2018 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

He took quite a few risky options in this video which is probably why he was named as our best player in the end. The coaches would no doubt be encouraging him to take the game on so he got some acknowledgement for doing it and pulling it off. Looks like he has bulked up a fair bit as well!

Good to see Hinge taking some marks and not just spoiling in the highlights. Hopefully he can develop into someone similar to Joel Patful.

Demons 42 Lions 7 at half time. Scrappy game as you might expect. We had a lot of the play late first quarter early second but didn't take advantage. When we finally did get our first we slacked off a bit, not many chances after that. Disappointing

Bastinac getting a lot of the footy. Allison has been our best ball user. Smith doing well in the ruck but struggling around the ground. Lyons seems to be busy but hard to tell if he's actually finding it much. Starcevich not having much impact. Hinge has done a few good things but looks a bit lost when he comes up the ground.

Is Bell injured or sitting out the second half?

Injured. Not too bad I don't think.

We're finishing stronger but can't score

Extended thoughts on the game. Feel free to ignore some or all; I wouldn't call myself the most reliable reserves watcher.

It was wet, cold and generally unpleasant. Our academy players - I assume that's what they were - struggled quite a bit. As did some of our seniors, unfortunately. Once the sun came out in the second half we were much better. Canberra weren't much chop either, really, and wasted a lot of good chances. Their backline was well on top of our forwardline for most of the game, although that probably had more to do with the quality of our forward entries.

Bastinac clearly best on ground. Played as an inside mid and was by far the dominant player at the contest, and the reason we were ever competitive at all. He has certainly learnt how to read Archie's ruckwork over their time together in the NEAFL. He did have a tendency to kick without looking, but that's understandable on a wet day when you're always getting the ball under pressure.

Allison probably the next most impressive. He seemed to be playing quite deep in the backline, often as the extra, and was our most penetrating ball user, particularly in the first half. He also did some good things defensively, which was pleasing. Probably has the best case to get promoted on the strength of today's game.

Lyons is one I'm very tempted to check the stat sheet on before I say anything. He played as a full time midfielder and always seemed to be around the ball, but apart from a couple of clearances and tackles I can't remember too much specific that he did. On a day when it was hard to consistently use the ball well not standing out for making too many bad errors might be a plus, though.

Dawson had an interesting game. Started down back and didn't look particularly comfortable, making a bad early error to give up a goal. He settled after that, and then at half time he was switched forward and made much more of an impact, pushing up the ground to provide an option bringing the ball out of the backline that we sorely needed. I'm not sure he'll ever play that role in the seniors though so possibly not a lot to take from today.

Smith and Walker dominated in the ruck, but both struggled for the most part up forward. Walker probably had more of a presence around the ground, particularly in the first half when he seemed to be playing as a roaming centre half forward, but having these guys as our major forward targets - along with some poor academy player (Kenneally I think?) who was frequently one out inside 50 - was a problem on a wet day.

Bell started well, and then picked up a knock to the thigh (I think), spent about twenty minutes on the sidelines trying and failing to run it off and was taken off for the last three quarters. Not sure what it was, but it didn't look too bad.

Hinge was mostly solid defensively but his ball use was problematic. I think at times he was pushed up the ground a bit but didn't seem to have much impact then..

Mathieson was busy. Made a lot of mistakes in the first half but recovered well in the second. He spent some in the forwardline and kicked two goals. All in all I'd be surprised if this game was enough to put him back into senior contention, particularly when he's one of the few players you'd expect to enjoy these conditions.

Paparone really struggled. He played on the wing and spent some time in defence. He made a few mistakes and got beaten one on one a few times in situations he really shouldn't have been beaten. Not his type of game.

Frost did pretty well at the back. Canberra mostly scored from turnovers or counterattacks, but then they don't exactly have a dominant full forward, and it was a tough day to mark anyway.

Now call me crazy, but I am fairly sure Bewick was one of our runners. I do not know why this was, but unless he has a doppelganger he was running around in pink giving instructions.

EDIT: I forgot about Starcevich. He spent some time in the midfield and some forward but didn't impose himself in either position.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Thanks Ironmonger . Really appreciate the write-up. Doesn't sound like Bastinac is injured if he played mid. Apparently he was sore last week. Still think he has something to offer the ones. Good to hear Allison did well too. His kicking is a weapon. Lyons had 22 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle, behind Bastinac (32), Allison (29) and Mathieson (28). We should get a few players back after the bye next week. Time to start winning again.

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Extended thoughts on the game. Feel free to ignore some or all; I wouldn't call myself the most reliable reserves watcher.

It was wet, cold and generally unpleasant. Our academy players - I assume that's what they were - struggled quite a bit. As did some of our seniors, unfortunately. Once the sun came out in the second half we were much better. Canberra weren't much chop either, really, and wasted a lot of good chances. Their backline was well on top of our forwardline for most of the game, although that probably had more to do with the quality of our forward entries.

Bastinac clearly best on ground. Played as an inside mid and was by far the dominant player at the contest, and the reason we were ever competitive at all. He has certainly learnt how to read Archie's ruckwork over their time together in the NEAFL. He did have a tendency to kick without looking, but that's understandable on a wet day when you're always getting the ball under pressure.

Allison probably the next most impressive. He seemed to be playing quite deep in the backline, often as the extra, and was our most penetrating ball user, particularly in the first half. He also did some good things defensively, which was pleasing. Probably has the best case to get promoted on the strength of today's game.

Lyons is one I'm very tempted to check the stat sheet on before I say anything. He played as a full time midfielder and always seemed to be around the ball, but apart from a couple of clearances and tackles I can't remember too much specific that he did. On a day when it was hard to consistently use the ball well not standing out for making too many bad errors might be a plus, though.

Dawson had an interesting game. Started down back and didn't look particularly comfortable, making a bad early error to give up a goal. He settled after that, and then at half time he was switched forward and made much more of an impact, pushing up the ground to provide an option bringing the ball out of the backline that we sorely needed. I'm not sure he'll ever play that role in the seniors though so possibly not a lot to take from today.

Smith and Walker dominated in the ruck, but both struggled for the most part up forward. Walker probably had more of a presence around the ground, particularly in the first half when he seemed to be playing as a roaming centre half forward, but having these guys as our major forward targets - along with some poor academy player (Kenneally I think?) who was frequently one out inside 50 - was a problem on a wet day.

Bell started well, and then picked up a knock to the thigh (I think), spent about twenty minutes on the sidelines trying and failing to run it off and was taken off for the last three quarters. Not sure what it was, but it didn't look too bad.

Hinge was mostly solid defensively but his ball use was problematic. I think at times he was pushed up the ground a bit but didn't seem to have much impact then..

Mathieson was busy. Made a lot of mistakes in the first half but recovered well in the second. He spent some in the forwardline and kicked two goals. All in all I'd be surprised if this game was enough to put him back into senior contention, particularly when he's one of the few players you'd expect to enjoy these conditions.

Paparone really struggled. He played on the wing and spent some time in defence. He made a few mistakes and got beaten one on one a few times in situations he really shouldn't have been beaten. Not his type of game.

Frost did pretty well at the back. Canberra mostly scored from turnovers or counterattacks, but then they don't exactly have a dominant full forward, and it was a tough day to mark anyway.

Now call me crazy, but I am fairly sure Bewick was one of our runners. I do not know why this was, but unless he has a doppelganger he was running around in pink giving instructions.

EDIT: I forgot about Starcevich. He spent some time in the midfield and some forward but didn't impose himself in either position.
Thanks for these very helpful insights mate.Sounds like some were carried by the better players earlier in the year and may have put the cue in the rack.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Thanks for these very helpful insights mate.Sounds like some were carried by the better players earlier in the year and may have put the cue in the rack.
Only 11 listed players for most of game makes it hard. The kids try, but it's hard to compete against men and our best kids were playing for the Allies.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin

Good to hear Allison's been given a role that allows him to work on his defensive side, he was all over the shop in that regard in the seniors.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
From Neafl site: Best Players: J. Kennealy, T. Matthews, R. Bastinac, R. Mathieson, M. Hinge, C. Franks

Got nothing against our top-ups, but puzzled how Keneally with 6 disposals can be our best player. Matthews with 19 and 101 DT points deserves to be there, but wonder who is doing these NEAFL bests and how they're decided. They don't square well with Ironmonger's report. Anyway....

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
From Neafl site: Best Players: J. Kennealy, T. Matthews, R. Bastinac, R. Mathieson, M. Hinge, C. Franks

Got nothing against our top-ups, but puzzled how Keneally with 6 disposals can be our best player. Matthews with 19 and 101 DT points deserves to be there, but wonder who is doing these NEAFL bests and how they're decided. They don't square well with Ironmonger's report. Anyway....
I don't take much notice of listed bests in the NEAFL, I've been live to a few games over the years and it seems to me that they just pluck some of the names out of a hat.

Yeah, that list is a bit different to how I saw it. Kennealy - I think that's number 50 - played one out full forward all day and didn't manage a goal. He had a really tough job but struggled; I don't remember him winning a one-on-one. Matthews did a couple of nice things, but I wouldn't have thought he was our second. It can be difficult to track what the top ups are doing though.

Allison clearly among our best.

There's another report on the AFL website saying Mathieson was the standout. I can only assume that's directly ripped from the stat sheet because he had some ordinary moments in the first half and still has things to work on.

Last edited:
Not sure if you guys saw this, but NEAFL are making all match replays available, even if they weren't lived streamed. Only thing is they have no commentary, which some might say is an added bonus!

Full replay of the Canberra - Brisbane game

QmOCDdL.png

RLMO4Dr.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back