2018 List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell. I guess if Davey has walked out that means the club fired keeping and he didn't resign due to health concerns or somesuch. The players can openly revolt as they are no longer under contract. We've really screwed this up if we fired keeping and dissilusioned half the team. They can go walk to North or Geelong if they want and we can't stop them.

Absolute cluster *. The club has really made some errors of the past couple of years and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Wow, may as well hand back the keys. IMO, Keeping was more of a mentor and not a coach, the girls obviously like him, but our game plan was at its best, very ordinary. We hired 2 x big guns and to do that we gave away some heart and soul. The girls may have taken from that, that they are just pawn pieces, example being Bianca Jakobson, who was absolutely over the moon to be selected a Blue, being the club she grew up supporting, only to be traded to Melbourne where she has been solid for them down back.
For Davey to come out and say she wants to leave on the back of Keeping going is really disappointing for your captain to desert a sinking ship, she should be trying to rally the troops, this is why she was selected as captain.
I have no inside knowledge, so this is purely from the outside looking in. Really disappointed with the way this has panned out for the club.

Downie and Pound are better kicks and Gillespie-Jones can hoof it just as far. Something's going to give in that defensive unit, and at present we've got to give up 100 points worth of players at 10-50 points per player.

At 24, and on the short end of the scale for her role, it might be best to get her signed elsewhere if she's worth 50 points.

Who are your suggestions for expansion signings? As I said before, every player is worth between 10 and 50 points, 100 points is the requirement, and a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 players must be moved on to expansion teams (Geelong & North).
So how many points is our Captain worth?

Edit: Scratch that did not realise the system had already been changed.

Last year we lost a player to Melbourne that we really wanted to keep because the AFL thought we had too many good players. Result after injury to our captain is a lack of depth and a dreaded wooden spoon.

Losing our captain to an expansion club or any other club will hurt - but if her heart is really not in it I would prefer she goes. Very disappointing to hear that your Captain wants out but best she goes if she is not prepared to do the hard work of leading and improving our team, shows a real lack of internal fortitude.

Last edited:
I wrote the 3 plus heaps of picks for 2 "gun" players was a bit too much and I think I've been vindicated. Bianca has starred for Melbourne this year also.

With the captain leaving and we potentially receiving nothing for her, I reckon its safe to say we have failed as an aflw club. Heads should keep rolling.

Dire warnings from this article: http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...poor-management-threatens-aflw-existence.html (ignore the sensationalist headline)

Rubbish article.

I didn't read beyond the line that Gillespie-Jones was the flop of the 2016 draft.

Did the 'journalist' mention that at least one player picked prior is no longer even in the AFL system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish article.

I didn't read beyond the line that Gillespie-Jones was the flop of the 2016 draft.

Did the 'journalist' mention that at least one player picked prior is no longer even in the AFL system?

As ugly as the article is, it doesn't paint a pretty picture. i don't agree with what he has said about Gillespie-Jones but for a fair part of the article if 50% of it is true it really leaves a sour taste in your mouth

As ugly as the article is, it doesn't paint a pretty picture. i don't agree with what he has said about Gillespie-Jones but for a fair part of the article if 50% of it is true it really leaves a sour taste in your mouth

We just finished last and sacked our coach - of course its not a pretty picture at the moment! We had a shocking season for a number of reasons, the fall out from which has been and will be significant.

But things can and do change very quickly. The Dogs won the wooden spoon last year and they're playing off in the grand final this weekend.

I am not suggesting the same will happen to us next year, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. The title of that article should have been fair warning that the article wasn't going to be a great one, and it read more like the frustration of a despairing fan rather than a credible analysis. Which is fine, he's entitled to write that but it should be taken for what it is and nothing more.

The Gillespie-Jones line was an absolute shocker and, as I said, I didn't bother reading further.

We just finished last and sacked our coach - of course its not a pretty picture at the moment! We had a shocking season for a number of reasons, the fall out from which has been and will be significant.

But things can and do change very quickly. The Dogs won the wooden spoon last year and they're playing off in the grand final this weekend.

I am not suggesting the same will happen to us next year, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. The title of that article should have been fair warning that the article wasn't going to be a great one, and it read more like the frustration of a despairing fan rather than a credible analysis. Which is fine, he's entitled to write that but it should be taken for what it is and nothing more.

The Gillespie-Jones line was an absolute shocker and, as I said, I didn't bother reading further.

Disregard that line and read further. Yep, easy to kick us when we are down and I don't know enough about Women's football to have an opinion of whether we made the right selections or not, but, if it is as he has explained it, it's ugly.
We didn't draft a strong midfield in our first year and we didn't rectify that in the draft this year is basically what he is saying as well as broken promises? The talent pool will be thinner next year, so I hope they have someone looking at junior teams for some stars coming through.

I'm more concerned regarding Brianna Davey wanting out, if the foundation is sound, losing your coach should not be a valid enough reason for your captain wanting out. This doesn't appear to be an ordinary poor finish, sack the coach and let's move forward, it just feels uglier.

We didn't draft a strong midfield in our first year and we didn't rectify that in the draft this year is basically what he is saying as well as broken promises?

Our midfield still needs to be worked on, but aside from Harris every move we made over the off-season was designed to bolster the midfield heading into this season.

We trade for Stevens who can play through the midfield, and who can also allow Davey to push into the middle.

Jess Hosking returned after missing all of last year with injury.

We recruited Gay, Harrington and Li who all played seniors and had an immediate impact in the midfield, and we drafted Gee, Kennedy, Hicks, Grieve and Cochran as longer term prospects who all played midfield before joining the AFL system.

Some of the moves we've made clearly haven't worked, and not all of the above names will make it long-term, but to suggest we didn't at least try to rectify the issue is a fallacy.

Bloody hell. I guess if Davey has walked out that means the club fired keeping and he didn't resign due to health concerns or somesuch. The players can openly revolt as they are no longer under contract. We've really screwed this up if we fired keeping and dissilusioned half the team. They can go walk to North or Geelong if they want and we can't stop them.
The short-term contracts allow for this sort of soccer-club sensationalism with a change of coach. Players can and will be walked down once a new plan is in place.

Anyone with a half a clue about football knew that Keeping was cooked, and all I hope is that the club offered him a chance to be a senior assistant before parting ways. He obviously managed the players well, but his tactics were ancient and his influence over midfield play was appalling.

I wrote the 3 plus heaps of picks for 2 "gun" players was a bit too much and I think I've been vindicated. Bianca has starred for Melbourne this year also.

With the captain leaving and we potentially receiving nothing for her, I reckon its safe to say we have failed as an aflw club. Heads should keep rolling.
Jakkobsen has been pretty average, just helping setup the rebound off HB mostly.

Probably not the thread for it, but really impressed by Tayla's growth as an individual this year. She didn't come across as the brightest spark in 2017, but clearly she's got the mindset and work ethic to advance herself in many areas of life. :thumbsu:

Good riddance is she has gone. Club recruit her as a marquee player, develop, make her captain, look after her when she does her knee. Then she turns around and leaves? Don't want people like that at Carlton, even if it's just an aflw player.

Were those fake tears in her recent video......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back