2018 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where would we find the stats?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is all that i can find so far.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-25/around-the-state-leagues-whos-starring-for-your-club

BRISBANE
State league affiliate: Brisbane (NEAFL)
This weekend: Wilston Grange v Brisbane - Saturday, March 24, 12pm, Bendigo Bank Oval

Athletic utility Tom Cutler bagged eight goals as a high half-forward in a landslide win in a NEAFL practice match against Wilston Grange on Saturday.

But rookie-listed midfielder Jake Barrett, captain for the day, was best afield, leading from the front with his contested-ball work.

The Lions’ runners enjoyed a day out, with first-round draft pick Zac Bailey showing great composure and the experienced Rohan Bewick playing selflessly to create numerous goals.

Not sure what value we get out of a game like that. Were all the NEAFL sides otherwise committed?
As far as I have worked out we could have played Southport ... who have played Aspley & Redland, but not us or the Suns. We've already played Aspley and play the Suns next week... No idea why we didn't. Also would have be worth trying to get a game against Sydney uni, even if it meant travelling, as they seem to be the best of the non AFL sides and beat the Giants twos on the weekend.

Fagan's preference is definitely to play one ruckman, at least at this stage of our development.

If this is the case we must look at oscar. Having said that fagan did say its not about wins or losses.I agree and say at this stage ,it is all about fast tracking our development. The young ones in the team need games under the belt ,so as to reap the rewards hopefully in the not to distant future. I say play both now. Then trade stef at the end of this year while he still has currency. Let Oscar do his apprenticeship now with stef there to guide him.Then if Oscar proves himself , he is our no 1 ruck for 2019. Stef has had a great career with us ,deserves high praise and as others have said really stepped up to the plate. It is now time for him to prepare to pass the baton, onto the nex generation of lion.

Last edited:
If this is the case we must look at oscar. Having said that fagan did say its not about wins or losses.I agree and say at this stage ,it is all about fast tracking our development. The young ones in the team need games under the belt ,so as to reap the rewards hopefully in the not to distant future. I say play both now. Then trade stef at the end of this year while he still has currency. Let Oscar do his apprenticeship now with stef there to guide him.Then if Oscar proves himself , he is our no 1 ruck for 2019. Stef has had a great career with us ,deserves high praise and as others have said really stepped up to the plate. It is now time for him to prepare to pass the baton, onto the nex generation of lion.
Just getting games into them at the expense of playing competitive football is gonna hinder us rather than help the young guys. It's not as if they get to 50 games and suddenly they are great, otherwise the Melbourne regime would have worked well but it was terrible. We need to keep a good balance of young and old so as to win as many games as possible, get their confidence up and allow them the opportunity to play good games without them dropping their heads because they know they dont have the experience on the park to compete for any length of period.

Just getting games into them at the expense of playing competitive football is gonna hinder us rather than help the young guys. It's not as if they get to 50 games and suddenly they are great, otherwise the Melbourne regime would have worked well but it was terrible. We need to keep a good balance of young and old so as to win as many games as possible, get their confidence up and allow them the opportunity to play good games without them dropping their heads because they know they dont have the experience on the park to compete for any length of period.

Let’s look at the facts and the hard cold reality of the situation.
Stefan age 31 currently, will turn 32 latter this year

Currency if he plays well ,which I have no doubt he will ,barring injury. Trade value may still be high despite age for a club still in the hunt for finals in 2019 and r looking at Stefan as a need for short term gain to make it or simply another tall as a safeguard,a safety net.Therefore these clubs may be willing to pay overs. I say if we get an offer that is beneficial to us ,we must act ( in the year of a super draft) anything less is an act of stupidity.

At some point in time ,there has to be a transition phase. Whether we like it or not ,it is reality.With age now a factor ,that transition phase ,I say must commence this year.
Throwing Oscar under the bus, absolutely no way. Oscar needs as much game time now while Stefan is still around ,1st to act as a mentor/ Role model to Oscar ,especially while stefan is still on top of his game.If we wait I say it will be a missed opportunity to not only get a good outcome for the club in terms of a good draft pick but also through game time rotations, Oscar ,actually gets much needed experience with Stefan by his side ,showing him the ropes,while also fast tracking his development.

We are still a while away from playing finals ,so my expectations are realistic.We may still be down the bottom this year. I have not seen any signs whatsoever of the young players dropping their heads as you describe.In fact quite the opposite. Example in point. Berry, Rayner ,cluggs ,cameron as a small sample displayed immense character and enthusiasm even though they are playing in a bottom side. In terms of Berry ,his attitude,the way I saw him play last wekend tells me one thing, adversity will not shake his resolve or his desire to win or at being the best he can be.Such maturity in a young player who knows we will struggle , yet still gives his all is mighty impressive. The players are not fools and know they may get beaten at times but like the club ,they r looking at the bigger picture ,the long game and thats why the majority have signed extensions. They know if they show resolve now ,hang tough ,then wins in the future will come a lot easier, than they do now.They are Realist.

Melbourne simply recruited badly ,so is a bad comparison ,as our current attempt to rebuild under Fagan and Noble has been far ,far better than Melbourne’s.

We will still have the likes of Beams ,Zorks,Robinson,Hodge ,and others to be that reassuring hand to the youngsters. one player leaving does not necessarily mean the stack of cards falls down. I believe we r far better in that mental space ( their mental toughness)than u r suggesting or giving the youngsters credit for.

Last edited:

Currency if he plays well ,which I have no doubt he will ,barring injury. Trade value may still be high despite age for a club still in the hunt for finals in 2019 and r looking at Stefan as a need for short term gain to make it or simply another tall as a safeguard,a safety net.Therefore these clubs may be willing to pay overs. I say if we get an offer that is beneficial to us ,we must act ( in the year of a super draft) anything less is an act of stupidity.

At some point in time ,there has to be a transition phase. Whether we like it or not ,it is reality.With age now a factor ,that transition phase ,I say must commence this year.
Throwing Oscar under the bus, absolutely no way. Oscar needs as much game time now while Stefan is still around ,1st to act as a mentor/ Role model to Oscar ,especially while stefan is still on top of his game.If we wait I say it will be a missed opportunity to not only get a good outcome for the club in terms of a good draft pick but also through game time rotations, Oscar ,actually gets much needed experience with Stefan by his side ,showing him the ropes,while also fast tracking his development.

We are still a while away from playing finals ,so my expectations are realistic.We may still be down the bottom this year. I have not seen any signs whatsoever of the young players dropping their heads as you describe. Example in point. Berry, Rayner ,cluggs ,cameron as a small sample displayed immense character and enthusiasm even though they are playing in a bottom side. In terms of Berry ,his attitude,the way I saw him play last wekend tells me one thing, adversity will not shake his resolve or his desire to win or at being the best he can be.Such maturity in a young player who knows we will struggle , yet still gives his all is mighty impressive. The players are not fools and know they may get beaten at times but like the club ,they r looking at the bigger picture ,the long game and thats why the majority have signed extensions. They know if they show resolve now ,hang tough ,then wins in the future will come a lot easier, than they do now.They are Realist.

Melbourne simply recruited badly ,so is a bad comparison ,as our current attempt to rebuild under Fagan and Noble has been far ,far better than Melbourne’s.

We will still have the likes of Beams ,Zorks,Robinson,Hodge ,and others to be that reassuring hand to the youngsters. one player leaving does not necessarily mean the stack of cards falls down. I believe we r far better in that mental space than u r suggesting or giving the youngsters credit for.
Saints could do with Stef.

Saints could do with Stef.

They have longer and hickey don’t they.from what i hear Sydney possibly Richmond are the most likely if anything were to happen. See your point though, that mentor role model type to help longer. I personally doubt it though. But anything is possible.

Last edited:

We are still a while away from playing finals ,so my expectations are realistic.We may still be down the bottom this year. I have not seen any signs whatsoever of the young players dropping their heads as you describe.In fact quite the opposite. Example in point. Berry, Rayner ,cluggs ,cameron as a small sample displayed immense character and enthusiasm even though they are playing in a bottom side. In terms of Berry ,his attitude,the way I saw him play last wekend tells me one thing, adversity will not shake his resolve or his desire to win or at being the best he can be.Such maturity in a young player who knows we will struggle , yet still gives his all is mighty impressive. The players are not fools and know they may get beaten at times but like the club ,they r looking at the bigger picture ,the long game and thats why the majority have signed extensions. They know if they show resolve now ,hang tough ,then wins in the future will come a lot easier, than they do now.They are Realist.

We will still have the likes of Beams ,Zorks,Robinson,Hodge ,and others to be that reassuring hand to the youngsters. one player leaving does not necessarily mean the stack of cards falls down. I believe we r far better in that mental space ( their mental toughness)than u r suggesting or giving the youngsters credit for.
I didn't see they were dropping their heads now. I was saying if we drop experienced guys for debutants or more inexperience and change that good balance that we have now then it is more likely we will lose by big margins which is what Melbourne did (They got rid of all there experience). It's all well and good to say put Oscar in but he has to come in for somebody. We already have a lot of young guys out there now, we don't need more. What we do need is wins on the board for the supporters and the players. If players keep losing in the next 3 years like they have been then l would not be surprised if they left after the extension they just signed. They need to see some upward trajectory which they have last year compared to previous years, which is why they are happy. However, if we go back to inexperience over the field then the trajectory will fall, hence the heads too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have longer and hickey don’t they.from what i hear Sydney possibly Richmond are the most likely if anything were to happen. See your point though, that mentor role model type to help longer. I personally doubt it though. But anything is possible.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's Longer's last season in the AFL.

I didn't see they were dropping their heads now. I was saying if we drop experienced guys for debutants or more inexperience and change that good balance that we have now then it is more likely we will lose by big margins which is what Melbourne did (They got rid of all there experience). It's all well and good to say put Oscar in but he has to come in for somebody. We already have a lot of young guys out there now, we don't need more. What we do need is wins on the board for the supporters and the players. If players keep losing in the next 3 years like they have been then l would not be surprised if they left after the extension they just signed. They need to see some upward trajectory which they have last year compared to previous years, which is why they are happy. However, if we go back to inexperience over the field then the trajectory will fall, hence the heads too

Have Faith. Remember, I stated before (in my post previously ) it is only one change at this stage.There will still be the fan favs,Beams Zorks,Hodge etc. Stef is the one and only one at this point that I am looking at.We need based on Stef’s age , to start sorting out a long term replacement going forward. I would be looking to trade him at the end of the season. Rotation of rucks through the bench or FF. The one thats makes way for Oscar ,if u ask me, it would be walker if he is injured initially,I know if he has issues in the groin area he may need to rest up.Beyond that , let me look at the team and see how it performances against Melbourne before I give you an answer.

I personally don’t want to look to far ahead, i.e. at 3 years from now. Let’s worry about the here and now. Games now in the young ones ( which is already happening) will determine how successful we are in 3 years from now. I get your concerns.
How the side looks in 3 years from now with incoming talent should and probably will look vastly different compared to what it is today. My biggest wish (while we are still at the fragile stage of our development) is that we maintain the stability of Fagan, Noble etc.. If the players see the stability there ,coupled with our recruiting and hopefully good key FA signings or good uncontraced signings,it will reinforce in them ,to stay the course and keep the faith. It will be a sign to them that we are heading in the right direction and are true to the outcomes we are seeking. I believe and have faith that 3 years from now ,we will have forged a formidable group .

Have Faith. Remember, I stated before (in my post previously ) it is only one change at this stage.There will still be the fan favs,Beams Zorks,Hodge etc. Stef is the one and only one at this point that I am looking at.We need based on Stef’s age , to start sorting out a long term replacement going forward. I would be looking to trade him at the end of the season. Rotation of rucks through the bench or FF. The one thats makes way for Oscar ,if u ask me, it would be walker if he is injured initially,I know if he has issues in the groin area he may need to rest up.Beyond that , let me look at the team and see how it performances against Melbourne before I give you an answer.

I personally don’t want to look to far ahead, i.e. at 3 years from now. Let’s worry about the here and now. Games now in the young ones ( which is already happening) will determine how successful we are in 3 years from now. I get your concerns.
How the side looks in 3 years from now with incoming talent should and probably will look vastly different compared to what it is today. My biggest wish (while we are still at the fragile stage of our development) is that we maintain the stability of Fagan, Noble etc.. If the players see the stability there ,coupled with our recruiting and hopefully good key FA signings or good uncontraced signings,it will reinforce in them ,to stay the course and keep the faith. It will be a sign to them that we are heading in the right direction and are true to the outcomes we are seeking. I believe and have faith that 3 years from now ,we will have forged a formidable group .
Martin's trade value at the end of this season will be modest at best, for the very reason you gave - his age. Certainly not something that will enable us to rise significantly in the "superdraft" as you term it. I'm sure the club and he looked at separating a year or so back but both have stayed the course. Trading Stef at year's end may happen but it is not going to significantly hasten our progress as a team. Oscar will get a run this year, barring injury. Meanwhile he is still developing his game. We have been in the transition or building phase for several years, but it only really started in earnest last year with Fagan and Noble on board. It has some years to run yet. And it may not be complete before Beams and Zorko retire. That's just the way it is. But others will have taken their place. Whether they will be good enough remains to be seen. As you say, have faith.

Southport big win over Canberra today. Josh Clayton and Tyler Roos, (Paul's son) named in best players. Looks like they have recruited well and will be decent opposition.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's Longer's last season in the AFL.

I'm not just doing this because it's fun to knock a guy that walked out on us but.....

.....what is Longer actually good for?

I mean, he does next to nothing around the ground and apart from that, does he actually ever dominate the ruck?

I'm not just doing this because it's fun to knock a guy that walked out on us but.....

.....what is Longer actually good for?

Absolutely nothing, just like the original title for War and Peace being "War: What is it good for?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back