Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd so many have Richmond so low and Port so high. Expecting a Bulldogs like hangover? I'd be surprised if the Tigers don't finish top 4. Port should make top 8 but don't see them up there.
I'm not sure about the Port Adelaide hype. I'm expecting a tougher fixture and more pressure on the club to succeed which may not help them. As most know, they failed to beat a single incumbent top eight side during the year so some including myself might see them as mentally weak. There are a lot of flakey types who you can't rely on 22 times a year. I'll give them their back line, it's terrific and deserves more praise than it gets. But that midfield lacks something vital and it doesn't look like being filled unless Powell-Pepper goes full Oliver or something next year.

They can well make finals, or even go top four and win the flag but I don't see the improvement and I don't think they'll make finals. A lot of players would have to pull their fingers out to see success - Hartlett, Polec, Neade, SGray, Motlop if recruited.

1. Adelaide
2. GWS
3. Sydney
4. Melbourne
5. Richmond
6. Port Adelaide
7. Bulldogs
8. Geelong
---------------------------------------------
9. Essendon
10. St.Kilda
11. Collingwood
12. Hawthorn
13. West Coast
14. Carlton
15. Fremantle
16. Brisbane
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

These threads always crack me up with everyone taking it personally.

Takes this one to Kogan.com for your free million $...

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Melbourne
4. Richmond
5. Adelaide
6. Essendon
7. Port Adelaide
8. Collingwood
9. St Kilda
10. Geelong
11. Bulldogs
12. West Coast
13. Hawthorn
14. Carlton
15. North Melbourne
16. Fremantle
17. Brisbane
18. Gold Coast

Odd so many have Richmond so low and Port so high. Expecting a Bulldogs like hangover? I'd be surprised if the Tigers don't finish top 4. Port should make top 8 but don't see them up there.

I think Richmond 2018 is equivalent to the Bulldogs 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar year to 2014.

1. Adelade: The best home and away side all year, yes they will lose Lever but they will get Gibbs, see them being very hard to beat.

2. Sydney: Started 0-6 this year and still nearly made the top 4, highly unlikely they start that bad again, more likely they have a big run like they did late in the season. Adding Watts should give them another dimension up forward.

3. Richmond: Tough one here as their draw will be much harder than what it was this year but i think they have a gun in each position to lead the way and i don't see them doing a Bulldogs

4. Essendon: Expecting massive inprovements from them, making the finals after what the club had been through was amazing, i think they have a decent list and should improve. Play an exciting brand.

5. GWS: They could fall even a little further, i think they will still make the 8, but not top 4, 5th-8th somewhere but il give them 5th on name alone. Losing some decent players this years trade period and I'm hearing Mummy might not go on.

6. Geelong: Another team that will fall a bit, but still good enough to make the 8. Will get Gaz so their mid/fwd set up should be ok, but their inability to play away from Simmonds at times and don't underestimate losing Mackie and Lonergan and an ageing Taylor.

7. Collingwood: Potentially bias, but i can see us making the 8 next year, i think we have some young players that are ready to explode and say what you want, we actually played some decent footy this year and were in every game we played. Finished 13th as well so should get an "easy" draw.

8. Melbourne: I think 2018 is the year they will make it! Which is an improvement right there on this year. Should get Lever even if it is for way overs so that will help, just see them going 1 better than this year.

9. Port Adelaide: I am sensing a disappointment coming, flat track bullies will get found out a bit more in 2018, will be there abouts fighting for 7th-12th i reckon but have them missing out, will get a hard draw for finishing top 6. Adding Motlop wont help that much as he enjoys the flat tracks as well!

10. St.Kilda: Another dissapointing year for them, heat will start on Richo, they are to up and down with their form, can be great, can be terrible. Lose 2 massive leaders in Riewoldt and Montagna as well.

11. Hawthorn: Don't see them returning to the finals again just yet, will take some time adjusting without Hodgey and even Gibson down back.

12. Western Bulldogs: People probably expecting them to bounce back as Hawthorn did after 09 but i don't. Not yet anyway, defensively they worry me i think and obviously will lose Stringer and a few things going on behind the doors at the club so don't see them improving.

13. Carlton: Slowly improving and working their way up the ladder! A good young list, losing Gibbs will be a set back, if they can get Rockliff it should cover him but that's if. Well led and plenty of talent down back they will win a few more games than what they did this year.

14. West Coast: The team i am predicting to slide the most, losing Priddis, Mitchell and Petrie will hurt a bit, yes they get Nic Nat back but they are another team who normally struggle away from home as well.

15. Brisbane: I see a mini rise for Brisbane finally! I think they will get Hodge which will be massive for them and QLD footy in general. Another year into the kids and they should move up a few places.

16. Fremantle: Another year of just rebuilding, wont win a great deal of games. Can Ross take them through this rebuild?

17. North Melbourne: The club that is throwing money at anything they can! I think they have ran out of options and will attempt to lure a big fish at the end of 2018, until then i can't see them doing much.

18. Gold Coast: Wooden spooners for 2018! Gold Coast will look to hit the super draft hard, almost certainly will lose Gaz and looking like Saad as well. The club has been a massive failure sadly.

Last edited:
1 - Adelaide Crows
Still look to be a league above the rest. Strong in every area. They'll probably still search for the few answers to their deficiencies over this off-season. Whether that is Gibbs or somebody else. Lever will be a big loss, but they look to bat real deep in defence.

2 - Sydney Swans
Can't see this team dropping off any time soon. Their kids and younger inexperienced crop always seem to have an immediate impact in the game.

3 - GWS Giants
Similar to Sydney. While their depth will look to become weaker with so many players looking for opportunity elsewhere, their best can certainly take them all the way. It just becomes a matter of whether they can build on proper teamwork and other team values.

4 - Western Bulldogs
They will recover from this year and do some damage next year. They'll get good out of the trades for Stinger and improve in the KP department.

5 - Melbourne
Their spine looks just about set. Just need one or two more players with more polish and the entire team needs better discipline. After that, they'll be laughing and crying tears of joy when they make their first finals series since 2006.

6 - Richmond
They will get found out and won't have as lucky of a run with their injury list. Their depth will be put to the test and some teams will overcome their pressure.

7 - Port Adelaide
Once again this team will make the finals, but not do any damage. They look quick on their feet but lack the skill. They'll be unable to match it with the best.

8 - Geelong Cats
The impact of many of their veterans will be sorely missed. Don't have the right cattle to replace them. They'll only make up the numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 - Fremantle
Building up their backline and injecting speed will see them avoid humiliation and push up the ladder to just miss out. Just need to be a little more aggressive going forward.

10 - St. Kilda
Dodgier rebuild. A lot of pacey players, but the skill isn't there. Look to have their backline set up well, but there are questions surrounding the engine room and forward line.

11 - Essendon
In need of some grunt in the centre. Also need to put more focus on their younger crop (not just McGrath). Give them a string of games throughout the year and not just two or three.

12 - Collingwood
Despite the coaching changes, I still see uncertainty amongst this list in regards to damage. Need to perform less like seagulls at the chip and takes risks with pushing the ball forward. Some run off half back and a couple more KP players are very much needed as well.

13 - West Coast
The big changes put to place are going to take some time, so I expect them too drop off a little. Probably even bottom out in a couple of years. Time to let the younger group take the wheel and get a good idea of each other's game.

14 - Brisbane Lions
They'll most certainly improve. A fit and healthy list under the wing of a well-experienced man. Hodge will help with teaching the kids a thing or two and a few more of them could prove to be potential stars.

15 - Carlton
The final year of the 66-game rebuild will see the kids gel together and one or two have a breakout season. Will need to continue to improve on the depth for the midfield. Can't see them being any worse than this year.

16 - Hawthorn
One or two kids that look the goods, but other than Mitchell, their recruiting is not a pretty sight from here. A couple of big names to return but still a long drop from the team they once were.

17 - North Melbourne
Little to no star factor. A fair few ageing players and not many promising kids (though that is expected to change in this season). It only becomes a matter of building cohesion and continuing to recognize the next batch to take the club forward again.

18 - Gold Coast
Very inconsistent. A lot of pace, but extremely sloppy. A change of the coaching staff is needed. Perhaps find some homegrown talent and discover some potential leaders and not have those in question of where they sit take charge.
Props on the colours and detail

1. GWS
2. Richmond
3. Sydney
4. Adelaide
5. Hawthorn
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda
8. Melbourne

9. Collingwood
10. Western bulldogs
11. Port Adelaide
12. Essendon
13. Fremantle
14. Carlton
15. West Coast
16. Brisbane
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Adelaide
4. Melbourne
5. Geelong
6. St Kilda
7. Port
8. Richmond
9. Essendon
10. WC
11. Hawthorn
12. Collingwood
13. Fremantle
14. Brisbane
15. Western Bulldogs
16. Carlton
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

GWS to pump the Dees in the first final then lose to the Dees at the MCG with Melbourne winning a fairytale flag

1. Sydney
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. Adelaide
5. Port
6. Western Bulldogs
7. GWS
8. Melbourne

------------------------

9. Hawthorn
10. West Coast
11. Essendon
12. St. Kilda
13. Collingwood
14. Fremantle
15. Brisbane
16. Carlton
17. North Melbourne
18. Gold Coast

1. Sydney
2. GWS
3. Adelaide
4. Geelong
5. Richmond
6. Essendon
7. Melbourne
8. Western Bulldogs
--------------------
9. Port Adelaide
10. Hawthorn
11. St Kilda
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood
14. Fremantle
15. Carlton
16. Brisbane
17. North Melbourne.
18. Gold Coast.

1. GWS (most talented list, should win most games, won't win flag)
2. Melbourne (rebuild nearly complete, could be the fairytale story following on from Dogs, Tiges)
3. Crows (ultra-consistent, tough to beat, needs a bit of extra pace in midfield)
4. Swans (won't start as poorly as this year, ultra-consistent - last chance for a flag with Buddy?)
5. Tigers (still a bloody hard team to beat, had a charmed run with injuries this year, will be the hunted in 2018)
6. Saints (only got them this high based on them doing something special in draft period - what will they do with first round draft picks?)
7. Cats (will be thereabouts but concerns over defence and big queries on the quality of their talls)
8. Hawks (taking an optimistic view based on second half of 2017 despite horror injury list)
---------------
9: Bombers (lots of talent on list, not enough mongrel though)
10: Power (could easily swap with Saints, Cats or Hawks and make finals)
11: Blues (on the way up, I like the way their list is developing)
12: Magpies (just in a holding pattern, not a bad list, but far from a great one)
13: Lions (as for Carlton - list rebuild is starting to take shape)
14: Dogs (the problems run far deeper than just Stringer)
15: Dockers (Could yet improve and contend for 8-12 based on trade/draft period and with Bennell coming back)
16: Roos (let's not forget this team won their last game interstate by ten goals - has some promise)
17: Eagles (list which got close to the summit and now probably needs to start again from base camp)
18: Suns (still amazed that this rabble beat the Hawks twice this year - may be lucky to win two games next year).

1. GWS
2. Melbourne
3. St.Kilda
4. Sydney
5. Adelaide
6. Richmond
7. Geelong
8. Bulldogs
---------------------------------------------
9. Port Adelaide
10. Collingwood
11. Essendon
12. Carlton
13. West Coast
14. Hawthorn
15. Gold Coast
16. Fremantle
17. Brisbane
18. North Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ I think we can finish 4th but top 2...I'm getting altitude sickness
That will probably be too much of a stretch for us to make top 2 and our consistency will have to improve dramatically. Could potentially finish in the top 4 if a lot goes well for us but thinking top 6 is more likely. Making finals is a non-negotiable though.

Jesus Christ I think we can finish 4th but top 2...I'm getting altitude sickness

That will probably be too much of a stretch for us to make top 2 and our consistency will have to improve dramatically. Could potentially finish in the top 4 if a lot goes well for us but thinking top 6 is more likely. Making finals is a non-negotiable though.
Melbourne has all the right tools, and I did my rankings based on who I think have the best lists with a few tweaks based on trade rumours as well as natural progression of existing players. Melbourne will be big improvers in 2018 and for mine will have a shot at the flag.

I'll just do the top 8 for 2018:

1. GWS
2. Richmond
3. Adelaide
4. Sydney
5. Melbourne
6. Saints
7. Bulldogs
8. Collingwood

Think the Pies will surprise a few next year. Carlton will also be thereabouts. Dogs to rebound.

Concerns about Geelong - think they're set to slide. North will win the spoon

Melbourne has all the right tools, and I did my rankings based on who I think have the best lists with a few tweaks based on trade rumours as well as natural progression of existing players. Melbourne will be big improvers in 2018 and for mine will have a shot at the flag.
It's flattering that a lot of posters here rate us highly enough to think we could finish top 4 or even top 2 next year. Would love that to happen but feel that our consistency won't be good enough to make top 4 but I'm open to the possibility of us sneaking in there if a fair bit goes right. Spots in the top 8 will be very competitive and likewise in the top 4 so it's going to be interesting to see how those teams in contention for the top 4 and top 8 fare in 2018.

It's flattering that a lot of posters here rate us highly enough to think we could finish top 4 or even top 2 next year. Would love that to happen but feel that our consistency won't be good enough to make top 4 but I'm open to the possibility of us sneaking in there if a fair bit goes right. Spots in the top 8 will be very competitive and likewise in the top 4 so it's going to be interesting to see how those teams in contention for the top 4 and top 8 fare in 2018.
I think it's a fair expectation that consistency will improve as your youngsters get older, tougher and wiser. The concern I would have is I think your rightful path included sneaking into the 8 this year. It was very competitive around the margins of the 8 this year though with a number of even sides.
A lot of upside in your midfield though.

I think it's a fair expectation that consistency will improve as your youngsters get older, tougher and wiser. The concern I would have is I think your rightful path included sneaking into the 8 this year. It was very competitive around the margins of the 8 this year though with a number of even sides.
A lot of upside in your midfield though.
I'm expecting our consistency in performing week after week and against the sides near the bottom of the ladder to improve in 2018. I thought our undoing this year was our losses to sides in the bottom half of the ladder such as North twice, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Collingwood in the last round which ultimately cost us a spot in the finals. 3 of those games were decided by under a goal and the other 2 we lost by 2-3 goals so those 5 games altogether were pretty narrow losses. It proves every moment counts. It was very disappointing that we didn't make the 8 and it's a non-negotiable going into 2018.

I'd like to see us develop a consistency to be able to win at least 4-5 games in a row more than once in a season. We see that the sides in the top 4 have the consistency to do that. Your team was able to win a stretch of 4 games in a row twice this year as well as being able to win a stretch of 5 games in a row. We should be striving for that consistency in the coming seasons.

I've got a lot of faith in our group and think there is a lot of upside and scope for improvement in our team which is encouraging. I'm aiming for a top 6 finish.

1. Adelaide-Will seek redemption a finish for a fairy tale story!
2. Melbourne-Will surprise us all, with the addition of leaver he will have back to back heart brake in the gf.
3. Richmond-Will be up there again cant see them going back to back
4. GWS-Just sneaking in the 4 if there list stays fit
5. Sydney-just missing out on the 4
6. Port Adelaide-struggling away from home, but surprising everyone by making the prelim
7. Geelong-The biggest disappointment story of the season only lasting the first week in the finals
8. ST Kilda-Just beating the pies for a spot in the 8

9. Collingwood-Just missing out
10. Western Bulldogs-will have a similar season to last
11. Carlton-This young team is coming
12. Essendon-Will go backwards
13. Fremantle-List is improving
14. West Coast-time to start rebulding
15. Brisbane-Like Carlton they are coming
16. Hawthorn-There off field issues will reflect on feild
17. North Melbourne-Rebuilding
18. Gold Coast-Its going to be a long year for the suns

Finals

WEEK 1

1. Adelaide v 4. GWS Winner: Adelaide
2. Melbounre v 3. Richmond Winner: Melboune
5. Sydney v 8. ST Kilda: Winner: Sydney
6. Port v 7. Geelong: Winner: Port Adelaide

WEEK 2

GWS v Sydney Winner: GWS
Richmond v Port Winner: Port

WEEK 3

Adelaide v Port Adelaide Winner: Adelaide
Melbounre v GWS Winner: Melbounre

Grand Final

Adelaide wins

I'm expecting our consistency in performing week after week and against the sides near the bottom of the ladder to improve in 2018. I thought our undoing this year was our losses to sides in the bottom half of the ladder such as North twice, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Collingwood in the last round which ultimately cost us a spot in the finals. 3 of those games were decided by under a goal and the other 2 we lost by 2-3 goals so those 5 games altogether were pretty narrow losses. It proves every moment counts. It was very disappointing that we didn't make the 8 and it's a non-negotiable going into 2018.

I'd like to see us develop a consistency to be able to win at least 4-5 games in a row more than once in a season. We see that the sides in the top 4 have the consistency to do that. Your team was able to win a stretch of 4 games in a row twice this year as well as being able to win a stretch of 5 games in a row. We should be striving for that consistency in the coming seasons.

I've got a lot of faith in our group and think there is a lot of upside and scope for improvement in our team which is encouraging. I'm aiming for a top 6 finish.
Id have to agree - i reckon about 4-7 is where your lot will be hitting this year.

1.GWS
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. Essendon
5. Richmond
6. Sydney
7. Collingwood
8. Hawthorn
9. St Kilda
10 Port
11 Geelong
12 West Coast
13 Carlton
14 Bulldogs
15 Brisbane
16 North
17 GC
18 Freo

Premiers Melbourne

Tough one to estimate. It really depends though on the trade period + fixture release and draft. Prior to all of that, I could see Richmond finishing in the bottom 2. After these events took place, I could see Richmond finish as high as 4th.

My early guess for big risers are Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Brisbane. Collingwood have somewhat of a foundation already whereas Essendon and Carlton seem like they are in for a big off-season.
Brisbane showed signs of a strong forward line towards the back end of the season, so they could jump up too.

Melbourne look like they could make the top 4 as well.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how trade period unfolds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back