List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a work of fiction at all, but I did some checking and it appears there might be (more than probably is) a case of mistaken identity.

You’re Bont2Boyd - there is another poster out there called Bonts2Boyd who has been active on the MB more recently. Seems I missed the little s tucked up in the middle of the username.

Mea Culpa

Please accept my apologies.
Nah. You were right the 1st time.

Same pathetic sad mutt.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nah. You were right the 1st time.

Same pathetic sad mutt.

I think you will find that it is as IN said, I know Bont2Boyd , he is as willing as anyone to engage in spirited debate, but isn't a s**t stirring idiot as some similarly named posters could be described.

I think you will find that it is as IN said, I know Bont2Boyd , he is as willing as anyone to engage in spirited debate, but isn't a s**t stirring idiot as some similarly named posters could be described.
He might not be the one IN thought but S'less Bont is just as much a sliver of toejam as their main antagonists.

The Roar’s analysis of our drafting this year...

GWS Giants

National draft
11: Aiden Bonar
27: Brent Daniels
28: Sam Taylor
56: Zac Giles Langdon
64: Nick Shipley

Rookie draft
15: Dylan Buckley
29: Sam J Reid

Like Gold Coast, this is the first year GWS hasn’t had a top ten pick, but despite that it did very well with its selections, both addressing needs and bringing in some talented players.
The club had targeted Bonar from a long way out, and he definitely adds something different to the club’s list. I can’t wait to see him in the same midfield as Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield, Tim Taranto and Josh Kelly next year.

Daniels addressed a hole in the club’s list in the small forward position, while Taylor adds key defensive depth, something else the club has been searching for.
Langdon is a mature-aged player, which the Giants have shown a liking for in recent years, while Shipley is the club’s first NSW born-and-bred academy player.

Missed it by that much:rolleyes:

So close, so very close.

Oh well.

Just an observation I’d like to share and I will probably be howled down by the PC brigade but whatever.

I noticed at the draft that Leon has put on a fairly significant amount of weight.

Now the coach doesn’t play and there are plenty of good coaches the world around that are not in peak condition however for an ex player in his 40’s to let himself go like that I think sends a poor message to the group.

For mine he needs to address this and get himself back racing fit as he will be setting the tone to the group as to what he expects.

For time poor people and blokes with young families it is very easy to put on some kegs and he is not a sumo, but I was just a bit disappointed to see he had not kept himself in good shape.

Ultimately he won’t be chasing down blokes and won’t have to give 2nd efforts but he is the Commander, he sets he standard. If he doesn’t have the self discipline to keep himself in peak condition can he expect his players to do all the right things as well?

It’s not a major thing but it tells you about the person. Is he really committed to make the sacrifices he expects of his men??

Just an observation.

Just an observation I’d like to share and I will probably be howled down by the PC brigade but whatever.

I noticed at the draft that Leon has put on a fairly significant amount of weight.

Now the coach doesn’t play and there are plenty of good coaches the world around that are not in peak condition however for an ex player in his 40’s to let himself go like that I think sends a poor message to the group.

For mine he needs to address this and get himself back racing fit as he will be setting the tone to the group as to what he expects.

For time poor people and blokes with young families it is very easy to put on some kegs and he is not a sumo, but I was just a bit disappointed to see he had not kept himself in good shape.

Ultimately he won’t be chasing down blokes and won’t have to give 2nd efforts but he is the Commander, he sets he standard. If he doesn’t have the self discipline to keep himself in peak condition can he expect his players to do all the right things as well?

It’s not a major thing but it tells you about the person. Is he really committed to make the sacrifices he expects of his men??

Just an observation.
Fair point.

But willing to give him till round 1 to get into condition.

Listening to Leon the other day it sounds like he would like

Just an observation.

Don't think so, and at most his got a slight gut
Draftees2017-Slider.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember reading a couple of coaches' memoirs and it basically commented on how the job ends up taking up all their time, just to try and stay ahead of the curve. Things like exercise and the like often went by the wayside.

He seems like he’s lamb mk 2 for us

Actually reckon D Buckley is quicker than Lamb but doesn't get enough of the ball and not a good user except when he kicks long. He may be useful for you as a small forward in the Richmond mould who doesn't have to kick goals, just apply pressure. I guess that's why he was picked up.

Sounds like Richards will play Neafl next year, and will most likely be a top up for us during '18. So in a way he is like having a young developing ruck with us without costing us list space or $$. Would also expect him to play with our academy as an overager next year.
Richards moved to Sydney this season with the help of the Giants but struggled with injuries. “I had my fingers crossed on Friday, but I hadn’t played that many games this season so I wasn’t super confident… I hadn’t had much of a chance to impress the talent scouts,” he said... ““If it doesn’t work out on Monday, I have a Plan B… I'll look to play in the NEAFL”
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/s...t-overlooked-in-draft-disappointment/?cs=2375

Last edited:

Just an observation.
Not really an excuse as there's lots of ways to stay fit but hasn't he had problems with his knees.

Not really an excuse as there's lots of ways to stay fit but hasn't he had problems with his knees.

Could be, he gets around like he’s been sentenced to conjugal visits at Long Bay.

These are just 1%’s that cumulatively make a difference. Look at the benchmark Clarkson, look at Scott and Pyke. There are also plenty of fit coaches coaching rubbish teams but I think it points to standards and culture. If I expect you not to cut corners and make excuses than neither will I. 100% buy in.

Only just saw this but its Jack Powell pre-draft which maybe sheds some light on things.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...impresses-at-afl-combine-20171013-gz0alu.html

Canberra teenager Jack Powell spoke to three clubs at the AFL combine last week but the Ainslie premiership player admits he only grew up dreaming of playing for one of them.

The GWS academy midfielder spoke with the Giants, Brisbane Lions and Collingwood Magpies who Powell has supported his entire life.

The Magpies hold a special place in Powell's heart - the Belconnen Magpies were his first team in Canberra - but the 18-year-old said it would be a dream come true to get drafted anywhere.

"Dad is a mad-keen Collingwood fan so I support them too, he'd be stoked if I went there and they'd be my preference but anywhere would be awesome," Powell said.

Last edited:
Well recent history would suggest that these Canberra lads are pretty keen to move down to Melbourne and experience life in the footy bubble as soon as they can.
I think every players dream would be to go to a club they grew up supporting this is nothing new.
Powell also stated it would be a dream come true to be drafted anywhere (so lets put things in true context).
Steele left for more opportunity and at the time Kennedy was more favourable at selection table. Cant blame Steele for that how much longer should he have stayed in NEAFL getting 40 touches a game.

No, not anyone, just you.
Speaking as an impartial lurker, I'd say you guys can't afford to abuse and alienate potential new posters - which you do a lot. You seem to have a culture of suspicion and hostility to anyone outside your own VERY tight knit community which you could fit in a phone box. GWS has the smallest Bigfooty community of all the 18 clubs. Pretty obvious why. Just saying.

Speaking as an impartial lurker, I'd say you guys can't afford to abuse and alienate potential new posters - which you do a lot. You seem to have a culture of suspicion and hostility to anyone outside your own VERY tight knit community which you could fit in a phone box. GWS has the smallest Bigfooty community of all the 18 clubs. Pretty obvious why. Just saying.

Whilst I agree entirely with the sentiment, the user in question created an alt simply to post what he did, make of that what you will re the response.
I think you will find it hard to find a more welcoming and less combative board for genuine fans of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back