Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaff and a wallis or Dahlhous will help them develop also.
Who are you thinking we go for who is perceived a gun that will only cost a 1st pick somewhere between 1 and 6?

No one ever said that. It will take a few picks and some wheeling and dealing from SOS's part. Depends on player and contarct status. How doesn't concern me as SOS will work it out, Who is the question for me

Why all this talk about De Goey all of a sudden? Several off field issues doesnt really seem to fit into our player profile. We are definitely not going to spend the farm on a bad apple (for lack of a better term) despite talent. And you could argue Dusty was the same. But its a high stakes gamble. I dont see that being in our strategy. There are other A graders we could get around the same price that are less risky. Simply do not think De Goey is in our consideration at all.

Can play but I can't see SOS or Bolts going for him. Premium has been on "quality individuals" that fit into what we are doing. Not sure De Goey does that

GWS record since Josh kelly got injured

2 wins : Freo and Lions
1 Draw : Saints
3 Losses: Cats, eagles, Nth

Kelly is the one I want. Elite and will get better. IMO will be a top 5 AFL player. Always interested that we threw big money at him and he only signed at GWS for 2 years. Talk is he will come back to Victoria at the end of 2019. I expect us to be right in it and throw everything at him.

Imagine him outside Cripps Kennedy Dow SPS Curnow. WOW :straining:

If we can add Gaff etc and a big fish this year then Kelly in 2019 watch out 2020. :)

PS I believe our list is close now. Adding these guys is cream on the cake.

End of year fantasy:

Out: Lebois (delisted) -- Shaw (delisted) -- Polson (delisted) -- Graham (traded or delisted) -- O'Shea (delisted) -- Glass-McCasker (delisted) -- A.Silvagni (retired) -- K. Simpson (retired) -- Casboult (traded)

Some obvious calls here, and also some tough calls. ASOS's body can't handle it anymore. Simmo's time is just about up, and Cas has value and is surplus to our needs.

In (Draft): Sam Walsh (Inside Mid) -- Ian Hill (Outside Mid / Utility) -- Riley Collier-Dawkins (Inside Mid) -- Zane Barzen (Medium Forward) -- Ben Silvagni (Key Forward)

Strong focus on inside mids.

In (Free Agency/Trade): Andrew Gaff (Restricted) -- Luke Dahlhaus (Unrestricted) -- Daniel Menzel (Unrestricted) -- Nic Newman (Out of Contract)

Filling gaps here - Gaff - outside mid -- Dahlhaus - Balanced mid/foward -- Menzel - Medium sized forward (we have none except for JSOS) -- Newman -- value and IP from Swans.

Overall gives us a much better age balance and also positional balance.

Best 22 2019

FB:
Jacob Weitering -- Liam Jones -- Lachie Plowman
HB: Sam Docherty -- Caleb Marchbank -- Tom Williamson
C: Andrew Gaff -- Ed Curnow -- Lochie O'Brien
R: Matthew Kreuzer -- Patrick Cripps -- Marc Murphy
HF: Luke Dahlhaus -- Charlie Curnow -- Zac Fisher
FF: Daniel Menzel -- Harry McKay -- Sam Petrevski-Seton
Int: Paddy Dow -- Matthew Kennedy -- Darcy Lang -- Sam Walsh
Emg: Jarrod Pickett -- Nic Newman -- David Cuningham

Reserves Best 22 2019

FB:
Angus Schumacher -- Sam Rowe -- Ciaran Byrne
HB: Dale Thomas -- Harrison Macreadie -- Aaron Mullett
C: Jarrod Pickett -- David Cuningham-- Jarrod Garlett
R: Andrew Phillips -- Sam Kerridge -- Nic Newman
HF:
Jed Lamb -- Pat Kerr -- Matthew Wright
FF: Jack Silvagni -- Tom De Koning -- Ian Hill
Int:
Riley Collier-Dawkins -- Cillian McDaid -- Zane Barzen -- Ben Silvagni

We are desperate for more good, mature midfielders.

No point having all these young top draft picks if we keep getting belted.

SOS, loosen the purse strings and pay overs if that's what it takes to get someone like Gaff.
We should also put our 2019 first pick on the table for someone like Shiel.

We have lots of talent, just bring in some guns to help them develop.

SOS, loosen the purse strings and pay overs if that's what it takes to get someone like Gaff.

He will, I'm sure of it. Gaff Dahlhaus maybe Wines Shiel or Sloane then another Lang type and maybe a kid needing a chance that's in his third year like Brodie as an example? Then add BSOS Pick 1-3 and a couple more picks.

That's my expectation and would make a massive difference to our best 22/List

He will, I'm sure of it. Gaff Dahlhaus maybe Wines Shiel or Sloane then another Lang type and maybe a kid needing a chance that's in his third year like Brodie as an example? Then add BSOS Pick 1-3 and a couple more picks.

That's my expectation and would make a massive difference to our best 22/List

It's my expectation to chase those guys hard, but not to land them.

How often does a bottom 3 side land a 'big fish'? Let alone multiple in one off-season?
There will be plenty of clubs chasing Gaff, Wines & Sloane in particular...clubs who might look more enticing than us atm.

What i would consider a good off-season:
Gaff
Dahlhaus
A lower tier cheap player in the Lang mould

Then hopefully our first pick can have a decent immediate impact.

We are doing our kids like SPS, Fisher, Dow & LOB a disservice if we don't land some though...it's unfair on them to have to carry so much load and not get an environment where they can develop best they can.

Not to mention being unfair on Cripps too. I'm sure he'd want assurances from the club we are doing all we can to get him some help in the middle.

It's my expectation to chase those guys hard, but not to land them.

How often does a bottom 3 side land a 'big fish'? Let alone multiple in one off-season?
There will be plenty of clubs chasing Gaff, Wines & Sloane in particular...clubs who might look more enticing than us atm.

What i would consider a good off-season:
Gaff
Dahlhaus
A lower tier cheap player in the Lang mould

Then hopefully our first pick can have a decent immediate impact.

Anything more than that is a REALLY good off-season, like if we somehow landed both Gaff & Shiel to immediately turn our midfield into probably an A grade one. Probably 1% chance of happening though.

Agree but what people forget is that names like SPS Dow Charlie Weitering Marchbank Fisher Williamson Cuningham etc will really start to step it up in performance from 2019. It will as big difference if not more than bringing in more players. Bonus is we will do both. 2019 will be a big improvement as it's the time when all things start coming together.

If it does after 42 List changes (plus more this year) in 3 years that is an incredible turnaroud in such a short time. :)

If free agents are expected to balk at the idea of coming to us, how are we expected to manage to land a big trade? Only Carlton are desperate and stupid enough to give up pick one or two in this year's draft, if my instincts are right about the quality of the first few players available. If logic states that our biggest hurdle in getting good players to come to us is persuading them to choose Carlton, then why should giving up our first pick be on the cards?

If free agents are expected to balk at the idea of coming to us, how are we expected to manage to land a big trade? Only Carlton are desperate and stupid enough to give up pick one or two in this year's draft, if my instincts are right about the quality of the first few players available. If logic states that our biggest hurdle in getting good players to come to us is persuading them to choose Carlton, then why should giving up our first pick be on the cards?

No one has said anything about trading this years first.

Next years however i'd be willing to trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who ever said we are giving up our first pick?

Who said any Free Agents are baulking at coming to us?

The first half of this year will easily be forgotten, if we do have a good back end to the year.
If injuries continue they way they have, it's going to be so much harder selling 'blue skies' to targeted recruits at Carlton.
It can only help if Weitering comes good, as we won't want to known as someone that destroys talent.

Bolton and the group simply have to 'reset' after the bye and take on the second half of the year with more vigour than we have the first half.

We should suck it up and pay overs for a Gaff or Dahlhaus. No other way to bring in this type of quality and experience at this point.

The number 1 pick should definitely be on the table. There’s no telling what a team would pay to get one of those key forwards at the top end.

Totally agree

We should suck it up and pay overs for a Gaff or Dahlhaus. No other way to bring in this type of quality and experience at this point.

The number 1 pick should definitely be on the table. There’s no telling what a team would pay to get one of those key forwards at the top end.

Talk about selling the farm halfway through the sowing of the seeds. :eek:

Reckon there's every chance Gaff does a Kelly/Shiel and sign on for an extra two years.

Agree Weagles are in the hunt for a flag now much harder to leave that.

I’m guessing that after today (and Norf game) we would be a pretty unattractive destination for those FA’s looking for a flag with a Melbourne team for at least another year or two. Perhaps those of a more mercenary nature would come for cash.

Locking Charlie and Cripps away for 5 years asap will help us market our vision.

Need some ready to go top level mids. Gaff Dahlhaus Wallis Sloane need to be targeted and heavily.

Sloane is older but would be very handy and take the pressure off Cripps. We have the money and wouldn't cost any picks. We have the young talent and will add another 5-6 this year.

Mature QUALITY depth is now needed

Need some ready to go top level mids. Gaff Dahlhaus Wallis Sloane need to be targeted and heavily.

Sloane is older but would be very handy and take the pressure off Cripps. We have the money and wouldn't cost any picks. We have the young talent and will add another 5-6 this year.

Mature QUALITY depth is now needed

100% agree, as long as they have 3-4 years of footy eft then its fine. If we believe we will be challenging in 2020 then there is nothing wrong with Sloane.

Hi is a workhorse and a fierce competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back