Strategy 2018 | Let's Construct Our Best 22 | Part 1: Midfielders

Which six players should fill the midfield positions in 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
A bit earlier this year than usual, but that's all good - we can see how our opinions change over the pre-season.

Part 1 is looking at the midfield six:
C: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
R: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

Please vote for the six players you'd want to fill those positions. :footy:

2016 team:
B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tomas Bugg
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Christian Petracca | Cam Pedersen | Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg | Sam Frost | Jack Grimes | James Harmes

E: Billy Stretch | Heritier Lumumba | Jack Trengove

2017 team:
FB: Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
HB: Jayden Hunt | Sam Frost | Michael Hibberd
C: Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF: Christian Petracca | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
FF: Jeff Garlett | Cam Pedersen | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT: Angus Brayshaw | Christian Salem | Billy Stretch | Bernie Vince

E: Jake Melksham | Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg

IN FROM 2016: Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt, Michael Hibberd, Jordan Lewis, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch
OUT FROM 2016: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Tomas Bugg, Aaron vandenBerg, Jack Grimes, James Harmes

2018 team:
FB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
C: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
FF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
R: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
INT: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

E: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

IN FROM 2017:
OUT FROM 2017: Jack Watts

My midfield would be:

C: Brayshaw | Oliver | Salem
R: Gawn | Viney | Jones

Was tempted to put a vote in for Petracca in the midfield but decided that I'll vote for him as a forward.

Is a lot of love for Brayshaw so far. Don't think i'm hating on the kid cause he's going to be good, but i don't think he's reached a level of consistency yet. While ANB frustrated me at times with his decision making he made good strides last year and gets the nod for me ahead of brayshaw. That said i've have Brayshaw on my bench just not my starting 18

C: ANB, Tyson, Salem (Jones has backed him and i will too haha)
R: Gawn (Obvs), Viney, Oliver

I see Jones more interchanging at half back, i put Tyson in the middle, and while he too frustrates me and isn't a great disposal, i do rate his clearance work

I think he will eventually, but I'm still too nervous about Brayshaw to say it'll be next year. Huge for the club when this kid hits his peak though.

If he hits his peak. I have my reservations.

C: Salem, Oliver, Jones
R: Gawn, Viney, Petracca

I'd probably start in at the bounces and stoppages and push him forward and send someone like Lewis or Vince into the midfield in open play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have popped Maynard in to join Max Oliver Jack Dom (who apparently is pain free in the knees for the first time) and Petracca. They'll need to have pace close by to whisk the pill away.

I have popped Maynard in to join Max Oliver Jack Dom (who apparently is pain free in the knees for the first time) and Petracca. They'll need to have pace close by to whisk the pill away.

Good call on that he is an AFL quality clearance player. Would be some serious pressure on Tyson and Vince

At this stage I don’t think Bernie plays more than half a dozen games at afl level barring injuries.

Bernie hopefully is well over his toe problem of last year and will thus no longer need to be jabbed before and during games, which should bring his kicking back to its best.
Being recently wed will either improve or worsen his temper.

At this stage I don’t think Bernie plays more than half a dozen games at afl level barring injuries.

I think we can all agree that Oliver Jones Viney are guaranteed midfield starters
Then the rest are really up for debate. That's 3 inside clearance types already so the other positions may well be filled by blokes with other attributes and Vince on a wing is a better option that Tyson/AVB/Maynard at the moment. It will really depend on the make up of the side.

Back