Strategy 2018 | Let's Construct Our Best 22 | Part 2: Back Six

Which six players should fill the back six positions in 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Part 1 (midfield six) here. Players selected:
  • Clayton Oliver (98.3%)
  • Jack Viney (96.7%)
  • Max Gawn (90.0%)
  • Nathan Jones (86.7%)
  • Dom Tyson (66.7%)
  • Angus Brayshaw (43.3%)
Others: Christian Petracca (30.0%), Christian Salem (26.7%), Alex Neal-Bullen (18.3%), Jordan Lewis (8.3%), Bernie Vince (6.7%), Jayden Hunt (6.7%), James Harmes (3.3%), Billy Stretch (3.3%), Jake Melksham (3.3%), Corey Maynard (3.3%), Tomas Bugg (3.3%), Jay Kennedy-Harris (1.7%), Tom McDonald (1.7%), Harley Balic (1.7%).

Part 2 is looking at the back six:
B: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

Please vote for the six players you'd want to fill those positions. :footy:

2016 team:
B: Neville Jetta | Lynden Dunn (vc) | Colin Garland
HB: Christian Salem | Tom McDonald | Tomas Bugg
C: Dom Tyson | Bernie Vince | Angus Brayshaw
HF: Christian Petracca | Cam Pedersen | Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett | Jesse Hogan | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones (c) | Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg | Sam Frost | Jack Grimes | James Harmes

E: Billy Stretch | Heritier Lumumba | Jack Trengove

2017 team:
FB: Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
HB: Jayden Hunt | Sam Frost | Michael Hibberd
C: Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF: Christian Petracca | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
FF: Jeff Garlett | Cam Pedersen | Jack Watts
R: Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT: Angus Brayshaw | Christian Salem | Billy Stretch | Bernie Vince

E: Jake Melksham | Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg

IN FROM 2016: Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt, Michael Hibberd, Jordan Lewis, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch
OUT FROM 2016: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Tomas Bugg, Aaron vandenBerg, Jack Grimes, James Harmes

2018 team (progressive):
FB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
HB: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

C: Angus Brayshaw | Dom Tyson | Nathan Jones
HF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith
FF: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

R: Max Gawn | Clayton Oliver | Jack Viney
INT: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

E: Nick Smith | Nick Smith | Nick Smith

IN FROM 2017:
OUT FROM 2017: Jack Watts

I would have Joel Smith or Frost depending on the opposing forwards. I've named Smith in my starting 6, but that's against a smaller faster forward structure. We're likely to see more of them after the toigs flag.

Agree with the consensus. Only thing I see changing from time to time will be Lewis to half back and Hunt up the ground
I see Jones in there too. They played him through there in the preseason last year but never really did it during the season. Jones and Lewis to swap through there when needed I think

The tricky selection is the either frost/Omac. . Sides are starting to play smaller forward lines so we may not need both of them in the back 6 each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For now I'd go with:

B: Jetta | O Mac | Lever
HB: Hunt | Frost | Hibberd
This is same as mine. I suspect Lewis will play half back though. And smith will be a big chance to cement a spot down there. Depending on who we’re lining up against possibly Frost will make way. And maybe Hunt to a wing but I think his pace is very valuable to us down back.

This is same as mine. I suspect Lewis will play half back though. And smith will be a big chance to cement a spot down there. Depending on who we’re lining up against possibly Frost will make way. And maybe Hunt to a wing but I think his pace is very valuable to us down back.
Yeah Lewis would've been my next pick on one of the half back flanks and it will be interesting to see how Smith develops next year hopefully without any major injury interruptions.

The tricky selection is the either frost/Omac. . Sides are starting to play smaller forward lines so we may not need both of them in the back 6 each week.
Frost plays better on medium forwards anyway, I think he could definitely defend the Menzel, Membrey, Stringer Type forward.

He’s quick enough to defend most of the smaller guys on the lead but I’m not sure if he’s agile enough. I’d still have him over Joel Smith who hasn’t shown enough IMO to be in our best 22, but from next year onwards Frost becomes more of a flanker than a key defender in my eyes, it’s clear he struggles with big power forwards so hopefully we can relieve him of any KPP duties.

Frost was named to the team of the week at least once this season because of his dash, and his fearlessness compounds his speed to make for a pretty devastating rebounded if left unguarded. His kicking won’t be great but the Johanissen, Mckenna types all just try and break the lines, and that’s all Frost needs to do. Hunt will need to be able to lower his eyes and pick a target though, if he can he could move up to the wing and we could move a reliable kick like Lewis, Brayshaw or Jones back at times.

As expected, pretty conclusive at the moment! Bit surprised by the lack of votes for Smith and Salem, and to a lesser extent, TMcDonald.

The next six (forwards) should be a lot more interesting. Many options.

I think most are thinking Salem will be on a wing rotation

Tmac will be playing forward next year

Oh God. 76.2 percent of you think Frost is an automatic inclusion in our back 6.

I’m going back to bed where I intend to reflect, a little bitterly, on the nature of the football supporter in this modern age. Goodbye

I don't know that I think Frost is an automatic inclusion, but I picked him in my starting back 6 with O-Mac, Hunt, Hibberd, Jetta and Lever. I am sure others will be rotated through as well.

I don't know that I think Frost is an automatic inclusion, but I picked him in my starting back 6 with O-Mac, Hunt, Hibberd, Jetta and Lever. I am sure others will be rotated through as well.
I see him as depth, but TBH I’m exceptionally hungover so probably not thinking altogether clearly. Also I’m not fully certain but I expect I mostly posted that to troll Topkent. I’m not very mature.

Frost is a horses for courses type selection, I can't see him playing against a forward like Richmond or the dogs, but we need agains the Dons or the crows.

His advantage is his speed he can play on smalls, but his big disadvantage is moving the ball out of the backline. He takes of a million miles an hour and mostly dump kicks it 60m. I prefer lever and omac then frost

Back