Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My checklist for 26 old plus recruits is:
1. Are they a A grader?
2. Do they fill a hole in the list?
3. Do they provide leadership ?
4. Do they have a good history with injuries?

Conca is no to all.

Fasolo only provides one.

Jetta is yes to all.

Jetta will be 29 start of next year and don't think he's linked to coming home in the slightest.

29 is starting to push the age limits IMO.

I think we need guys 22-25 that are reasonable and proven to some degree OR 22 and under guys that we think can make an impact.

At over 26 they would need to be very good.

At over 29 they need to come cheap and walk out of their club... at the stage we're at.

I really wouldn't want either.

Fasolo is 27 next year and often injured Conca is 26 next season.

I'd rather just build off what we have and if we need 26 year olds drafted in ...let's do it the season after next when we're at least in contention.
The club has done a great job of recruiting players who will be consistent best 22 for us, and they have targeted areas of weakness. Not fringe, injury prone players. They will stick with that I think.

It's funny - with the new guys showing promise, i'd be hesitant to bring in a player that would potentially delay the development of one of our young bucks unless -
  • they were also a young buck (19-24)
  • and would be best 22
or
  • are slightly older (25-27)
  • and replacing a 30+ player we have
  • would be in the top half of our best 22
  • they don't cost us stupid money that puts us under cap pressure in the future with recontracting our best young bucks

tl;dr; - yes to Hogan, Cripps, Martin, Coniglio; no to J McGovern (cost), Rance (age), or Conca (spud)

Last edited:
It's funny - with the new guys showing promise, i'd be hesitant to bring in a player that would potentially delay the development of one of our young bucks unless -
  • they were also a young buck (19-24)
  • and would be best 22
or
  • are slightly older (25-27)
  • and replacing a 30+ player we have
  • would be in the top half of our best 22
  • they don't cost us stupid money that puts us under cap pressure in the future with recontracting our best young bucks
Where does that put you regarding McGovern?

Where does that put you regarding McGovern?

which one? I'd say no to JMcGov - not enough need for him for what he'd cost. If I had to choose a target, i'd rather splurge on Hogan in 2019 - he's a better age profile for the younger group

Here’s a thought.

Geelong seek Darcy. They need a ruckman.

Would we rid Darcy to gain Kelly and Narkle. Keep in mind Narkle is purely steak knives.

Then find currency to lure English home?

Anyone?

Post reported.

Here’s a thought.

Geelong seek Darcy. They need a ruckman.

Would we rid Darcy to gain Kelly and Narkle. Keep in mind Narkle is purely steak knives.

Then find currency to lure English home?

Anyone, Anyone?
Bueller, Bueller...

No way we farewell Darcy. Lloyd, Bond & RTB were giving each other wet willy’s after they called out his name on draft night.

I’d be willing to throw a 2-year deal at Fasolo as a FA. He’s about 3-4 weeks from a comeback and some decent VFL/AFL form in the back end of the season would be worth considering with his X-factor. Jetta is going nowhere and consistently says he loves Melbourne. Conca - no thanks and also going nowhere. Jez McGovern will stay at WCE but no harm driving his price up.

I’d have another stab at Mitch McGovern. I think he would suit our forward line and we can settle Kersten as a backman.

I think we’d upgrade Duman, Nyhuis & Bailey.

In: Fasolo (FA), M.McGovern (2019 2nd round pick), Duman, Nyhuis, Bailey, 1st Rd Pick, Jason Carter, 5th Round pick

Would be nice to get back into the 2018 2nd or 3rd round but that possibility is dead if we trade for M.McGovern.

If no McGovern deal we trade our 2019 2nd round for 2018 2nd round (or 3rd round for 3rd round).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how alot of people on here were calling Martin a spud not too long ago and now he's sounding like a must target player. He's a very loyal person and as much as I liked the prospect of him before I find it hard to see where he fits into our side now. I think he's someone we definitely have another look at when the 2019 season ends once we know a lot more on where some of the players on our list are at.

I'm starting to think we won't have the number of changes to the list like previous years during the off-season, may primarily just be retirements then refilling those spots.

Johnson and D.Pearce retire.
Sutcliffe looking most likely finished. I don't think anyone will have interest.
Sandi / Bennell will be 50/50s.
Ballantyne & Mundy will definitely go around again.

If Spurr stays fit maybe we could trade him + 5th rounder/Future 4th for Brisbane's 2018 4th rounder.

I’d have another stab at Mitch McGovern. I think he would suit our forward line and we can settle Kersten as a backman.

I think we’d upgrade Duman, Nyhuis & Bailey.

In: Fasolo (FA), M.McGovern (2019 2nd round pick), Duman, Nyhuis, Bailey, 1st Rd Pick, Jason Carter, 5th Round pick

Would be nice to get back into the 2018 2nd or 3rd round but that possibility is dead if we trade for M.McGovern.

If no McGovern deal we trade our 2019 2nd round for 2018 2nd round (or 3rd round for 3rd round).
McGovern would play a similar role to Cam and would cost WAY more than a 2nd rounder. He has 2 years on his contract remaining. It's be at least one first that Adelaide would ask for and rightly so.

Massive no from me.

McGovern would play a similar role to Cam and would cost WAY more than a 2nd rounder. He has 2 years on his contract remaining. It's be at least one first that Adelaide would ask for and rightly so.

Massive no from me.
My max price would be a future 2nd rounder. No deal if they want more. His performances and injury history don’t warrant anything higher. Different player to Cam but that’s my opinion. Cam needs to lead up and be the one kicking I50. You then have the bigger blokes (Apeness/Tabs) and the high flying contested marker in Mitch McGovern and a range of small medium types.

We still need to improve our forward line. We have struggled to score in many games this year and a couple of decent weeks has just postponed the melts for what has been our biggest area of need.

My max price would be a future 2nd rounder. No deal if they want more. His performances and injury history don’t warrant anything higher. Different player to Cam but that’s my opinion. Cam needs to lead up and be the one kicking I50. You then have the bigger blokes (Apeness/Tabs) and the high flying contested marker in Mitch McGovern and a range of small medium types.

We still need to improve our forward line. We have struggled to score in many games this year and a couple of decent weeks has just postponed the melts for what has been our biggest area of need.
I'll happily take him if the price is a future 2nd. No way we get him for that with 2 years on his deal.

The below people are out of contract at the end of year.

Gone
Hayden Ballantyne
Danyle Pearce
Michael Johnson
Cameron Sutcliffe
Lee Spurr

Question Marks on the below players, I expect 3 will leave.

Aaron Sandilands
Tom Sheridan
Harley Bennell
Ethan Hughes
David Mundy - if he wants to go on.
Brady Grey
Michael Apeness
Bailey Banfield
Stefan Giro
Ryan Nyhuis
Taylin Duman
Luke Strnadica

I'm having trouble identifying 3, Brady Gray is in trouble but the rest look safe.

Sheridan, Apeness and Nyhuis have found form at the right time, if it continues they'll all get a 1 or 2 year deal.

Sandilands and Mundy will play on.

I'm having trouble identifying 3, Brady Gray is in trouble but the rest look safe.

Sheridan, Apeness and Nyhuis have found form at the right time, if it continues they'll all get a 1 or 2 year deal.

Maybe Sandi should retire, Grey moved to rookie, Sheridan traded to vic team.

With 13 players there, I expect a few to not be with us next year. I could be wrong

If you look past our very recent good form I think the following players could still be in the gun (in addition to those on your list):

Tom Sheridan
Ryan Nyhuis
Michael Apeness (if he has another long term injury)

In the WAFL:

Ethan Hughes
Luke Strnadica

I also wouldn't be in the least surprised if Jones and Switkowski get demoted to the rookie list.

If you look past our very recent good form I think the following players could still be in the gun (in addition to those on your list):

Tom Sheridan
Ryan Nyhuis
Michael Apeness (if he has another long term injury)

In the WAFL:

Ethan Hughes
Luke Strnadica

I also wouldn't be in the least surprised if Jones and Switkowski get demoted to the rookie list.
Retirements aside, which could be 3-5 players, the only other player that is a definite for me is Sutcliffe.
The list as a whole looks pretty good, injury aside, and how much upside there is?
Massive development, preseason and who knows how fast things could click, I would be very surprised if we didn't
make the bottom 8 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back