Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
View attachment 737537

Here is mine from the AFL website, can I see the one you have right now that says pick 4 Adelaide?

Sure, that is locked in stone is it? This the AFL, they make up rules on the run.

Lots of water to flow.
You should know, remember when head office stripped you of 2 1st rounders after the season ended.
AFL will engineer Rowell and Anderson to GC, media leaks have sad as much.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sure, that is locked in stone is it? This the AFL, they make up rules on the run.

Lots of water to flow.
You should know, remember when head office stripped you of 2 1st rounders after the season ended.
AFL will engineer Rowell and Anderson to GC, media leaks have sad as much.

So you actually have nothing? The proof is at the moment we have pick 3 not pick 4. It might change later but you actually have no idea so probably best to just stick to the facts:thumbsu:

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So you actually have nothing? The proof is at the moment we have pick 3 not pick 4. It might change later but you actually have no idea so probably best to just stick to the facts:thumbsu:

You know the AFL leaks to the media? Yes?

You know the story was planted this past week to multiple outlets.

1 - Gold Coast
2 - Gold Coast
3 - Melbourne
4 - Adelaide

If Melbourne bid on Tom Green then your pick goes to 5.
No one is getting Green other than GWS.

Adelaide would still be getting the 3rd or 4th best player available.

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pick 4? When did that happen?

Why swap 1 pick for 2! Is that your question? They swapped pick 19 and have now received pick 3.

If they swap that for 2 picks at around 10-14 then they have done a great job. They obviously didn’t rate stocker and nailed another great trade with GWS pretty much straight after.

It’s going to happen, a blind man could see that, you really think the AFL are going to pass up this opportunity to give there product a massive leg up, with two elite young midfield talents who happen to be be best mates, which will go a ways to help GCS retain them, it’s not fair, but it’s happening.

The point I was making was why do a trade to move up to the pointy end of the draft, only to spilt that high pick, into picks around what you originally had and one of the picks in a much stronger draft.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
We’ve been doing it for years though. We haven’t changed since the days of Neil Craig. System, continuity and experience is what matters. You don’t need talent if you nail those 3, 22 grunts that know their roles = success. You don’t coach to counteract opposition strengths, you just “play our way”. Pyke is a pure disciple of Neil. We do not give our kids a chance because we’d rather see Mackay and Douglas provide another pure 3/10 game. But, the great thing is that we knew they’d provide exactly that. Continuity is king.
I’ve lost the plot...had a big gig last nights and 4 hours sleep at best..I think I’m a little off track of the conversation/thread sorry.
I can see how you’d be frustrated though. Even for an opposition supporter like myself and seeing your teams each week was more often than not a head scratcher.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
There was something through the week via media were it was mentioned the PP situation would be announced during grand final week.
I wouldn’t say categorically that the suns are getting one but I can’t help but feel that we’ve been primed for it to happen. And to be announced during GF week will smother a lot of noise...not so much what will go down in Adelaide though (or on here) if it does.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dude, GC Will get a PP at pick 1. As much as they shouldn't, and as much as it would be a slap in the face to Brisbane and Carlton for it to happen, the AFL is not a fair organization. Its ran on a spur of the moment mentality and exists to protect northern and Victorian clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
so the very simple question is - why didn't carlton just keep their mature age pick and pick 13 (they would have only needed tip in a later pick to satisfy Sydney)?

The imaginary pick that Carlton didn’t have? The Swans were after points Carlton didn’t have. It worked out a good trade for both clubs. The Crows got the high pick they were demanding and all the Blues gave up for their man was an unwanted state pick and some second rounder crumbs leftover from the Gibbs trade.

The Stocker deal been an interesting introduction to Live trading. A bit of a non-event a year later, with the numbers kinda evening out, but no doubt we’ll be seeing more and more of this in coming seasons.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Dude, GC Will get a PP at pick 1. As much as they shouldn't, and as much as it would be a slap in the face to Brisbane and Carlton for it to happen, the AFL is not a fair organization. Its ran on a spur of the moment mentality and exists to protect northern and Victorian clubs.
Just look at what the AFL did to Adelaide over Tippet to what they did to Melbourne for match fixing to get a PP.
Thats all you need to remember.
If they’re looking after Victorian clubs than why didn’t Carlton get a PP pick? We’ve been worse than them in recent years.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Great move by Reid, Carlton will now be getting pick 10 or 11:thumbsu:
Irrelevant really.. firstly we will be trading it anyway. And secondly at that point in the draft club boards are starting to differentiate so there's not much difference between 10 and 11 but 3 and 4 could be huge.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

SOS the Boss !!!
images

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Was Stocker worth this?

Honest question, because I haven't seen him play much and don't know anything about him except when I have heard commentators say he has potential.

Who knows, too early in his career to tell - we're still going purely on potential right now.

And hypothetically if we trade pick 9 for Papley, it's pick 4 for Stocker & Papley. Happy enough with that.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Was Stocker worth this?

Honest question, because I haven't seen him play much and don't know anything about him except when I have heard commentators say he has potential.
Seems to have all the footy ability needed to make it at AFL, but his tank is well and truely behind whats needed of him to showcase it. Already been spotted at Ikon park doing laps himself the other day so hopefully we can see some more of him next season if he gets his endurance up to par. Can kick 60m either foot and has done a few kicks that make you think wow he could be something... but he only gets it 10-15 times a game and looks pretty puffed defensively.

Too early to know but if he gets his tank better we will know more definitively... but he may never build a good enough tank to make it as a mid. Skills wise havent seen any weaknesses, can mark, super penetrating kick, clean hands and seems to read the play really well.

Really just depends on whether or not his tank lets him use his weapons enough times each game to make him a gun, reminds me a bit of hodge early days but he made some serious strides to ending up the player he became

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah forget the draft points, this trade came out pretty even in terms of raw draft picks.

The real question moving forward will be about the players each club ends up with and Stocker aside, that’s all pretty much now independent of the actual trade, as the Crows could never get Papley (if that eventuates) and Carlton may have done something different had they retained pick 4.

Good luck Crows, it’s been fun.

Back