Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you ever actually watched him play?
He is actually a really solid kick and an excellent decision maker.

He is never going to kick lace out 60m passes but he is more than capable of making the grade.

There are a hell of a lot of AFL listed footballers that are much worse kicks than him.
Many, many times. He's a poor kick of the football and having talked to recruiters about him, they all say the same thing: that he is a poor kick.

Ryan Lim and Ben Sokol from the WAFL. Alex Boyse and Nick Hind from VFL?

Sokol is an interesting one. Very Brett Ebert / Ben Saunders like in that he is an undersized key forward with great goal sense and an awesome kick on him. Pace, agility and pressure I'm not quit sure is AFL-standard yet, but has taken some big steps forward and really established himself as a top level senior WAFL player so you never know if that trajectory continues.

Oliver Eastland from Claremont is one I'll watch with interest when I can. Was 194cm ruck/forward last year in the 18's and has made the transition up to league immediately. Looks very coordinated, his skills genuinely stand out and seems to have good game sense. Fairly skinny but has had no trouble finding his feet this year against men.

Frankly from what I've heard the rubbish that was posted about Schloithe on the previous page was exactly that. He'll be back in the AFL next year.

Cody Leggett playing well for perth at the moment.

Needs to keep producing but is building nicely as a tall utility/midfielder for Perth in the WAFL

Is Marty Hore good enough to earn an AFL spot? He looks the goods at VFL level but I'm wondering how you'd think he'd go in an AFL system.

Is Marty Hore good enough to earn an AFL spot? He looks the goods at VFL level but I'm wondering how you'd think he'd go in an AFL system.
Had been inconsistent before last year but I rate him as highly as any potential HB. If he can replicate that form I can't see why not. Rate him much higher than Rupert Wills, who got drafted from Collingwood VFL.

Without being disrespectful to the NEAFL guys but they (Thurlow & Spencer) would need to be seriously dominating all the stats as ruckmen to even be considered for an AFL list again. Dominating the hitouts but that would be it.

I liked Hammelmann at Brisbane. Old fashioned lead & mark forward who at 22, still has time on his side. Should get drafted again.

Mitch Grigg will never amount to anything more than a great state league player. Doesn't want to push himself anymore than he has too.
Mitch Grigg has all the ability to be an AFL player. His ability to send a flat lazer left foot kick of the ball right down a leading forwards throat is crazy good. He is juat lazy and doesnt like the hard work. He is one of the best players in the SANFL and is carrying 8 kgs more than he should be.

Sokol is an interesting one. Very Brett Ebert / Ben Saunders like in that he is an undersized key forward with great goal sense and an awesome kick on him. Pace, agility and pressure I'm not quit sure is AFL-standard yet, but has taken some big steps forward and really established himself as a top level senior WAFL player so you never know if that trajectory continues.

Oliver Eastland from Claremont is one I'll watch with interest when I can. Was 194cm ruck/forward last year in the 18's and has made the transition up to league immediately. Looks very coordinated, his skills genuinely stand out and seems to have good game sense. Fairly skinny but has had no trouble finding his feet this year against men.

Frankly from what I've heard the rubbish that was posted about Schloithe on the previous page was exactly that. He'll be back in the AFL next year.

After dominating in 2016, then winning the Sandover medal in 2017. He should have found himself on a list in '18

Hammelmann had plenty of chances at AFL level and was miles off it. I haven't followed him since but he'd need to have improved significantly to add any value.

Close on the other hand was decent enough and stiff to miss out. He would be doing as much if not more than Josh Walker is currently doing for us atm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Collins for Werribee had a very good game last week in defence, Looked a clear level above against a strong Richmond reserves side
194cm 97 kgs
Played for Freo, got cut. Doesn't offer enough on the counter.

Many, many times. He's a poor kick of the football and having talked to recruiters about him, they all say the same thing: that he is a poor kick.
There is a role in AFL teams for players who can dominate inside the contest like Hanson does. There are players of similar skill level doing it at the moment. He should've been drafted a few years ago, recruiters have overanalysed him and missed a good one.

Bewley was a good suggestion earlier in the thread.

There is a role in AFL teams for players who can dominate inside the contest like Hanson does. There are players of similar skill level doing it at the moment. He should've been drafted a few years ago, recruiters have overanalysed him and missed a good one.

At 23, his time is now though. Having been discussing with eth-dog (who was a seriously big advocate of Matt at one stage) his kicking was always a let down. In todays game, a 23 year old inside midfielder with poor foot skills is not going to be given an opportunity unless he is a clear and away level above the one he is at, to which Matt is not. He does enough to stand out but never dominates games like Josh Kennedy did for Sydney last week (fairly comparative now that I think about it).

Recruiters want to see a second year of Bewley playing good football hence being overlooked. He made leaps and bounds last year.

Hanson, as Yoda said, was one of my favourites 2-3 years ago. But recruiters think that his kicking would be exposed at AFL level on the spread, which I can't argue with quite frankly.

why hasn’t Shane Nelson been picked up the bloke can play footy

Have heard a theory that early days (when he was draft age) he wasn't willing to give up motorcross. Honestly don't know the whole story though, probably more likely that AFL recruiters weren't a fan of his size and limited athleticism but geez his performances over a period of five or six years more than warrant a shot.

In a Draft that suppose lack Depth I say he be a Chance

Adam Sambono from the NT Thunder will be looked at closely again.

I like Sambono but the concerns clubs will have (apart from his slight frame) will be around his ability to transition into an AFL lifestyle and staying north with the Thunder won't dispel that. He realistically probably needs to play 1/2 seasons in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL before clubs will take a risk on him. But i can see the ability there.

Snoop on our board said he has a really bad attitude.
Yeah that's been the word since his drsft year aswell. From memory he had a bad fall out with a WAFL club aswell.

I like Sambono but the concerns clubs will have (apart from his slight frame) will be around his ability to transition into an AFL lifestyle and staying north with the Thunder won't dispel that. He realistically probably needs to play 1/2 seasons in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL before clubs will take a risk on him. But i can see the ability there.

Agreed on both points. I think he has come on in leaps and bounds in regards to the second point. It would be nice to see him move to Vic/Wa/Sa if he isn't drafted this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back