News 2018 Leadership Group Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in China right now and I've just got back to hotel room after a big night out on the mai tai and logged in to see FINALLY a leadership group that makes sense - GO CARLTON

all mongrels in that group apart from Murph who is probably too hurt to be one - GO BLUES and GO MONGRELS!!
Alex Syvagni what a TO PICK!

love ya all

Does it really matter? As long as they are all driving the same values, the group will benefit, especially with the number of youth on our list
No it doesn't but I agree with Kane that you don't need 8 when 4 would do just as well.

No it doesn't but I agree with Kane that you don't need 8 when 4 would do just as well.
Only need one really, and that is purely so there is a 'leader' for the media to gravitate to as a spokesperson for the playing group.

Technically, you could get away with none at all.

I think this is a signal that they're looking to get the most out of Simmo and ASOS before they hang up their boots. The total number will trend downward in a season or two.
I think you are spot on Jimmae.

I also think that Plowman gets a development opportunity and perhaps continues on in the the leadership group. However, I think Docherty, Cripps, Samo and Weiters get the Capt and VC gigs before Plowman.

Thought it was obvious, I think 8 is unnecessry and to many. It's over a 1/3 of your team on game day.

Disclaimer: In no way am I taking a swipe here, so please don’t take it that way! Just trying to understand your perspective, because to me it’s not an obvious position.

You think 8 is unnecessary because ... ?

You think 8 is too many because ... ?

And I see you’re also suggesting that 1/3 of your team on game day being the leadership group is too many - what’s the rationale behind that?

Cheers :thumbsu:

Thought it was obvious, I think 8 is unnecessry and to many. It's over a 1/3 of your team on game day.
In fairness it won't ever be 8 on game day as Doc is out for the year and I think ASOS being there is akin to Armfield last year; he's a respected senior bloke who'll do a heap at the club but isn't a certainty on match day to be in the 22 (either due to fitness or selection). If that takes the 'leadership ratio' down to just over 1/4 does that make you feel better about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disclaimer: In no way am I taking a swipe here, so please don’t take it that way! Just trying to understand your perspective, because to me it’s not an obvious position.

You think 8 is unnecessary because ... ?

You think 8 is too many because ... ?

And I see you’re also suggesting that 1/3 of your team on game day being the leadership group is too many - what’s the rationale behind that?

Cheers :thumbsu:

It's just my view but I see a smaller leadership group as a stronger one with the group looking to the captain, vice and a deputy or two as the players driving the standards on and off the feild. The likes of Murphy, Cripps and Doc are more then capable of doing this for the entire group. Leadership meetings would consist of 3 or 4 players setting goals/standards and conveying them to the group not 8.

3 or 4 players can perform all duties that are required of the leadership group why drag it out to 8? Of our 6 defenders 4 have been named in the leadership group is that really necessary or is that to many cooks?

Once again just my view but keep it small and simple, the group knows to go to one of the 3 or 4 players then they can take that to their leadership meetings with bolts.

Everyone can be a leader in one way or another they don't need a title.

It's just my view but I see a smaller leadership group as a stronger one with the group looking to the captain, vice and a deputy or two as the players driving the standards on and off the feild. The likes of Murphy, Cripps and Doc are more then capable of doing this for the entire group. Leadership meetings would consist of 3 or 4 players setting goals/standards and conveying them to the group not 8.

If you think of the leadership group as being the conduit between the coaches and the players, when the majority of your list is learning then you need a bigger group to spread the message. When you have an established playing group, the conduit needn’t be as large so a smaller group is needed.

Also that this is a transitional period would make sense to have a few more for a good hand over of leadership duties.

3 or 4 players can perform all duties that are required of the leadership group why drag it out to 8? Of our 6 defenders 4 have been named in the leadership group is that really necessary or is that to many cooks?

Once again just my view but keep it small and simple, the group knows to go to one of the 3 or 4 players then they can take that to their leadership meetings with bolts.

Everyone can be a leader in one way or another they don't need a title.

Great response, thanks!

I don’t really have a strong position on this, so it’s good to hear many opinions to inform my own.

I tend to think that the club is promoting leadership as an aspirational goal - being either a leader in the community, or of the Firsts or the Magoos (both on the ground and off it). This lines up with all the evidence we’ve seen from Bolton and the coaches over time (Tasmania videos etc)

Seems to me like it’s all part of Bolton’s mission to create a group of balanced and well-rounded men we can be proud of.

If that’s the case, perhaps that explains the sheer number of those in the leadership group?

That said, I don’t think having 8 in the group waters down the value of a leadership title - rather I think it highlights the increased number of candidates that must be putting their hand up as a result of Bolton’s program.

I can’t be sure if any of this of course, but I think we’re better off with more players putting themselves forward than less. And if Bolton and co end up with a headache in future years because he has to work harder to whittle the leadership group numbers down, it down can only be a good thing for our group long term.

8 to me is like a kids sports day
No 1st 2nd Or 3rds
Just we’re all winners :)

It kind of feels like the 2 captains playing same time , like seriously?...
If you think of the leadership group as being the conduit between the coaches and the players, when the majority of your list is learning then you need a bigger group to spread the message. When you have an established playing group, the conduit needn’t be as large so a smaller group is needed.

Also that this is a transitional period would make sense to have a few more for a good hand over of leadership duties.
I was leading towards the eight is more than enough view as per CC's post.

However, onesilop does bring up a good point i wasnt considering. We are a very young team and perhaps if you have lots of indians you need a few more chiefs.

I was leading towards the eight is more than enough view as per CC's post.

However, onesilop does bring up a good point i wasnt considering. We are a very young team and perhaps if you have lots of indians you need a few more chiefs.
That’s it !
I’m sold
Let’s have 21 leadershipers and a Captain !

never been much of a fan of marc as captain but was pleasantly surprised when he was interviewed by the age yesterday.

easton wood talked about bungee jumping, jack viney reversing the ban on sling tackles so he wouldn't get suspended ...
marc talked about the afl focusing on reinvesting in grassroots football with money and resources, rather than looking to expand internationally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back