Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was Fremantle I would be having a real good look at Perth's Michael Bennell. 188cm, 70kg. 24 years old he fits our age profile still. 7 goals straight on the weekend.

I'd want to know a bit more about his background but Bennell has probably been the most eye-catching mature ager I have seen in the WAFL this year. Good skills, leap, mark and seems very agile. Certainly wouldn't have qualms from a pure footy perspective with using a late or rookie pick on him.

I'd want to know a bit more about his background but Bennell has probably been the most eye-catching mature ager I have seen in the WAFL this year. Good skills, leap, mark and seems very agile. Certainly wouldn't have qualms from a pure footy perspective with using a late or rookie pick on him.
There must be a reason this is his first year of WAFL, but based on 3 games of league he looks good.

At worst, he will provide good competition for any other small forwards we bring in next year.

we have turned the corner for sure but we haven't beat anybody outside the bottom 7.
To be fair to Freo, we have lost a few games against Top 6 teams away from home (eg. Richmond, Collingwood, Sydney).
GWS also fixed us up away from home. They didn't have as many injuries then and our Round 1 performance against Port Away was poor, but on their day, Port are tough. They have beaten both Sydney and Richmond in 2018.

Freo were very competitive in both games against Norths and the Slime at home.

Looking ahead, we've got Brisbane Lions at home - winnable, Melbourne Away - very tough and will bring us back down to earth, but then Port at home, Essendon away and the Hawks at home, all three games winnable if things go our way.
The hopeful optimist in me says that Freo may possibly win 4 of those and be up and about for the next derby.

The realist says that our chances of making the final 8 is low and having an impact in the finals even lower. So in terms of the bigger picture, just signs of steady improvement in our youngsters and another good year recruiting followed by a strong pre-season is what I'm looking for.
On current form, Freo still have a good number of very likely delistings at the end of this year that will have little impact on our starting 22 in 2019 (eg. Johnson, Ballas, D.Pearce, Spurr, Sutcliffe).

Last edited:

We'll have a bit of space on the rookie list ....with the number of picks we have to use I could see rookie upgrades being on the cards.

Banfield, Giro, Nyhuis & Duman ....better than just blind picking 3 guys when all other clubs have gone home on draft night.

We'll have a bit of space on the rookie list ....with the number of picks we have to use I could see rookie upgrades being on the cards.

Banfield, Giro, Nyhuis & Duman ....better than just blind picking 3 guys when all other clubs have gone home on draft night.
What is the actual point of upgrading them if they can remain on the rookie list (Strnadica, Banfield and Giro can, not sure about Duman and Nyhuis)?

Doesn't it effectively leave you with fewer choices?

If we upgraded 3 rookies last year wouldn't it mean that we don't get to draft North, Meek and Jones? 23 players were drafted from North's pick onward, and prior to the rookie draft; wouldn't we be better off drafting from all of the players including those 23 rather than waiting till the "best of the rest" are available?

What is the actual point of upgrading them if they can remain on the rookie list (Strnadica, Banfield and Giro can, not sure about Duman and Nyhuis)?

If we upgraded 3 rookies last year wouldn't it mean that we don't get to draft North, Meek and Jones? 23 players were drafted from North's pick onward, and prior to the rookie draft; wouldn't we be better off drafting from all of the players including those 23 rather than waiting till the "best of the rest" are available?

I guess it all depends on how many we choose to cull?

I see it like this .....off contract end of this year (love your table Taylor): Balla, D Pearce, Sheridan, Harley, Hughes, Mundy, Gray, Sandi, Sutcliffe, Spur, MJ & Apeness.

In my world we would move on a minimum of 7 of these, depending on how we go at the trade/FA table ...we are looking at a minimum of say 5 moves.

Currently this is looking like a 7, 79, 97, 115, 133.

Once you get to the 100's - you start to come up with players that are a little more risky or have some knock on them. Rather than draft them and give them a 2 year deal, you rookie list & they don't tie up a main list space (you save a few $'s).

To create space on the rookie list you upgrade say a Bailey Banfield - give him a deserved pay rise and hopefully we spin this into a 2-3 year deal on reasonable dollars.

There is risk, for example I'd have preferred Scott Jones on the rookie list as it ties our hands for one more year but the risk is there he is gone. However I'm sure we can all laugh at West Coast who would rather have had Banfield on their list.

I'm thinking use 7 .. ? Carter ...speculative pick & then an upgrade of Bailey & 1 more.

Lots of water yet to go under lots of bridges.

Last edited:
So as far as forwards - we have

Talls -

Taberner - 199cm / 97 kg (25)
- roaming tall forward who is starting to be menacing, decent contested mark, good tank (watch his start to the Dogs game for a reminder)
- WIP - faster decision making

Apeness - 200cm / 105kg (23)
- ruck forward with a good set of hands and can bust packs, good tackler and below the knees
- WIP - developing his tank

McCarthy - 192cm / 92kg (23)
- mobile forward, good field kick inside 50
- WIP - impacting the game, goal conversion, improving strength

Cox - 193cm / 96kg (19)
- mobile forward with sticky hands, good coordination, and good reading of the play
- WIP - goal kicking

Dixon -194cm / 95kg (19)
- tall prospect who should fill out nicely - unknown quantity
- WIP - everything atm :)

Smalls -

Ballas - 173cm / 79kg (30)
- proven player, gives his all, but has his flaws
- move on end of season

Walters - 177cm / 75kg (27)
- evasive, brilliant field kick, and solid shooter - can rotate through the midfield
- WIP - not staging, ducking (minor really compared to what he brings)

Matera - 173 / 74 (26)
- evasive, decent strength and decent field kick
- WIP - midfield craft

Switkowski - 178cm / 70kg (21)
- unknown quantity
- WIP - everything atm :)

I'm pretty happy that the talls we have are a solid developing set, could probably do with one more at the 21-24 year old mark to improve our depth. We have less depth with the smalls, especially when you take out Ballas in the next year. Looking at the age profiles, that's probably an area I think we should pick up two players. Drop Ballas and pick up Bolton (19) and Fasolo (26) for example, and then draft Ian Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie listed player can be on a rookie list for three years and each year is an option to renew . While being drafted in the main list it’s a two contract. Main list drafting is a bigger commitment.

Plus, late draft picks have about the same chances of making it than rookie listed players. (Excluded delisted players from other clubs).

Nyhuis is in his final year on the rookie list and must be either upgraded or delisted.

With Giro and Banfield you just need to reward effort and performance. To not upgrade is a slap in the face. Allows the Adelaide clubs to come poaching Giro.

Duman can stay on the rookie list for another year.

If we delist/retire 6 players off the main list that gives 33 main listed players. Then we can put 5-7 players onto the main list.

Upgrade 3, add a first draft pick, get Carter and still leaves us 2 late draft picks plus 2 rookie draft picks.

My dream draft/trade period we be pick 7 or 8 (I Hill or Rankine) , Conca, Jetta, Fasolo, Carter, Bolton for next year 3rd, plus draft Shane McAdam and Michael Bennell with late picks.

8 players in, which is roughly how many players we will bring in this year

My dream draft/trade period we be pick 7 or 8 (I Hill or Rankine) , Conca, Jetta, Fasolo, Carter, Bolton for next year 3rd, plus draft Shane McAdam and Michael Bennell with late picks.

8 players in, which is roughly how many players we will bring in this year
Which of those do you see as best 22? I would assume Conca, Fasolo, Jetta and perhaps even Bolton only come if they are. Hill/Rankine too?

Last edited:
Rookie listed player can be on a rookie list for three years and each year is an option to renew . While being drafted in the main list it’s a two contract. Main list drafting is a bigger commitment.

Plus, late draft picks have about the same chances of making it than rookie listed players. (Excluded delisted players from other clubs).

Nyhuis is in his final year on the rookie list and must be either upgraded or delisted.

With Giro and Banfield you just need to reward effort and performance. To not upgrade is a slap in the face. Allows the Adelaide clubs to come poaching Giro.

Duman can stay on the rookie list for another year.

If we delist/retire 6 players off the main list that gives 33 main listed players. Then we can put 5-7 players onto the main list.

Upgrade 3, add a first draft pick, get Carter and still leaves us 2 late draft picks plus 2 rookie draft picks.
Thanks. From that, I would upgrade Nyhuis. No slap in the face for any player who is being given opportunity which the others clearly are. The Adelaide clubs can come poaching either way.

Simply, we have a better chance of getting the players we want the earlier our picks are. I think we may have seen this with H Brayshaw, Jones and Banfield last year. Two clubs trying to get in front of each other.

Yep. Both our rookie listed players from last year's draft are in our team atm and playing great football. None of our late picks from last year are (atm).

I personally love the psychology of the rookie draft (especially now that they can play anytime you want them to). If the recruiters pick guys with the right attitude they work extra hard to prove themselves, they are loyal (for being given an opportunity) and you can generally at least find great role players who give you value far beyond what you had to spend on them. And in reality the pressure is off because no-one expects too much from them.

I don't think Banfield has got enough love since we haven't needed him to play a tagging role. The guy is only 20yo, he's come in and played every game this season, lining up in the middle a lot, and although he has his limitations he tends to work within them and shows he is an incredibly smart footballer.

That play at the end of the first quarter where Curnow marked on the 50 near the boundary. Banfield runs through the protected area with the Carlton player (so it was legal) but the moment he saw the umpire at CHF put his arms up to call play on he turned around and smothered. Absolutely brilliant work that the moronic commentators got all upset about because they didn't notice the play on call due to the noise of the crowd. Understandably Carlton supporters got upset as well (because they needed some tiny win at that point) but it was clearly play on (watch the replay, it's honestly worth it). Thought it was incredible football sense, and this from a first year rookie! There is gold to be found there I tells ya!

Which of those do you see as best 22? I would assume Conca, Fasolo, Jetta and perhaps even Bolton only come if they are. Hill/Rankine too?
Jetta obviously (Back Pocket), Conca should be as well. (Mid rotation - starting on the bench )
Fasolo needs a clean run injury wise, but will be best 22 if he is fit. (Starting HF)

I think you offer Bolton Ballas spot in the best 22, and assuming he has a good preseason and reasonable form in the NAB cup he starts round 1.

The rest will probably start in the WAFL, but it would be good to look at the Peel team and know if one of our small forwards get injured we have some depth.

Hopefully the other players can put pressure on the best 22 and force there way in, I feel players like McAdams, Bennell, Carter etc will need a couple of preseasons to really be ready but they may surprise me.

Hill or Rankine should be close (Rankine especially), but will probably need to play good WAFL to get a spot or wait for injuries.

Jetta obviously (Back Pocket), Conca should be as well. (Mid rotation - starting on the bench )
Fasolo needs a clean run injury wise, but will be best 22 if he is fit. (Starting HF)

I think you offer Bolton Ballas spot in the best 22, and assuming he has a good preseason and reasonable form in the NAB cup he starts round 1.

The rest will probably start in the WAFL, but it would be good to look at the Peel team and know if one of our small forwards get injured we have some depth.

Hopefully the other players can put pressure on the best 22 and force there way in, I feel players like McAdams, Bennell, Carter etc will need a couple of preseasons to really be ready but they may surprise me.

Hill or Rankine should be close (Rankine especially), but will probably need to play good WAFL to get a spot or wait for injuries.
I'm not saying that they are bad players, but, I am fine with how our backline is structuring up, and would rather Rankine/Hill join the midfield rotations than getting Conca.

In the small forward area we either need elite level, or give trials to Switkowski, Giro and Crowden. Or shuffle Neale.

If we are serious about challenging next year then that strengthens your strategy.

I am sure I will be shouted down about this, but I wonder if we should be exploring trading out 1 (or 2) backline depth. We have our core 4 in the backline of Pearce, Hamling, Wilson and Ryan. We have defenders in Nyhuis, Hughes and Duman to add to that. SHill seems to be a defender now. Kersten is transitioning rather well. Cerra is getting some development time there and Blakely did get development time, but we have seen in the last 2 weeks (I think) that we are a much better team with Connor in the guts.

I think that having all of Nyhuis, Hughes, Duman and Kersten on the list is surplus to requirements. We need to bring in small/medium forwards and this may be a way of getting one with a year or 2 of development.

I am sure I will be shouted down about this, but I wonder if we should be exploring trading out 1 (or 2) backline depth. We have our core 4 in the backline of Pearce, Hamling, Wilson and Ryan. We have defenders in Nyhuis, Hughes and Duman to add to that. SHill seems to be a defender now. Kersten is transitioning rather well. Cerra is getting some development time there and Blakely did get development time, but we have seen in the last 2 weeks (I think) that we are a much better team with Connor in the guts.

I think that having all of Nyhuis, Hughes, Duman and Kersten on the list is surplus to requirements. We need to bring in small/medium forwards and this may be a way of getting one with a year or 2 of development.
I disagree with the principle but lets say the club agrees. We will get precisely SFA for ony of those players. Zero point - much better off with some depth than another pick in the 60s or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back