2018 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I dont like from that game is the tackle numbers, especially from the talls. I know we won and had most of the ball but between the rucks and the KPP's there are 3 tackles I think. From McStay, Archie, Big O, Frost, Ballenden and Eagles I would expect a few more than that

Don’t read too much into it. There’s never many tackles in the NEAFL for whatever reason

Don’t read too much into it. There’s never many tackles in the NEAFL for whatever reason

I remember hearing Big O talk about the differences in VFL vs NEAFL and said VFL is much more stoppage orientated whereas NEAFL is much more open. If hat is the case it makes sense there are less tackles per game.

I remember hearing Big O talk about the differences in VFL vs NEAFL and said VFL is much more stoppage orientated whereas NEAFL is much more open. If hat is the case it makes sense there are less tackles per game.
Possibly highlights why we aren't a good tackling team in the AFL.

Plus it's a known thing amongst Fantasy players that you've got to discount NEAFL possession numbers to a far greater degree than the other reserves comps because the numbers can get a bit ridiculous. And that's not just because of the time Titchell spent playing there (though he did contribute to an extent).

One thing I dont like from that game is the tackle numbers, especially from the talls. I know we won and had most of the ball but between the rucks and the KPP's there are 3 tackles I think. From McStay, Archie, Big O, Frost, Ballenden and Eagles I would expect a few more than that
One reason for it is the number of times our bigs go to the ground in marking contests. McStay did it a fair bit on the weekend in the first half, and I can recall seeing Archie, Oscar and Ballenden doing it this year. It's one reason why Richmond were so successful last year, because a player who keeps his feet can tackle and apply pressure. One reason why Rayner is great get for us. Also as others have said tackles more likely for midfielders in stoppages... if Frost and Eagles mark and spoil well there's no need to tackle. Will be interesting to watch this stat in coming weeks.

19 listed players for Sunday. Be good to see Mayes playing in the midfield. This game v Suns should be a big challenge. Suns look to have 17 listed players.

Sunday April 22
Brisbane Lions (5th) v Gold Coast SUNS (2nd) at South Pine Sports Complex, 12pm
*Live Champion Data statistics available on the Official NEAFL App
BRISBANE
B:
42. Mitch Hinge 45. Jack Frost 24. Liam Dawson
HB: 20. Cedric Cox 41. Matt Eagles 22. Marco Paparone
C: 36. Rhys Mathieson 39. Corey Lyons 32. Sam Mayes
HF: 17. Claye Beams 55. Ben Sloan 37. Brandon Starcevich
F: 53. Daniel Fleming 38. Connor Ballenden 50. Jai Kennealy
Foll: 44. Archie Smith 1. Ben Keays 7. Tom Bell
Inter (from): 4. Ryan Bastinac 8. Rohan Bewick 14. Josh Walker 19. Jacob Allison 33. Zac Bailey 35. Ryan Lester 43. Jake Barrett 46. Oscar McInerney
Emer: 48. Jack Tomkinson 51. Nick Smith 54. Billy Johnson 56. Jonah Farry
In: 42. Mitch Hinge 32. Sam Mayes 8. Rohan Bewick 43. Jake Barrett 36. Rhys Mathieson Josh Walker Zac Bailey
Out: 48. Jack Tomkinson (Academy) 51. Nick Smith (Academy) 25. Daniel McStay (AFL)

GOLD COAST
B:
55. Kwaby Boakye 21. Jack Leslie 54. Jayden Verdorn
HB: 34. Mackenzie Willis 37. Josh Jaska 26. Harrison Wigg
C: 13. Callum Ah Chee 18. Bradley Scheer 40. Jacob Heron
HF: 42. Connor Nutting 31. Charlie Ballard 27. Wil Powell
F: 53. Timakoi Bowie 58. Riley Dreghorn 50. Emmanuel Baru
Foll: 32. Brayden Crossley 45. Jacob Dawson 41. Wil Brodie
Inter (from): 39. Nick Holman 7. Jesse Lonergan 20. Michael Barlow 43. Max Spencer 10. Kade Kolodjashnij 3. Matt Rosa 33. Aaron Hall 9. Ben Ainsworth
Emer: 51. Corey Beaman 52. Brodie Foster
In: 27. Wil Powell 13. Callum Ah Chee 39. Nick Holman 43. Max Spencer 10. Kade Kolodjashnij 3. Matt Rosa 33. Aaron Hall 9. Ben Ainsworth
Out: 2. Jack Scrimshaw (injured) 36. Joshua Schoenfeld (injured) 48. Brodie Foster (omitted) 52. Riley Buckland (omitted)

NOTE:
AFL clubs which play on Sunday will have their NEAFL teams finalised on Friday evening.

Last edited:
Votes from round 2:
Brisbane v Sydney

9: Ryan Lester (Brisbane)
7: Claye Beams (Brisbane)
6: Tom Bell (Brisbane)
3: Robbie Fox (Sydney)
2: Ryan Bastinac (Brisbane)
2: Corey Lyons (Brisbane)
1: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)

NEAFL MVP LEADERBOARD – Round 2

15: Cameron Ilett (NT Thunder)
14: Jesse Lonergan (Gold Coast)
14: Andrew Boston (Southport)
14: Tom Bell (Brisbane)
14: Tom Young (Sydney Uni)
13: Michael Barlow (Gold Coast)
11: Josh Clayton (Southport)
10: Jacob Dawson (Gold Coast)
9: Shaun Edwards (Sydney Uni)
9: Ryan Lester (Brisbane)

Josh Clayton doing well, Hammelmann leading the goalkicking with 8, while Jack Rolls is this week's rising star with an impressive 28 disposals, 11 tackles, seven clearances and nine inside 50s. Still only 19, he could be a late developer that could make it. Worth keeping an eye on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Clayton doing well, Hammelmann leading the goalkicking with 8, while Jack Rolls is this week's rising star with an impressive 28 disposals, 11 tackles, seven clearances and nine inside 50s. Still only 19, he could be a late developer that could make it. Worth keeping an eye on.
Signs the Academy is doing its job in strengthening the quality of the NEAFL

Hammer kicked another 6 in a team that loss by 83. He was probably the most surprising of the 3 key forwards that we delisted last year. Might get another chance if he keeps kicking bags.

Hammer kicked another 6 in a team that loss by 83. He was probably the most surprising of the 3 key forwards that we delisted last year. Might get another chance if he keeps kicking bags.
I thought he might get another year.
I saw A Christensen got 2 goals in the same game as well.

I can't see him getting another chance with us as he was kicking bags for us in the NEAFL even when we delisted him. If you meant somewhere, maybe

Hammer 6.3 from 12 possessions when his team only kicked 9 goals and got smashed. 14 for the season from 3 games. If he keeps going like this, then sheer weight of numbers will talk. Be interesting to see how he goes against the AFL sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back