Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
You're being disingenuous. We think he will be more than a role player.

We will try to trade our first pick anyway.

We’re set for young talent. A pick downgrade does little for us, and we’re absolutely no guarantee to retain the pick anyway. 12 months development into an extra first round mid is the part of this trade that continues to be overlooked.

Our midfield is currently the worst in the league and the aim this trade and trade period was to add extra players in this area, as realistically going forward all we’ve got for young talented mids are Dow, Fisher and SPS, and the latter two aren’t guaranteed to be playing as permanent midfielders.

Adding Walsh, Setterfield and Stocker does far more for us than a (hypothetical) Top 4 Pick in a weaker draft pool.

dozens of times i have read "we carlton will trade our first pick".

we are in trade week (or pre-draft week, whatever this is) - Who are they going to trade the Adelaide first round draft pick (owned by Carlton) for? Jack Martin, Butler, Papley, Betts, other? Fascinating period coming up

Good luck to Stocker. Seems like a good bloke for all accounts Ive hard hope has a huge season.

"we will trade our first pick anyway" is what I keep hearing.
So wouldnt that be worth more if it was 1 rather than say 12-14?

Its amazing how many ways blues fans can defend this trade.

The "oh well we didnt want our pick 1 anyway" is the best of them.

Yes, this is a point that may have been overlooked.

The (original)Carlton pick is worth a lot more on the trade market than the (original)Adelaide pick

Are we now in Year 2, of phase 2, of the SOS master-plan?

Last edited:

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide looking to turn pick 4 into three first rounders. Good business.

Will all depend on the players chosen but turning 1 first rounder into 3 is good business

330A41B9-9ACE-4DE0-B274-F68C6032DC67.jpeg

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Will all depend on the players chosen but turning 1 first rounder into 3 is good business

View attachment 761653
Agree. Just like the Carlton trade for them, a lot will depend on how Stocker turns out. Not looking like the sixth best in last year’s draft at this stage, but also getting Papley will make them feel better.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. Perhaps that’s why it didn’t go ahead.
Will be interesting to see where the Crows net out with that pick. I still think they will trade it on.
That would make last years trade pointless, they gave up a pick 18 to get higher this year to trade back down will have meant they risked a huge loss for nothing.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
That would make last years trade pointless, they gave up a pick 18 to get higher this year to trade back down will have meant they risked a huge loss for nothing.

Who knows eh? Speculation it included next year’s first but you heard it didn’t. Who knows who is right. Fact is they still have pick 4 to trade. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Sounds like there is high demand for pick 3 and 4 this year, so a split of picks may still be on the cards for the Crows.

I also don’t think any club would be too worried about missing out on Stocker at this stage.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Who knows eh? Speculation it included next year’s first but you heard it didn’t. Who knows who is right. Fact is they still have pick 4 to trade. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Sounds like there is high demand for pick 3 and 4 this year, so a split of picks may still be on the cards for the Crows.

I also don’t think any club would be too worried about missing out on Stocker at this stage.
The only ones who want pick 3/4 is gws because green will be bid on after the top 2, they would be giving up another pick for nothing if they traded with adelaide and melbourne bid on green.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

So your calling Stocker a bust, is that right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

richmond won the flag stocker is cool but he isnt a massive miss

gws are pretty stacked , stocker might be good back up but they have other good kids outside the 22

wce also stacked + kelly

pies good midfield already

cats: good mid core and several options

etc.

Im not a Stocker expert but i expect like many first year players his outlook is pretty unknown at this point

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
So your calling Stocker a bust, is that right?
Read my post. I don’t think any club would be kicking themselves about not trading for Stocker.

My view on Liam hasn’t changed. Seems a likely Bastinac type. Although his first year hasn’t been as productive as Ryan’s.

Last edited:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
If Adelaide get 3 firsts then legit they have won this trade so hard. Doesn't mean that Carlton have screwed themselves, they may still turn out to be winners as well depending on Stocker and what they get with Adelaide's first this year.

Though I will say its a fortunate set of circumstances for Adelaide. I doubt they knew that GWS would have an academy pick that would fall just into this range where they would have an opportunity to get a trade that would normally be quite one sided but works out purely because of the academy points system and GWS's desire to prioritise 2 more elite talents rather than having a few decent picks but not as early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back