Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man. You need players like Brady Grey on your list. He would be in my best 22, full of pace, grunt and venom. Vale Brady, hopefully you'll be back out there soon.

Tabs is the last man standing from Freo's 2010 - 2012 draft class. Harley gets a one year contract extension and has played 2 games for Freo in 3 seasons.

"Effort over results," Must have been the Lyonism rationale? I don't know why Lachie Neale requested a trade but I'm calling bullshit on money. I think he checked out and lost faith in Freo's rebuild.

I reckon one to be cut in order to Draft with first two picks and trade up or it into 2019 with 45 and 65.

Another to be cut to draft nga late if need be
Jones and kersten probably. With kersten to be rerookied

Hope they get a go at another but the fact is they were part of a new fringe and really not in our best 25. With a real effort to give our side quality and new depth going forward this will happen. Will be even more ruthless next year i suspect and again bleeding hearts for awhile.
good lucks fellas and thank you :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Expect a few contracted players to go this week.

39 on main list
2 Rookies (Nads, Giro)

4 picks. 2 NGA's to come.

I just came in here to find out your list status.

So it's potentially:
- 1 main list player delisted
- 1 other main list player rookied or delisted
- Nads delisted

Leaving 37 on main list and 1-2 on the rookie list.

Leaving 3 ND picks and 2-3 RD picks.

I suppose there are a few options, but at a minimum you need to go down to 37 main list spots to allow 3 ND picks or rookie promotions.

I've probably got something wrong. Happy to be corrected.

I just came in here to find out your list status.

So it's potentially:
- 1 main list player delisted
- 1 other main list player rookied or delisted
- Nads delisted

Leaving 37 on main list and 1-2 on the rookie list.

Leaving 3 ND picks and 2-3 RD picks.

I suppose there are a few options, but at a minimum you need to go down to 37 main list spots to allow 3 ND picks or rookie promotions.

I've probably got something wrong. Happy to be corrected.

I think there will be some hard calls, with three to for contracted players cut. Some might be re-rookied.

It depends on if we think out NGA players will make it to the rookie list as Cat B.

I'd cut four and commit to rerookie two. Keep Nads and Giro on rookie list.

My call for cuts Jones, Apeness(r), Ballas, meeks(r) or Kersten(r) or Hughes (r) or Nyhuis (r).

Edit: Other randoms that could happen Sandi retire or Bennell cut and rookied.

This might depend on the cap.

Trade down our pick in the 60's for a future 4th and a pick in the 90-120.

Use 80 & 120 as safety for our NGA players.

Promote best rookie at end of preseason training as reward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why Lachie Neale requested a trade but I'm calling bullshit on money. I think he checked out and lost faith in Freo's rebuild.
Geez he badly misread that then didn't he! We just fixed the most glaring weakness on our list compared to Brisbane who have not progressed at all with the loss of Beams. It may not have been for money, but I am kind of thinking he won't mind the extra $500K next year.

Geez he badly misread that then didn't he! We just fixed the most glaring weakness on our list compared to Brisbane who have not progressed at all with the loss of Beams. It may not have been for money, but I am kind of thinking he won't mind the extra $500K next year.

Lachie was a good player and role model for the club. I don’t begrudge him going for higher $.

He would have been happy as he said to play out his contract, but suited all parties him going this year.

No Lachie to Brisbane >>>> No Hogan to Freo it’s that simple!

I hope the crowd gets behind Lachie when/if Brisbane play in Perth as a sign of respect for what he has done for the club.

Lachie was a good player and role model for the club. I don’t begrudge him going for higher $.

He would have been happy as he said to play out his contract, but suited all parties him going this year.

No Lachie to Brisbane >>>> No Hogan to Freo it’s that simple!

I hope the crowd gets behind Lachie when/if Brisbane play in Perth as a sign of respect for what he has done for the club.
I agree with that but really don't see any need to get behind him. He chose to nurture his inner mercenary, and that negates any feel good stuff from me, especially the "good role model' idea. Personally I would love Banfield to line up on him when we next meet and go hard.

There is a lot of talk on footy boards about the lack of loyalty in the game these days, but I actually think clubs show it. The three players delisted in the last day or so were clear beneficiaries of club loyalty imo. Ballantyne, Apeness, D Pearce as well. When it has been returned in the way that our greats (Sandilands, Pavlich, Mundy etc), then those players rise to legendary status.

It is a long list of players that have been the recipients of club loyalty. It isn't universal and it is at least in part club self-interest, but it is there. Neale was part of the leadership of the club and I struggle to accept someone leaving for what looks pretty simply a money grab. I don't begrudge him making that choice, but that is as generous as I can get. My consolation prize is that I think the list is clearly better than it was pre-trade, and that the role he played is replaceable.

Tabs is the last man standing from Freo's 2010 - 2012 draft class. Harley gets a one year contract extension and has played 2 games for Freo in 3 seasons.

"Effort over results," Must have been the Lyonism rationale? I don't know why Lachie Neale requested a trade but I'm calling bullshit on money. I think he checked out and lost faith in Freo's rebuild.
We have acquired a fair haul from other clubs in those years with Bennell, Conca, hamling, hill, Kersten and Hogan.

2010 and 2011 were ****ed drafting years due to gc and gws

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh man. You need players like Brady Grey on your list. He would be in my best 22, full of pace, grunt and venom. Vale Brady, hopefully you'll be back out there soon.

I love Brady grunt and venom, the problem is that he butchered the ball every time he got it, to the point where he becomes a negative on the team. Unfortunately in todays footy possession is key and he just didnt have the skills for AFL.

I love Brady grunt and venom, the problem is that he butchered the ball every time he got it, to the point where he becomes a negative on the team. Unfortunately in todays footy possession is key and he just didnt have the skills for AFL.
One of the be proponents of the short handpass. Love his effort in his final game for us. He won a contest that he had no right to win.

I agree with that but really don't see any need to get behind him. He chose to nurture his inner mercenary, and that negates any feel good stuff from me, especially the "good role model' idea. Personally I would love Banfield to line up on him when we next meet and go hard.

There is a lot of talk on footy boards about the lack of loyalty in the game these days, but I actually think clubs show it. The three players delisted in the last day or so were clear beneficiaries of club loyalty imo. Ballantyne, Apeness, D Pearce as well. When it has been returned in the way that our greats (Sandilands, Pavlich, Mundy etc), then those players rise to legendary status.

It is a long list of players that have been the recipients of club loyalty. It isn't universal and it is at least in part club self-interest, but it is there. Neale was part of the leadership of the club and I struggle to accept someone leaving for what looks pretty simply a money grab. I don't begrudge him making that choice, but that is as generous as I can get. My consolation prize is that I think the list is clearly better than it was pre-trade, and that the role he played is replaceable.

Not sure how loyalty comes into it with Neale and the club. He would still be in Purple except the club traded him for Hogan. He didn't just pack his bag and leave us, he was in contract and would have stayed for 2019.

His last contract with us was written some years ago and in the interim he worked his arse off for us, earning B&f's, breaking AFL records, became a club leader, took a draftee into his house from (dodgy) memory. At the time his contract was written, it was probably fair value, but in the interim his worth on the market has shot right up, we could have recontracted him and upped his salary along the way in good faith, yet we didn't.

He hasn't missed out on the price of a cup of coffee, his value is hundreds of thousands per year greater than his contract. That's a lot of moolah to miss out on. The contract was written in good faith and adhered to by both parties, he has no cause to feel aggrieved, but was entitled to a few feelings at not getting paid closer to his worth - it is something that most people would feel except for enlightened budhist monks that eschew the trappings of this world and a few others.

Good luck to him, he worked hard for us and I'll always be thankful for his efforts.

I'll take that as a case of the usual suppoorters over-emotive exaggeration. He may not have been described as silky in any universe, but he could be servicable with his skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back