2018 LFFL Draft - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see there’s no more unwritten rules any more. Would have taken him but assumed we still ran with that so he was a safer bet.
I hear ya, Pie, but it i was shafted two years running with the Hickey/Longer and Turf Toeback up. I knew WAG would be sniffing as he wrote quite the persuasive last year and I thought I was no chance on the rebound with you. Smokey Carry Over.

Stoked to get Dunkley. With his move into the midfield he ave 98 as a utility and mid to high 30's across the midfield positions. Still hasn't played 50 games too so could very well be a carryover option come season's end.

Stoked to get Dunkley. With his move into the midfield he ave 98 as a utility and mid to high 30's across the midfield positions. Still hasn't played 50 games too so could very well be a carryover option come season's end.
He was my next pick so thanks for that :p

Even more stoked to get Blakely. Will take over Neale’s role apparently.
I look forward to when you come in here and go "Not even remotely happy to get Player X." ;)

Great draft everyone. Thought it might be fun do a post-draft survey. Clearly it's easy to get great LFFL players at the start of the draft, but wondering who you think was your fav pick, best value, etc.

Your Two Favourite Picks: Josh Dunkley at #65. His numbers in the back half of the season were elite. Was eyeing him off early and he lasted a couple of extra rounds for me. James Sicily at #29. Quality defender was a want and a need.
Best Value Pick: Dylan Roberton at #188. Clearly a risk but at #188 is worth it. Ave 45 as a defender before his heart condition.
The one that got away: Brodie Smith. 7 more picks and he would have been mine.
Regrets: Probably Dylan Shiel. Was a punt that he can turn it on again in a new environment but was never sold on the pick.

Your Two Favourite Picks: Luke Shuey at Pick #43 and Jacob Hopper and Pick #97. Shuey I was close to selecting a round or two earlier and GWS have lost midfielders which should result in a bigger role for Hopper. Shuey is already a great inside mid in this game but Hopper is the one that could set me up if he breaks out this season.
Best Value Pick: Anthony Miles at pick #138. A risk, but should have a great role at the Suns where he can rack up the clearances.
The one that got away: Dylan Roberton at #187. I'd thought he'd slide to my last pick and I was willing to not handcuff Bellchambers to Zac Clarke in order to select him but immediately regretted passing on Roberton once WAG picked him up with the selection immediately after mine.
Regrets: Well, I won't include Docherty in this because unfortunately he is the easy one here. Probably Polec as I really don't like the guy all that much and the only role he really plays well is as a back which I'm fairly well stocked on already despite the loss of Docherty.

Your two favourite picks: Tom Mcdonald and Elliot Yeo. Didnt expect Yeo to last the pre draft and considered taking him in the 3rd round of the pre draft. Is a beast across all categories and reckon he still has potential to improve. Tom has a touch of risk attached if they decide to shift him to the backline. Fingers crossed on him.

Best value pick: Luke Parker - kept holding off on him but eventually went for it. Had an inconsistent year and still pulled good numbers, he could be huge as an inside mid

The one that got away: Tom Belchambers, needed a first ruck and had hoped to get Tom with my next pick. Instead Ive got Ryder who has greater risk attached to him.

Regrets: Jayden Short, really wanted short as a semi decent Backman but feel I paid too much. Missed out on the likes of Bont, cotchin and O'Meara to get him

Your Two Favourite Picks:

#6 Zach Merrett: We wanted Zach pretty badly. He was down about 10 points on his 2016 and 2017 averages last year and with further midfield depth in 2019, we’re expecting him to get back to beast mode of 94, which while still 16 shy of Tom Mitchell’s numbers, will allow us to play Tom as a captain this year. I care little about the Zach Merrett naysayers. He is a jet and I’m pumped we got him.

#60 Sean Darcy: I gave Pie three opportunities to take Darcy after his Turf Toe pick, but he refused to pick him. WAG wrote quite the Sean Darcy article last year and I believe it’s all still relevant. He is a gun and will assume Freo’s number one ruck spot at some point during the season, and when he does, my CC is locked in, and chances of me carrying someone apart from Tom Mitchell into 2020 will be heightened. I love this pick. The last couple of seaosns has seen managers multiply in playing the ‘backup ruckman shaft’ so knowing Pie was going to get done one way or another, I was happy to oblige.

Best Value Pick:

#114 Peter Wright: Essentially, he is the 17th player on my list but come seasons end, he may be my first or second starting forward. Somebody needs to take the marks and kick the goals now Lynch is gone and I’m expecting 2m Peter to be that man. AFL.com also wrote a lovely article about his so seems there’s a few more in the footy world that have similar expectations of him.

The one that got away:

James Sicily. I didn’t think anyone would take him early being the suspension prone ***** he is, but I was wrong. Fortunately, I took Witherdon with my selection before Sicily, but I still would have loved James on my list. I’m comfortable with Alex, but would rather James knowing now that Sicily was never going to last another round. Special mention to Ollie Wines who was my ‘if Sicily is gone’ selection, but both went before my Mitch Duncan pick.

Regrets

Not taking Dustin Martin with my Jack Viney pick in the pre-draft. Martin ended up lasting another three or so rounds but I would now have been comfortable taking him at what would essentially have been my 4th carry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back