2018 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Starc doesn’t get a lot of it but he’s the only player whose class stood out to me. Sees the game well in traffic. Maybe Wooller too. Ballenden dropped a couple he could’ve marked but I thought he went alright in the circumstances. Seems to have the yips though.

Cox is clean off the ground but geez he misses some targets.

Correct he just hasn’t come on this year, kicking not up to scratch and not strong in the hands, I honestly saw something in Archie 18 months ago, but I struggle to see positives anymore there, when you give frees away you must learn straight away as that umpire won’t tolerate it, but he kept continuing to do it that’s a problem

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Archie has been passed by the big O like he's standing still, I'd be very surprised if he's going to make it. He still has 2 more years on his contract though.

I think Archie’s marking has improved but still has a long way to go

Surprised to hear people say Wooller is too short. Stands at 194cm. That's enough, if he has the ability, to play as a second and certainly a third tall.
Browny was only 195cms!
And a lot of teams have gone shorter in recent times.
Jack Riewoldt is 193cms!

He is fine and watch out next year this kid has something and glad we have him

Yep and a lot are complaining about our forwards not having enough work rate and leading up to the ball. Which is exactly the type of player he is.
Consistently getting 20 odd possessions in the 2’s.
I think that he has the potential to compliment our forward line perfectly.

Surprised to hear people say Wooller is too short. Stands at 194cm. That's enough, if he has the ability, to play as a second and certainly a third tall.
I agree WLF he's right in the sweet spot.

Jack Riewoldt 195cm
Jack Darling 191cm
Jeremy Cameron 196cm
Jesse Hogan 195cm
Jarryd Roughead 193cm
Charlie Curnow 194cm

Ugh here we go. 1 or 2 say he’s short and then at least 5 come out saying it’s not an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my viewpoint, the most disappointing thing to come out of this game was Archie Smith's performance.

With a couple of years under the belt and pretty solid experience by now, he should wipe the board with a local club ruck. We should start with a definite advantage.

The reality was he was simply brushed aside by a bigger, better skilled and more determined bloke.

Doesn't say much for Archie's future. He should be our ruck in waiting, ready to rock and roll given the opportunity.

Not happening, unfortunately.

From my viewpoint, the most disappointing thing to come out of this game was Archie Smith's performance.

With a couple of years under the belt and pretty solid experience by now, he should wipe the board with a local club ruck. We should start with a definite advantage.

The reality was he was simply brushed aside by a bigger, better skilled and more determined bloke.

Doesn't say much for Archie's future. He should be our ruck in waiting, ready to rock and roll given the opportunity.

To be fair (and I still thought Archie was poor) his “local club” opponent had played more AFL footy than him.

Its not about physical HEIGHT its about physical PRESENCE.

Brown had a PRESENCE that demanded respect from players taller than him. Other players his height dont always have that, and make up for it by using other attributes.

I'd agree with that though 200cm defenders weren't really a thing in Browny's day. A lot of times the defenders were smaller than the forwards and had to get by with their superior defensive skills. Rutten was only 192 but made Browny his bitch every time they met.
It'd be interesting to see how Brown would fare against a defender like Harris. I'd actually pay to see that if it were possible.

I'd agree with that though 200cm defenders weren't really a thing in Browny's day. A lot of times the defenders were smaller than the forwards and had to get by with their superior defensive skills. Rutten was only 192 but made Browny his bitch every time they met.
It'd be interesting to see how Brown would fare against a defender like Harris. I'd actually pay to see that if it were possible.

Closest comparable to Brown right now? Kind of hard really, maybe Tom Hawkins? Ben Brown isnt really the same, hes probably more agile than Browny ever was.

giphy.gif

Closest comparable to Brown right now? Kind of hard really, maybe Tom Hawkins? Ben Brown isnt really the same, hes probably more agile than Browny ever was.

Browny extremely smart footballer and one of the best field and goal kicks we've had. Much better runner than Hawkins too. Don't really see much similarities in the way he played to Brown but I guess there's not really a close comparison currently playing. Game has changed a lot in just under ten years.

Spot On

Remove this Banner Ad

Back