News 2018 Leadership Group

Remove this Banner Ad

Opened this thread hoping to see something positive, just seen the same old flogs being miserable campaigners.
Well let’s us know what you think of the group then, is the leadership team good or bad.

Well let’s us know what you think of the group then, is the leadership team good or bad.
It's what was expected from the outside. What does everyone want? The experienced leaders not being the leaders?

If that Dunny promotion doesn’t get you up, you’re dead inside.
Questioning his place in the leadership group has no bearing on my admiration for the man. Does he really need to be in there to be a presence onfield?

2 yrs ago there was an article about Collingswood leadership development...
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-to-build-an-afl-footballer-20160229-gn66qg.html
So where is Grundy? And with Moore floating back , not a place where his leadership skills will be honed with warhorses like Howe and Dunn directing the traffic.

Sidenote: Marsh and Stephenson could be twins. Eerie similarity...

Questioning his place in the leadership group has no bearing on my admiration for the man. Does he really need to be in there to be a presence onfield?.

Doesn't that apply equally to any player not in the leadership group irrespective of where they play?

I'm not sure why people invest so much time and effort querying leadership announcements. I'd be happy to just have a captain and a v/c.

Doesn't that apply equally to any player not in the leadership group irrespective of where they play?

I'm not sure why people invest so much time and effort querying leadership announcements. I'd be happy to just have a captain and a v/c.
I'm with you on that.
One captain only.

Then if they wish a vice and if wish further a deputy.

If there are others that's ok at next level etc.

But the angst driven reactions on such announcements.... mystifying.
Players and coaching group have their say, decision made.

And then announced.

Then we play.

NB: everybody can be a leader anyway by behaviours on and off the field.

Nobody complained when Scotty Burns was appointed captain for his final season even though it was always going to be one year only..
Everybody complained when Nick Maxwell was appointed captain, because they didnt think he was best 22.

Happy with Dunn's selection on the leadership team. Its irrelevant if hes got one year left in his career or four. And clearly he will be best 22 alongside Moore as the other key defender. Goldsack overlooked because maybe he isnt an automatic selection every week.

Collingwood have made a few blunders in recent years with leadership team (Keeffe, Maccaffer two that spring to mind) but Dunn wont prove to be a mistake.

The others select themselves. Great to see Howe there too.

As for 2019 leadership group....worry about that in twelve months time.

Last edited:
I like the streamlined look of the leaders and Dunn is a great addition. Way exceeded my expectations. I am happy to say I got him wrong. He did an interview on SEN recently and did drop in a line about playing for another 4-5 seasons. Love the attitude

Also thing the young leaders is a good idea and gives a perspective of which young guys are seen best 22 leaders for the future. Langdon obviously has the confidence of the coaches and playing group which is at odds which th how he is sen here at times. Hope he and Shaz can really nail down their positions in the 22 this season and show major improvement.

I like it!! I also like the Emerging Leaders model. Maxy doing some good stuff already as we all knew he would.
JDG should of made the emerging leaders group, had he not got himself into trouble last year....Hope he's fully invested and busting for a huge 2018.

Last game of 2017 when we beat Melbourne the siren went and the camera goes to Lynden Dunn. Look how pumped he is after a meaningless win for us. If every player out there for us plays with the heart and passion Dunny has we can go far.

I say big part of it was him Proving Melbourne Wrong that he was Finished

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't hate Pendles at all, just think we have better leaders on our list.:)

Really? Who are these better leaders? Is that based on on-field performance only or are they good leaders off the field as well? Assuming they are better as you claim, does that then assure they'd be better captains?

Pendles is our best leader.
Absolutely!

Does it all on and off the field.
Leads by example.

We also look well placed in future with candidates for captain like Adams, Sidebottom... then Maynard, Grundy, Moore etc

This is good.

But till later, it's captain Pendlebury and that's terrific, I reckon.

Umm, no Taylor Adams??
Captain: Pendlebury
Vice Captain: Steele Sidebottom

Deputy Vice Captains:
Taylor Adams;
Jeremy Howe;
Lynden Dunn

Absolutely!

Does it all on and off the field.
Leads by example.

We also look well placed in future with candidates for captain like Adams, Sidebottom... then Maynard, Grundy, Moore etc

This is good.

But till later, it's captain Pendlebury and that's terrific, I reckon.
Agreed. I am more than happy for Sidey or Adams to take over in a couple of years, but right now Pendles is still the man for the job. From all reports he is fantastic behind closed doors and does a lot of work people don’t see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back