2018 List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we'll find a Chloe Molloy like gun in the draft.

If we don't trade out our picks that is.
I'm thinking we can find 3 guns and then get a good mature age player. One decent free agent and then that Irish convert, and we're back in business.

Looks like our highest pick is #3. Geelong are getting 1 & 2. WB or Coll to get a first round compo given that Norths first pick is #12.

So the order probably goes:

1 Geelong
2 Geelong
3 Carlton
4 Freo
5 Collingwood
6 Adelaide
7 Giants
8 Melbourne
9 Brisbane
10 Bulldogs
11 ??? (WB or Col or even BL)
12 Tassie Kangaroos
13 ???
and then... will they do the snaking ladder?

DdyP_PlV0AAAH7Y.jpg:large

DdyQgf1VAAEZ14A.jpg:large

Full Order
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-22/aflw-cats-to-get-first-two-picks-in-draft

Selection order for the 2018 NAB AFL Women's Draft
ROUND ONE
1 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
2 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
3 Carlton
4 Fremantle
5 Collingwood
6 Adelaide
7 GWS Giants
8 Melbourne
9 Brisbane Lions
10 Western Bulldogs
11 Geelong Cats
12 North Melbourne

ROUND TWO
13 Collingwood (compensation pick)
14 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
15 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
16 Carlton
17 Fremantle
18 Collingwood
19 Adelaide
20 GWS Giants
21 Melbourne
22 Brisbane Lions
23 Western Bulldogs
24 Geelong Cats
25 North Melbourne

ROUND THREE
26 Western Bulldogs (compensation pick)
27 Carlton
28 Fremantle
29 Collingwood
30 Adelaide
31 GWS Giants
32 Melbourne
33 Brisbane Lions
34 Western Bulldogs
35 Geelong Cats
36 North Melbourne

ROUND FOUR
37 Melbourne (compensation pick)
38 Carlton
39 Fremantle
40 Collingwood
41 Adelaide
42 GWS Giants
43 Melbourne
44 Brisbane Lions
45 Western Bulldogs
46 Geelong Cats
47 North Melbourne

ROUND FIVE
48 Carlton (compensation pick)
49 Carlton
50 Fremantle
51 Collingwood
52 Adelaide
53 GWS Giants
54 Melbourne
55 Brisbane Lions
56 Western Bulldogs
57 Geelong Cats
58 North Melbourne

Geelong evidently got 4 picks at the top because they couldnt rob the other clubs blind as well as North did. Im not kidding.
I know why it happened, I'm more concerned that it happened to that extent. It should have been one second round compensation.

A reminder that you can safely ignore Adelaide, Brisbane, Freo and the Giants from the draft, unless a pick or two is traded from them (unlikely) the Vic teams are in our own draft pool.

So Geelong have 4 picks inside the (actual) top 12.

A reminder that you can safely ignore Adelaide, Brisbane, Freo and the Giants from the draft, unless a pick or two is traded from them (unlikely) the Vic teams are in our own draft pool.

So Geelong have 4 picks inside the (actual) top 12.
11, or another way to look at it is they have three four top 10 picks.

EDIT: Holy s**t, drunkill, Geelong have another pick at the bottom of the first round that we've missed...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, with the sign and trade period under way, here's what I want to see from the remainder of our list:

Sign immediately: Downie, Gay, Harringston, S.Hosking, J.Hosking, Moody, Loynes, Gee, Li, Brazzale, Hicks, Kennedy, Cochrane, Grieve (r, maybe elevate)
(Already signed: Stevens, Davey, Vescio, Harris)

Definitely Release: Keryk, Webb (r), Plane, Last, Attard
(Already signed elsewhere: Arnell, Hardiman, Gillespie-Jones)

Probably release: Audley, Lucas-Rodd, Shierlaw, Cochrane (r)

Optimal changes: 12

Ready-made, quality players required: KPF (3rd round, mature), KPD (FA, mature), elite running defender or midfielder (top 3 pick), quick small forward (2nd round youth or 4th round mature)

Further free agents/pre-signings: 1x KPD, 1x KPF, 2x elite runner

Optimal changes: 6 draftees, 5 free agents/code hoppers, 1 rookie

Projected 22:

FB: Pound Downie
HB: Stevens <KPD> <running mid>
C: Gay S.Hosking Harrington
HF: Vescio Harris Gee
FF: <FP> <FF>

R: Moody Davey Loynes

Int: J.Hosking, Li, <running mid>, <athletic utility>

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know.

I mean, she's free to move, but it really sucks considering we brought her into footy. I guess she is getting offered a pay rise at Melbourne.

Don't know.

I mean, she's free to move, but it really sucks considering we brought her into footy. I guess she is getting offered a pay rise at Melbourne.
She's in the top half of our list and showed plenty of growth in her first season; absolute madness if they let her walk in the current climate.

I'm not sure if we are the joke or the whole AFLW is a ******* joke. I'm going with a bit of both.

If players are going to be able to just move from clubs so easily the comp has no chance of ever having any credibility.

At the moment with 1 year contracts, the players have all the power.

Hopefully in 2020, once basically all the teams are in and when the season is longer (if they don't go the horrid division/split competition route), contracts can be lengthened.

At the moment with 1 year contracts, the players have all the power.

Hopefully in 2020, once basically all the teams are in and when the season is longer (if they don't go the horrid division/split competition route), contracts can be lengthened.
Yes. One year contracts suck. It's a team game. You have to be able to build a team. Takes more than one season.

I'm not sure if we are the joke or the whole AFLW is a ******* joke. I'm going with a bit of both.

If players are going to be able to just move from clubs so easily the comp has no chance of ever having any credibility.
Its a natural consequence of having part time footballers. You cannot realistically have a short season, part time pay, but expect them to commit to contracts that tie them up for years. At the moment, its only a short step up from amateurs where players can go wherever they want. If the league and clubs (and fans), want more commitment and more certainty, they need longer contracts, and for that, they need more than part time pay and a 8 week season.

Its a natural consequence of having part time footballers. You cannot realistically have a short season, part time pay, but expect them to commit to contracts that tie them up for years. At the moment, its only a short step up from amateurs where players can go wherever they want. If the league and clubs (and fans), want more commitment and more certainty, they need longer contracts, and for that, they need more than part time pay and a 8 week season.

The league can't handle what it has now. Having players flip flopping around clubs as is happening isn't condusive to building fan base that cares. What happens when a Vescio or Davey leaves the club? How many kids will lose interest if their favourite players just keep swithing sides all the time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back