play defensively
CARLTON. great young list but the loss of Gibbs and Doherty will hurt. Need to find more scoring ability
NORTH. In full rebuild mode. Will take time
GOLDCOAST. The draw dosent help. Sadly rebuilding again

Sydney
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Adelaide
Gws
Essendon
Melbourne
Richmond

West coast
Bulldogs
St kilda
Hawks
Fremantle
Carlton
Brisbane
Collingwood
Gold coast
North melbourne

GWS
Adelaide
Geelong
Sydney
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Essendon
Western Bulldogs
———————
Melbourne
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Fremantle
West Coast
Collingwood
Brisbane
Carlton
North Melbourne
Gold Coast

GWS
Geelong
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Richmond
Melbourne
Sydney
Essendon

Western
Hawthorn
Collingwood
St Kilda
Fremantle
West Coast
Brisbane
North Melbourne
Gold Coast
Carlton

1. Sydney - a great list that will benefit from the exposure to young players in 2017.
2. GWS - great talent that is a year older and wiser
3. Port Adelaide - I like their contested ball and clearance work
4. Geelong - don't bat the deepest, but without injuries to top liners they'll be thereabouts
5. Melbourne - their best young players will start pushing 50 games. The time is now. Like Port, excel at the contest and clearances
6. Adelaide - lost 3 best 22 players, but add Gibbs and won't fall far. I see a slight drop
7. Richmond - their game-plan works. Are they still hungry ? Won't have element of surprise
8. Footscray - will start getting their mojo back
9. Collingwood - I think they'll surprise and be right in it at year's end
10. Hawthorn - the hardest for me to place. Can their midfield reach the level required and older playes keep producing ?
11. St Kilda - treading water. Honest, but lack class/top end talent
12. Essendon - over-hyped and over-rated. Don't win contests or clearances against good teams. Front runners
13. Fremantle - they start their resurgence
14. Brisbane - I sense they're finally a happy club and they ooze talent. Love the list they're building. Going places
15. West Coast - sliding big time. Horrible midfield
16. Carlton - I feel guilty putting them here, because their list is developing nicely, but need another year and more support for Cripps & Murphy. Gibbs/Docherty big losses
17. Gold Coast - very young again and will build a better list/club under Dew, but it's a learning year
18. North Melbourne - lose to the Dees for the first time since 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Back