Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate I had a full lisfranc rupture that cost me a contract and scholarship. I know better than most the damage it causes. That and battling narcolepsy made it far more difficult than someone already in a professional club with support. I had the same surgeon as Pickett and my injury was far worse than his but I’ve come back as fast/ faster than him and don’t have the monetary/ rehab and emotional support of a professional club plus I have the extra mental disability to work through. The good thing about a lisfranc is that is heals completely and confidence in the foot returns reasonably quickly. He hasn’t shown enough and that injury is no excuse anymore. If I can do it whilst studying, working and battling for money and places to live then he can do better.

On the quote, I find that really condescending and it has nothing to do with Pickett. It’s the sort of thing that is actually false. Staying focussed on a past success breeds arrogance and complacency. You learn from mistakes and focus on the process. Many years involved in sport and many sports psychologists have made that abundantly clear. Pickett is not successful yet, yes he’s on an afl list but his ‘success’ so far has come from a freakish natural talent. Not the hard work and determination of someone like a Steve Waugh. He’s got a long way to go and was someone I looked at for strength whilst dealing with my injuries and thus far has been disappointing. I continue to hope as I’m a supporter of the club and it's players but I’ve actually spoken to his surgeon again quite recently and know when he was able to run fully unhindered and his fitness now cannot be attributed to that injury. It’s not longer an excuse.
I’m very sorry you suffered through this ordeal but still it doesn’t excuse you the right to bag out Pickett for what he’s acheieved off 10 games (yes, ******* 10 games). I will repeat it again. ******* 10 GAMES. you are kidding if you can tell me a story about your lisfranc injury and convince me otherwise. It’s tough but he’s playing for an AFL team And he had a much higher expectations on him than yourself. But at ******* 19. I don’t want to carry on about this but I still think he’s had a major improvement on his career opportunities by joining Carlton and he has absolutely fulfilled them. Anything he touched tonight Turned to gold.

You are such a funny ****.

Think Kerridge is a pretty easy target for some at times. Have to admit I was pleasantly surprised how well he played in the second half of last season. I think there are a few others I'd be looking to move on before him.

Kerridge is a known quantity and fitness wise doesnt need the run. Not definite best 22, but not far away. Not as important to see him in the JLT compared to the new players. I see Mullet and Oshea as sos's money ball rolls of the dice. Didnt cost much and if they show something great, if not, move them on. Kerridge we have invested far more in, and he has shown something

Refused to leave Adelaide. Waste of time drafting him.

Lived 4 hours from Adelaide

Early days but looked awesome v Port. Going to be interesting watching Fogarty and O'Brien's careers unfold and wouldn't be at all surprised to see D. Fog become far and away the better player.

Understandably though, we needed more outside players with decent footskills.

Last edited:
Actually mate wasn’t teeing off on Pickett was providing some insight to a poster and another point of view. If you actually read what I’ve said carefully you’ll realise I like Pickett and think he can make it but have concerns over his work ethic. My post is completely relevant. Don’t need that kind of rudeness, my injury has plenty to do with Pickett’s situation as I’m probably one of the few people on this board who’s suffered the same injury. Pickett has been in a professional organisation and has all the support available to him. This kind of injury heals tremendously well. He has no excuse. I provided context to my knowledge. That’s all mate.

Also as an aside my surgeon is my surgeon and only provided me information he was happy to share. If he wasn’t happy to share it he wouldn’t have said anything. So don’t speak for him. Jeez no wonder people don’t like sharing information on this site.

One pre season game, sure. My point was not that he had shown nothing it was more countering someone who said was looking brilliant and making excuses for him at the same time.

If you don’t want different/ interesting/ broader points of view then I’m happy to leave.
Everyone recovers from injury with different results depending on body type etc and you may have had the same surgery but league football is elite level sport. His work ethic has been questioned and is hopefully improving, we really need to nuture his talent and get behind the kid. He adds a new dimension to our forward line and could become invaluable to our setup.

Lived 4 hours from Adelaide

Early days but looked awesome v Port. Going to be interesting watching Fogarty and O'Brien's careers unfold and wouldn't be at all surprised to see D. Fog be far and away the better player.

Understandably though, we needed more outside players with decent footskills.
The elite run and kicking skills is what SOS has looked for so far ...

O’Brien, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Charlie, Williamson, Polson, Pickett, Garlett, Cuningham, Lang ...
O’Brien, Charlie and Williamson are all in the top few for endurance and are good kicks.
The others have pure speed, I think Pickett has a beep test score over 14 in his draft year too.

As for key position players, mobility also seems to be what SOS looks for and Weits, McKay, Charlie (again), Jack, Marchbank, Macreadie and TDK have plenty. And again the kicking skills.

O’Brien has already shown he will run 100 metres to be the link in a chain of handballs. Can see him as on the wing in years to come much like Scully at GWS and Gaff at WCE. I think he has to adjust a bit more to the pace at which AFL is played at and perhaps go for the longer kicks rather than the shorter kicks.

I’m very sorry you suffered through this ordeal but still it doesn’t excuse you the right to bag out Pickett for what he’s acheieved off 10 games (yes, ******* 10 games). I will repeat it again. ******* 10 GAMES. you are kidding if you can tell me a story about your lisfranc injury and convince me otherwise. It’s tough but he’s playing for an AFL team And he had a much higher expectations on him than yourself. But at ******* 19. I don’t want to carry on about this but I still think he’s had a major improvement on his career opportunities by joining Carlton and he has absolutely fulfilled them. Anything he touched tonight Turned to gold.
Only just watched it, again I like him and reckon he has unbelievable talent. He still goes missing too often, last night he looked more composed which was really nice. Yeah, also trying to separate the expectations between him and msyelf, there are many factors, all I was saying is that this kind of injury has a near 100% success rate in terms of healing and that it was time he showed more. Too many players get talked up like they're already elite before they've put a four quarter game together.

Everyone recovers from injury with different results depending on body type etc and you may have had the same surgery but league football is elite level sport. His work ethic has been questioned and is hopefully improving, we really need to nuture his talent and get behind the kid. He adds a new dimension to our forward line and could become invaluable to our setup.
Yep an insane talent, only reason I question his work rate is because I know from his GWS days that he wasn't great and I have insight into the specific injury. He looked brilliant in patches again last night. Want 4 quarters from him. I have very high expectations for him as he is extremely talented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only just watched it, again I like him and reckon he has unbelievable talent. He still goes missing too often, last night he looked more composed which was really nice. Yeah, also trying to separate the expectations between him and msyelf, there are many factors, all I was saying is that this kind of injury has a near 100% success rate in terms of healing and that it was time he showed more. Too many players get talked up like they're already elite before they've put a four quarter game together.

His face looked like he was shitting bricks at the end of the forward 50 boundary run ..... almost like oh s**t I've done it again .. then his face lit up when he saw lamb come into frame lol.

But I like Pik, think he ads that : * it I'll have a crack and see what happens factor.

That one on one mark in the F50 was impressive too watch.

His face looked like he was shitting bricks at the end of the forward 50 boundary run ..... almost like oh s**t I've done it again .. then his face lit up when he saw lamb come into frame lol.

But I like Pik, think he ads that : **** it I'll have a crack and see what happens factor.

That one on one mark in the F50 was impressive too watch.
Yeah he’s remarkably good overhead for a small, was a terrific grab.

LOB instead of Fogarty was a mistake. Didn't think Fogarty would have lasted to our second pick, but was even more shocked when we didn't pick him up at 10. Gotta back yourself in to retain players like that imo.

Sos is an interesting one. I think he has actually got a yard quicker over the off season.

He runs hard during games because he such a competitive beast. Often his lunging tackles and chases look clumbsy because he's still busting his gut when he's absolutely knackered.

After seeing his preseason games I don't think he's much if any slower than Marchbank when he's running on fresh legs. SPS isn't particularly quick either, but these types of players can still make a valuable contribution to the team.

LOB instead of Fogarty was a mistake. Didn't think Fogarty would have lasted to our second pick, but was even more shocked when we didn't pick him up at 10. Gotta back yourself in to retain players like that imo.

We won’t know if it’s a mistake for another couple of years. I too had Fogarty ahead of LOB but considering we don’t have near the knowledge, resources and experience that SOS has, we should leave him be and trust that he is doing the right job until the time is right to judge. 2 JLT games is not the right time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O’Brien has already shown he will run 100 metres to be the link in a chain of handballs. Can see him as on the wing in years to come much like Scully at GWS and Gaff at WCE. I think he has to adjust a bit more to the pace at which AFL is played at and perhaps go for the longer kicks rather than the shorter kicks.

Totally agree, plus floating into defence to add another layer.

Fogarty has the higher ceiling and may end up the Curnow equivalent of his draft (Milera Adelaide's O'Brien), who slipped slightly after being touted as being a comfortable Top 10 selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back