List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brander is there at 11 I would take him, I dont see the next wave of KPP on the list like we do have with the mids. The worry for me is guys hitting FA in the next couple of years and getting some ridiculous offers thrown at them. I think it will be impossible to keep the list together and he would be good insurance to cover for that.

If Brander is there at 11 I would take him, I dont see the next wave of KPP on the list like we do have with the mids. The worry for me is guys hitting FA in the next couple of years and getting some ridiculous offers thrown at them. I think it will be impossible to keep the list together and he would be good insurance to cover for that.

Guess it all depends if we are looking at pick 11 as a safety option for later, or for the now while we are chasing a flag. Also given next years draft is said to be a strong one for talls maybe now is not time for a tall at pick 11. But if we really want to add to our tall stock maybe Sam Hayes who knows his going take a while to develop and will have to do the hard yards first and should still be on the board when we are selecting in the 2nd round.

Adam Tomlinson was being interviewed on Fox Sports about Movember and the reporter then moved onto other things, but this was an interesting exchange in the middle of the interview. I thought you might enjoy what he had to say...

Reporter: You signed on earlier in the year until 2019. How serious was the interest from St Kilda during the trade period?

Tomlinson: (laughs) Well my name gets thrown up every trade period, so, um, I was away for a lot of the time and sort of didn’t really pay that much attention to it. I mean, nothing was ever formally put in front of me and I love Sydney and I love the Giants and the way we’ve gone in the last couple of years is sort of the perfect foundation for where we can go in the next couple of years.

Reporter: Given you were coming off such a good finals series, you had a really great year, you’d just signed a new contract, you’re really settled, with your girlfriend, did it feel like it just wasn’t the right time for St Kilda to come at you?

Tomlinson: I’ve got my life in Sydney, I’ve been there 6 years now, and if you’d told me I was going to be there for 6 years at the very start I probably would have laughed in your face, but I mean it’s really changed who I am now and I actually really do love being in Sydney, so yeah...

Reporter: Adam, so many players are using the “go home factor” these days whether it’s back to Victoria or WA or South Australia, is that a card you’d ever feel like you’d play in your career?

Tomlinson: No, I don’t feel as if the go home factor is a card to use, because I just feel that the more effort you put into wherever you live the more enjoyment you get out of it, and especially in Sydney, Sydney’s massive and there’s so much you can do every day, so it’s sort of not a card I would use or I have or thought about using because I really do enjoy Sydney, so...

Reporter: For those that don’t know, your girlfriend is a high jumper for Australia,....

And then they went off and talked about the commonwealth games coming up and how she’s preparing for it.

I think today was a cutoff for one of the delisted free agent periods and nothing on Suban so is it a chance he could be picked in one of the upcoming drafts?
I understand the reason to pick someone up in the rookie draft but was MDB a delisted free agent last year? And I thought you had to nominate for the draft?

Hi everyone

Pardon the intrusion but I come with a draft related question and would love some thoughts from GWS fans and viewers of future Academy players alike.

Feel free to point me in the right direction if the question has been asked before, BUT I've proposed an academy bid on Nick Shipley in the 3rd round of my phantom draft, I won't say which pick number or which team to rule out any bias but will preface it by saying they will be looking for midfielders in the draft.

Do you think a 3rd round bid on Shipley would be matched or would the Giants let him go?

Hi everyone

Pardon the intrusion but I come with a draft related question and would love some thoughts from GWS fans and viewers of future Academy players alike.

Feel free to point me in the right direction if the question has been asked before, BUT I've proposed an academy bid on Nick Shipley in the 3rd round of my phantom draft, I won't say which pick number or which team to rule out any bias but will preface it by saying they will be looking for midfielders in the draft.

Do you think a 3rd round bid on Shipley would be matched or would the Giants let him go?
We will match a 3rd round bid.

Easily

Would probably match any bid almost anywhere given he would be the first academy graduate from actual western Sydney to come through to the main draft (though I still have hopes we’ll rookie C O-A, which would make it 2)

We will match a 3rd round bid.

Appreciate the input. Was anticipating a bid match but wanted more opinions.

I guess with Matt Kennedy off to the Blues and Shipley’s strength being contested ball he becomes a numerical replacement for Kennedy and has more youth on his side than say a Ryan Griffen.

I think you'll find it pretty unanimous on matching for Nick Shipley for the reasons previously stated - first western Sydney grad.

Depending on how picks get shuffled around by earlier matching bids on academy & F/S, a bid from about #43 is covered by pick #57 and a bid from #38 is matched by #57 + #65, so those are no brainer matches IMHO. Anywhere earlier would require going into 2018 deficit, but I can't see a bid earlier than about 35 anyway so I reckon GWS would suck that up due to the historical nature of the kid. And my personal view is that Matt Kennedy was allowed to leave because Shipley was coming through - a big bodied inside mid who can go forward, but has a bit more speed than Bam Bam. Cheers!

Last edited:
Pardon a bit of ignorance
We have 7 list spots available i think, can that be 5 contracted and 2 rookie or any combination within. Do we have to fill all spots?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon a bit of ignorance
We have 7 list spots available i think, can that be 5 contracted and 2 rookie or any combination within. Do we have to fill all spots?

Pretty much the case as clubs can have a primary list of 38, 39 or 40 players and depending on that clubs can then have between 4 and 6 rookies, and there can also be an additional 3 category B rookies and on that its worth remembering that we already have Sproule and Stein in that category of local talent so we can still add one more local kid as a cat B rookie.

So I would be guessing that we go with a primary list of 38 again - so perhaps 4 new draftees and given Lloyd got a 2 year deal this year he may get promoted off the rookie list. Then for the rookie draft redraft Reid, a young kid, perhaps look at Suban and use the last Cat B spot for a local kid.

Last edited:
Pretty much the case as clubs can have a primary list of 38, 39 or 40 players and depending on that clubs can then have between 4 and 6 rookies, and there can also be an additional 3 category B rookies and on that its worth remembering that we already have Sproule and Stein in that category of local talent so we can still add one more local kid as a cat B rookie.

So I would be guessing that we go with a primary list of 38 again - so perhaps 4 new draftees and given Lloyd got a 2 year deal this year he may get promoted off the rookie list. Then for the rookie draft redraft Reid, a young kid, perhaps look at Suban and use the last Cat B spot for a local kid.
I would personally prefer to take a shot with Myers over Suban but mature depth can be handy

The immediate cutting off its suggestions concern about conflictofintetest at least. Contrasts with Sylvagni leaving. No movementbetween us and the Suns but maybe some suggestion?

Unbelievable the AFL let this happen between their own clubs?? I mean honestly they have to give he ok to these decisions and didn’t think this could cause a problem?

Didn’t like him before his appointment as he was linked with one of the most disgraceful events in the horse racing industry we have seen and was basically a witches hat to incredible corruption around him.

Thought his drafting strategies were ok, got what we needed last year and I think Taranto is potentially better than McLuggage on what we have seen and most of us didn’t think that at the time.

This year he got us into the first round in a good spot and negotiated the departures of Smith, Wilson and Kennedy for market value.

He leaves with all our IP not only for this years draft but also next years superdraft. The timing makes you wonder if his mind was unfettered during trade week.

Campbell is an experienced operator and with Caruso and Quayle will be able to get through this draft but we need to really get a gun in for next year to lead the ship, perhaps a fresh of mind Chris Pelchen??

No more Richmond mates either, just best available please.

Last edited:
Unbelievable the AFL let this happen between their own clubs?? I mean honestly they have to give he ok to these decisions and didn’t think this could cause a problem?

Didn’t like him before his appointment as he was linked with one of the most disgraceful events in the horse racing industry we have seen and was basically a witches hat to incredible corruption around him.

Thought his drafting strategies were ok, got what we needed last year and I think Taranto is potentially better than McLuggage on what we have seen and most of us didn’t think that at the time.

This year he got us into the first round in a good spot and negotiated the departures of Smith, Wilson and Kennedy for market value.

He leaves with all our IP not only for this years draft but also next years superdraft. The timing makes you wonder if his mind was unfettered during trade week.

Campbell is an experienced operator and with Caruso and Quayle will be able to get through this draft but we need to really get a gun in for next year to lead the ship, perhaps a fresh of mind Chris Pelchen??

No more Richmond mates either, just best available please.

Definitely a black hat

Ok sleuths, where is she? The car belonged to a co-worker, an interstate trip surely would of involved flying/rental car. There is a fair bit of patchy coverage between Sydney and Wentworth/Mildura area....
Actually I've driven the barrier highway many times and it's no coverage all the way pretty much north of the Murray.. would be many other dead zones around the Riverina though I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back