Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=9&type=A&pid1=3946&pid2=3885&fid1=C&fid2=C

Rory Lobb Name Matthew Taberner
Career Stats for Season Career
74 Games 62
6.3 Kicks Per Game 7.0
Handballs Per Game 4.0
10.6 Disposals Per Game 11.0
3.9 Marks Per Game 4.4
0.9 Goals Per Game 1.0
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.5
2.7 Tackles Per Game 2.0
11.6 Hitouts Per Game 1.5
1.4 Inside 50s Per Game 1.7
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.3
1.1 Frees For Per Game 0.7
0.9 Frees Against Per Game 1.3
Contested Possessions Per Game 5.3
4.8 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 5.7
Effective Disposals Per Game 7.4
70.8% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 67.3%
1.9 Clangers Per Game 2.7
Contested Marks Per Game 1.6
0.9 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 1.0
Clearances Per Game 0.3
0.7 Rebound 50s Per Game 0.3
3.2 One Percenters Per Game 1.1
0 Bounces Per Game 0
83.2 Time On Ground % Per Game 82

Stats are pretty even, the big difference for is the Hits outs.

Lobb is an upgrade on Taberner because he can play in the ruck.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=9&type=A&pid1=3946&pid2=3885&fid1=C&fid2=C

74 Games 62
6.3 Kicks Per Game 7.0
Handballs Per Game 4.0
3.9 Marks Per Game 4.4
0.9 Goals Per Game 1.0
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.5
2.7 Tackles Per Game 2.0
Clearances Per Game 0.3
0 Bounces Per Game 0

Meh, we've got a long-term ruckman. Even someone like Blakely could handle the other 10% if we don't like taking Tabs out of the forward line.

74 Games 62
6.3 Kicks Per Game 7.0
Handballs Per Game 4.0
3.9 Marks Per Game 4.4
0.9 Goals Per Game 1.0
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.5
2.7 Tackles Per Game 2.0
Clearances Per Game 0.3
0 Bounces Per Game 0

This shows that Lobb would be way higher if he didn’t play a season and a half as ruck.

Brad Hardie floated this on 6PR and I was thinking along the same lines as seems plausible:

https://omny.fm/shows/perth-live/brad-hardie-200918

Effectively Neale to Brisbane for pick 4. Hogan to Freo for pick 4. May to Melbourne for pick 4.

I don’t think it will be that simple I think it might take pick 4 & 5 or a future first round for Melbourne to release Hogan and there will be a number of other picks going backwards & forwards to even up the deal. But potentially be this years Mega Deal!

Brad Hardie floated this on 6PR and I was thinking along the same lines as seems plausible:

Effectively Neale to Brisbane for pick 4. Hogan to Freo for pick 4. May to Melbourne for pick 4.

I don’t think it will be that simple I think it might take pick 4 & 5 or a future first round for Melbourne to release Hogan and there will be a number of other picks going backwards & forwards to even up the deal. But potentially be this years Mega Deal!

What about the opportunity cost?

The age demographics of our rucks is pretty ordinary, especially with Jones looking below standard. Darcy and Lobb are an ok tag team for me. I would love Taberner to be able to do 2nd ruck duties, but so far he is looked poor, and he has not been available for large chunks of games. I can definitely see why the interest is there for Lobb.
What I like about Lobb is tabs doesn’t have to do back up ruck duties. Leave him forward, when he goes into the ruck we lose so much structure

Bro, im way ahead of Hardie, check the hypothetical trade thread

I'm all for getting Lobb but why bother signing Sandi and Apeness a couple of weeks ago? Means little afl time for Darcy next year and also means we should have just cut Apeness anyhow plus a couple of Jones/Meek/Strnadica.

I guess poor list management is one of the few things we've excelled at over the last few years.

Why not just leave Lobb until he's out of contract next year. He probably comes cheaper and we have a much better gauge on who to keep out of Jones/Apeness/Meek/Strnadica for backup support.

I'm all for getting Lobb but why bother signing Sandi and Apeness a couple of weeks ago? Means little afl time for Darcy next year and also means we should have just cut Apeness anyhow plus a couple of Jones/Meek/Strnadica.

I guess poor list management is one of the few things we've excelled at over the last few years.

Why not just leave Lobb until he's out of contract next year. He probably comes cheaper and we have a much better gauge on who to keep out of Jones/Apeness/Meek/Strnadica for backup support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apeness was signed before his latest setback, Sandi will help to raise the kids. I think his body is shot anyway and we’d be lucky to get ten games out of him, but I do like that he hasn’t even put out to pasture yet so that he can help the ruck coaches.

74 Games 62
6.3 Kicks Per Game 7.0
Handballs Per Game 4.0
3.9 Marks Per Game 4.4
0.9 Goals Per Game 1.0
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.5
2.7 Tackles Per Game 2.0
Clearances Per Game 0.3
0 Bounces Per Game 0

A little clearer, career averages:

upload_2018-9-21_10-29-4.png

2018 Averages:

upload_2018-9-21_10-30-1.png

1 - Darcy isn’t playing WAFL. The club is well aware that he’s the next N1 ruck.
2 - Apeness signed a long way back when he was hitting some form.
3 - Sandilands signed before Lobb was even floated around. You can’t just sit and wait for players to become available or you’ll miss out or lose guys.
4 - Jones was very raw and only played out of need last year. Way off a proper AFL ruck.
5 - Meek was in reserves most the year
6 - Strnadica could be anything, but he’s still a rookie. Could also be a bust.

If we have Fyfe,Lobb,Cox & Tabs(tabs has a bit to go) on the ground we've got some good contested marking targets.
Tabs doesn't have a bit to go, he was firing before he got injured last year. So vital in the fact that with him on the ground (power running) he allows the other talls to get good matchups.

It all seems to add up to some degree on a potential trade deal, but why would Hogan come to Freo at this point? The only thing I can think of is some serious $$ that he may not be able to get at Melbourne. But, Melbourne with that team they have built while being on the bottom the past 10 years or so looks like it will be challenging for a few years to come. Why would Hogan risk missing out on a potential premiership next year to go to Freo (zero premiership risk here). He seems to like Melbourne and doesn't seem like a home sick kind of guy. I just don't see him or Melbourne agreeing to it. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back