Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it both ways Soap.

ASOS close to retiring you'd think.
Simpson also close to retiring.
Thomas flexible enough to play elsewhere, senior or VFL level.
Mullett an OK option at best, depth player.
Byrne perpetually injured, decision might need to be made to cut our losses.
Cuningham still looks a lot like a HFF/mid to me.

First Choice:
Newman, Jones, Marchbank
Docherty, Weitering, Williamson

Back-up/Developing:
Plowman, Rowe, O'Shea
Mullett, Macreadie, Schumacher

Retired: ASOS, Simpson, Byrne
Used elsewhere: Daisy, Cuningham

That first choice backline is solid, flexible and able to move the ball well, and quickly.
The second choice backline is a good mix of youth and experience, which is helpful from a development perspective.

Using a late second or third round pick, possibly even a future pick instead, on Newman would be smart trading. He's got some similar traits to Willo, who is shaping up as a very important player for us.

Doesn't hamper our ability to target a free agent like Gaff, or our ability to draft top end talent.

Newman, Jones, Marchbank
Docherty, Weitering, Williamson
O'Brien, Gaff, E. Curnow
Kreuzer, Cripps, Kennedy
Cuningham, C. Curnow, Fisher
Pickett, McKay, Murphy
I/C: Lang, SPS, Dow, Pick 2-3
EMG: Thomas, Kerridge, SOS, Plowman

Building nicely.
Jones is not the future and should have been dropped weeks ago. I will never question his effort, but he gets losted and cost so many goals when he stuffs up and miss reads the play.

Next year they wouldn't get anything from us, but they'd get a compo pick after their first.

I doubt they'd want to get rid of a contracted player for 2019 where they are contending for a premiership

Im assuming they will match any offer to force a trade, like the Crows and Cats. If they can't afford to match i wouldn't be surprised if the AFL helped.

yep! Jones,OShea,Rowe, Kerridge, Lamb, Mullet, and Thomas, must delist! Except for Thomas, the others are VFL players.

Rowe is our best shutdown defender and our defence looks better with him in it. ASOS for me is too short to play a shutdown roll on the gorilla forwards and JGM is still developing.

Thomas would be top 3 in the B&F ATM and playing the best football since coming to us.

Lamb has shown he is a good roll player as a defensive forward.

Add Graham, Shaw, ASOS to your list but I’ll be keeping Rowe, Thomas and Lamb.

Questions need to be asked as to the experience players brought in to support the kids

The fringe players around the kids and the supporting cast have been really poor.

Wright the only good one.

He's been pretty poor in plenty of games too tbh.

I think it's all part of the long-term plan...stocking up on draft picks by trading away currency (eg Hendo, Tuohy) and getting in mature players for free...meaning discarded DFA players.

With all our injuries guys like O'Shea & Mullett have played more games then intended i'm sure...gone from depth to starting every game. That wasn't the plan.

Now that we're on record in saying the deep cuts and high turnover period is over, and we have accumulated lots of young talent, i think you'll see us look to bring in better quality mature players via FA and trade. Instead of trading established players for draft picks, we should now be prepared to trade draft picks for established players.

Why would Kelly, Gaff, Shiel or any A grade come to us at the moment?

We have a good group of young midfielders in Cripps, Fisher, SPS, Dow, O’ Brien, Kennedy, Lang and Cuningham with Murphy and Ed Curnow and if we could add another older mid or 2 but let’s look at the best player not getting a game like Barlow, Miles, Vandenberg, Bell or even a younger Brodie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tenor.gif

Also, no

Rowe is our best shutdown defender and our defence looks better with him in it. ASOS for me is too short to play a shutdown roll on the gorilla forwards and JGM is still developing.

Thomas would be top 3 in the B&F ATM and playing the best football since coming to us.

Add Graham, Shaw, ASOS to your list but I’ll be keeping Rowe, Thomas and Lamb.
Rowe has no future in the seniors beyond this year.

We could do worse than look at a young solid body who can't get much of a look in at a top side at the moment. Nic Newman is ripping it up in the NEAFL but has only had two games for the Swans at AFL level. Moneyball trade. Can't cost too much. Frankston boy, out of contract this year.

We could do worse than look at a young solid body who can't get much of a look in at a top side at the moment. Nic Newman is ripping it up in the NEAFL but has only had two games for the Swans at AFL level. Moneyball trade. Can't cost too much. Frankston boy, out of contract this year.
Love a young solid body, myself.

If we are looking to deal before he's an RFA, then we should be having a chat to Kelly, Coniglio and Hopper's managers as they are also out of contract next year. All are very similar sized players to Sheil (Hopper is a little bigger but less proven).

Shiels is similar to Crippa in terms of goals per game, whereas Coniglio and Kelly are closer to goal a game.

Likewise the Suns have some guns that we should be shaking the tree at. Jack Martin for example.

I'm sure SOS has a list and will leave no stone unturned.

Can be sure that SOS is making a list, and checking it twice :rolleyes:

Scrimshaw into the midfield in the NEAFL the last two weeks, but his speed off the mark looks a bit shot. By no coincidence, his hamstrings look utterly massive compared to the rest of his core. Gold Coast are ruining another one.

Not sure he's mobile enough to add to our defence. Good distributor though.

Would rather we pay attention to Rose and Dawson.

Not sure he's mobile enough to add to our defence. Good distributor though.

Would rather we pay attention to Rose and Dawson.

He's not necessarily a defender though. He's probably a midfielder who lacks pace which is why Sydney play him down back when the get injuries. Might compete with Kennedy who is still to show enough to convince us he will make it. Doesn't mind a goal either.

i get the local geelong connection with dahlhaus. hes old man and uncle were gun local / vfa players ,also good cricketers. but with the introvert patty, selwoods,ablett,guthrie ,duncan ,menengola, parfitt going well ,gregson, horlin smith ect. there got sh#t loads of mid mid/fwds. surely he and geelong would be looking at that and thinking no thanks.cant see them coffing up $400-$500 a year. they need key backs not more mid /fwds.

i was hopping we could jag a miles or similar from richmond last year . does anyone rate horlin -smith as a blue ? he seems like a josh caddy type a couple years ago.

They would be struggling worse than us if they had our injuries.

They've barely had any all year.

I like the style of footy Brisbane are playing this year. Far more entertaining than Carlton.

I think they are ahead of us in the rebuild and performing better. We do have many injuries which is having a significant impact and making list comparisons difficult.

I wouldn’t under sell Brisbane just because of blue bias. Who has the best team in a couple of years is impossible to know as so many young players are still developing and we don’t know what there limits will be.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back