2018 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooller presented well and was the only real target up forward. However, he needs to working on his kicking for goal. Showed promise.

Ballenden took a couple decent pack marks and is a nice kick but needs to work harder in games. - work in progress.

Sam Skinner took some nice pack marks yesterday. Kicking and decision making was a bit dodgy. The more games he gets into his body the more confident he will get. Skinner is one I am hoping can crack into the seniors and play down back. Heaps of talent.

Allison and Cox flash in and out of games - both have a heap of ability, pace to burn and nice kicks but they still don't impact games enough. We need one of them to take the next step into the seniors as we need run out of the back line. I get the feeling both probably need another year of solid NEAFL footy before they become regulars.

Keays and Lyons worked tirelessly yesterday and although both need to sharpen up on disposal they at least had good years based on work ethic. At this stage they seem depth players who when required will come in and fill a role. Every club needs these kind of players.

Starcevich is an interesting one. Does nice things when he has the ball but he doesn't get it much. I know he played the last few games in the seniors but for me at this stage he seems well down the pecking order and needs at least another solid year in the NEAFL. Maybe Freo bait for Neale?

Mayes I have said before not sure what's happening with him? Played alright yesterday but seems to drift in and out and lacks confidence or doesn't work hard enough. If he stays needs a massive pre season and identify his role for the club.

Barrett works hard in traffic and great tackler but really doesn't have many offensive qualities. Another depth player at best.

Archie Smith was very underwhelming and Spencer outwitted him yesterday.

Bastinac - Beams - Bewick - Bell - Dawson are all done. Frost should really be as well.

The kid Coleman showed some nice touches but would be a mile away from AFL.

Trading Starc is premature as *. Bloke is 18 and already shows that bullet time class. He already has a big frame. He can already stick tackles on bigger blokes and has sublime disposal thanks to his classy decision making. Give him 2 full preseason and he will become a monster contested beast in the middle. Trading him for Neale will be one we will regret.

I don’t recall what his stats were like at reserves level but Berry took 15 games at senior level to get 20 touches in a game. Productivity is not necessarily that important for a young bloke. Starc is showing heaps and, right now, he’s well ahead of where we need him to be.

Part of me likes the possibility of Skinner as a tall forward rather than a defender. Has real aggression and a presence about him that Hipwood and McStay are somewhat lacking in.
The way he reads the flight of the footy coming in to defence is pretty exciting though. I don’t know he’s got the explosive speed to get separation as a forward but he can read the game behind play and react quickly to what’s happening up field. It is a very nice skill to have.

Just watched the SANFL final between North and South Adelaide. Standard is light years ahead of NEAFL. The sooner a national reserves comp happens the better - for us.
Any performances of note Mr Rip?

Only watching on phone so couldn’t really make out individuals - not familiar with anyone to begin with anyway. Some of the marking was beautiful.
Would be hard watching a game on your phone Rip.

9812-nokia-ci_xlarge.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading Starc is premature as ****. Bloke is 18 and already shows that bullet time class. He already has a big frame. He can already stick tackles on bigger blokes and has sublime disposal thanks to his classy decision making. Give him 2 full preseason and he will become a monster contested beast in the middle. Trading him for Neale will be one we will regret.

Look at sier for the pies, he was criticised heaps whilst learning his craft in the ressies. Eventually it all came together. Starc will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back