Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued from here:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-list-management-discussion-pt-2.1198027/page-403

A bit slow to start this one up, but as the saying goes, better late than never.

I will amend the OP in due course with a snapshot of the list as well as my thoughts on...

1) Each player on our 2018 list;

2) Our out of contract players and who I don't think will be here in 2019; and

3) Trading & Free Agency. Who might we be in the market for and how are we going to get them?

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't mean salary dumps! :poo:
Our list has resembled a junk yard for some time.......

after several top ten GWS failures]no surprise we got them]......we did do ok anyway for value

Maybe its time to stabilse our list......expensive to stuff around with list too much

Remember Ed Curnow was an out for a few years....so maybe guys like Kerridge who also has a tank can improve late like Ed.....and get us a value player

keep an old dump for a new dump -you get my drift.....

Our list has resembled a junk yard for some time.......

after several top ten GWS failures]no surprise we got them]......we did do ok anyway for value

Maybe its time to stabilse our list......expensive to stuff around with list too much

Remember Ed Curnow was an out for a few years....so maybe guys like Kerridge who also has a tank can improve late like Ed.....and get us a value player

keep an old dump for a new dump -you get my drift.....
Mate Ed still butchers the ball, great guy don’t get me wrong, but he ain’t making the WC or magpies GF team. We need real talent, Kerridge can find the ball but makes aweful decisions, delist.

Mate Ed still butchers the ball, great guy don’t get me wrong, but he ain’t making the WC or magpies GF team. We need real talent, Kerridge can find the ball but makes aweful decisions, delist.

Not true. Ed would make both sides.

maybe ed but certainly not kerridge.

but until dow, fisher, sps, o'brien, kennedy, setterfield, walsh, williamson, pickett all get 3-4 pre-seasons into them then having guys on our list with great endurance will help manage the deficit of running power the team currently has while getting games into the kids.

that gws game was a real eye opener. a team of 16 good runners ran rings around us. if you haven't got the cumulative running power in the group to get to enough contests across the ground you'll get destroyed in the modern game.

Lets play this out:

2018 - Shiel 25 - Carlton 18th
2019 - Shiel 26 - Carlton 12-16
2020 - Shiel 27 - Carlton 8-12
2021 - Shiel 28 - Carlton 4-8
2022 - Shiel 29 - Carlton top 4
2023 - Shiel 30 - Carlton top 4

He'd still be good for us, just a long time to waite.
No doubt he would have been. I think my statement was pretty spot on as I heard part of an interview Shiel had and he stated he chose the other mob as they were a bit further ahead. He's looking for success and he saw it quicker with *. Ya win some, ya lose some. Bring on Sam Walsh and a player next year, that'll work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt he would have been. I think my statement was pretty spot on as I heard part of an interview Shiel had and he stated he chose the other mob as they were a bit further ahead. He's looking for success and he saw it quicker with *. Ya win some, ya lose some. Bring on Sam Walsh and a player next year, that'll work.
Fair enough bud. Not saying youre wrong just that he wasnt keen on waiting 3 years.

McClure amd Harvey reckon we're going to have the best midfield in 3 years time...together with Bulldogs (I personally think Gws will still).

I love how much these two rate us...breath of fresh air in the midst of a sheep media.

Even if this trade period finishes on the note on acquiring Setterfield, we should be some way in front by way of what we put out onto the park next year.
Always hard to gauge output of players, but we've lost no-one of note (although Byrne), gained a few of quality players McGovern, Setterfield and all being well, Walsh), but more than anything else, we have to see increased output from all players in general, but especially some that didn't have a particularly good 2018, given the latent talent.

You can never be sure as to whose 'next year' will be better than the one gone by, but is it fair to expect increased output by....
Murphy, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton, Cuningham & Garlett by way of form.
Docherty, Williamson, Marchbank, Pickett, Kennedy, Plowman and Lang for injury.
Dow & O'Brien for games got into and Macreadie for opportunity.
Add the aforementioned McGovern, Setterfield and Walsh and the one thing we need to ask for, is to just keep most of these guys playing together and for longer....enter Andrew Russell. Expectations are high. :)

IMO Ed would be in any side. Not flashy but valuable. Watch him closely and the team stuff he does and never stops. Over the last 3-4 years his disposal has really improved. Plays within himself and a great example to others. Don't judge him on last season as he was really struggling with injury.

A fit Ed is another bonus for 2019.

Plus keeping Ed keeps Charlie happy :)

Last edited:
Even if this trade period finishes on the note on acquiring Setterfield, we should be some way in front by way of what we put out onto the park next year.
Always hard to gauge output of players, but we've lost no-one of note (although Byrne), gained a few of quality players McGovern, Setterfield and all being well, Walsh), but more than anything else, we have to see increased output from all players in general, but especially some that didn't have a particularly good 2018, given the latent talent.

You can never be sure as to whose 'next year' will be better than the one gone by, but is it fair to expect increased output by....
Murphy, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton, Cuningham & Garlett by way of form.
Docherty, Williamson, Marchbank, Pickett, Kennedy, Plowman and Lang for injury.
Dow & O'Brien for games got into and Macreadie for opportunity.
Add the aforementioned McGovern, Setterfield and Walsh and the one thing we need to ask for, is to just keep most of these guys playing together and for longer....enter Andrew Russell. Expectations are high. :)

I also reckon the new rules will help us enormously. Our young midfield will enjoy them.

You are insane.

We all love EC but no he would not.

Classic case of supporters thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. It isn't.

Ed's no star but he's proven himself over many years now, in a number of positions. Very good tagger who can also play inside or outside mid depending on the circumstances.

He's a better option than both Greenwood and Hutchings, and he's a better footballer than a number of others, including Masten and Aish.

He comfortably makes both sides.

Well we certainly don't draft them for their work ethic apparently.
You mean the performance review rumour? I reckon wires have gotten crossed there, as the players were exhausted and injured, not failing to put in.

There's certainly refinements to be made, but I'd be very surprised if one of them was more total hours in the gym and on the track.

Classic case of supporters thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. It isn't.
But is the grass Greenwood? :smirk:

Ed's no star but he's proven himself over many years now, in a number of positions. Very good tagger who can also play inside or outside mid depending on the circumstances.

He's a better option than both Greenwood and Hutchings, and he's a better footballer than a number of others, including Masten and Aish.

He comfortably makes both sides.
I really like Ed don’t get me wrong. Met him in south Melbourne and had a chat for 20 mins great guy, do not disagree about that. Just his disposal this season has been really poor, often at times when there is no pressure. It’s IMO. We can never actually know, I like his Hardness at tackling and getting the ball, but I think his disposal would keep him out of a top 4 team.

I really like Ed don’t get me wrong. Met him in south Melbourne and had a chat for 20 mins great guy, do not disagree about that. Just his disposal this season has been really poor, often at times when there is no pressure. It’s IMO. We can never actually know, I like his Hardness at tackling and getting the ball, but I think his disposal would keep him out of a top 4 team.
Nah he could for sure be a Sewell in a great team IMO.

He has very average skills but does pick the right option more often than not, this season it dropped off a bit towards the end of the year but I actually think his vision is decent.

So to clarify, our stated aim was to increase players in the 23-27 age bracket.

We've lost/let go Silvagni, Wright, Byrne, Mullett, O'Shea, Shaw.

The only guys older than 20 yo we're going to trade in are McGov and Fas.

We don't want any more deck chairs.

So who is running out to support our kids in the reserves next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back