Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that what Hayden said or no drinking at all in the 7 days that RTB said in his interview today? Honestly I've had to go find it and after reading the transcript RTB was spinning his wheels so much I'm still not sure what he was saying.

It really is in-season, basically, a seven-day policy. It’s a short break and injury and clearly it’s post-game and leading into the next game, whether it’s a normal break or short break

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/80b19844f62d654b6d1846993987f4e7

If you look at one of the replies to what Ballas tweeted, he gets asked if he will partake in a glass of red wine - and he replies he might after a win against the Roos on Sunday.

If there is a blanket zero alcohol policy, I think Ballas would be in trouble saying that.

The way the news has come out about Jesse makes it sound as though he turned up and was visibly too pissed to train and sent away, but it could be that the club had been monitoring his behaviours, had known about his actions on Saturday night and conducted their own testing on Sunday before making the decision to make him unavailable for selection for Round 1.

If you look at one of the replies to what Ballas tweeted, he gets asked if he will partake in a glass of red wine - and he replies he might after a win against the Roos on Sunday.

If there is a blanket zero alcohol policy, I think Ballas would be in trouble saying that.

The way the news has come out about Jesse makes it sound as though he turned up and was visibly too pissed to train and sent away, but it could be that the club had been monitoring his behaviours, had known about his actions on Saturday night and conducted their own testing on Sunday before making the decision to make him unavailable for selection for Round 1.
I think you're adding to the spin of the club changing it's mind every 5 minutes so no one knows what's going on or what is acceptable.

It really is in-season, basically, a seven-day policy. That to me is that no drinking in season. If RTB and the players have no idea what the policy is everyone just does what they want. Go ahead and have a glass of wine Ballas and get dropped I say.

The way Liam Ryan was treated by the media after apparently suffering from a mental issue when he transgressed and the way Jesse has been treated is chalk and cheese. None of the rumours surrounding Ryan were touched but Jesse has been open slather by Hackdorn, Basil, Hardie and Co. It's been sickening the way they have gleefully reported Jesse's problems.

The way Liam Ryan was treated by the media after apparently suffering from a mental issue when he transgressed and the way Jesse has been treated is chalk and cheese. None of the rumours surrounding Ryan were touched but Jesse has been open slather by Hackdorn, Basil, Hardie and Co. It's been sickening the way they have gleefully reported Jesse's problems.
Its not about Jesse though. This is against Ross. They all hate him and anything they can do to smear his name they will jump on irrespective of the damage it may do to other individuals.

They are the algae that sticks to bottom feeders.

I think you're adding to the spin of the club changing it's mind every 5 minutes so no one knows what's going on or what is acceptable.

It really is in-season, basically, a seven-day policy. That to me is that no drinking in season. If RTB and the players have no idea what the policy is everyone just does what they want. Go ahead and have a glass of wine Ballas and get dropped I say.
Did you listen to the link? Ballas explains what it means

No drinking in rehab (unless super long term) and no drinking on short turnarounds (6 day breaks)

Otherwise you are allowed to with a common sense rule applied

FFS I am so over this BS where some idiot in the media mixes words around (or just outright lies) to try and create a negative narrative and then people stupidly get into an argument over semantics relating to it.

THE POLICY HAS NOT CHANGED. That is the important thing. The media were trying to make it out as if Freo had changed their policy because it was such a major issue for the club. Freo has a very clear policy that you can have a drink if it is a 7 day break. However their expectation is that players will still be responsible. So sure you can have a beer with you family visiting from over East, but don't go out to 5am downing dozens of shots. If it's 6 days then it is ZERO TOLERANCE.

Please for the love of god please don't give the media relevance when they post utter crap like that. They are supposed to present the facts. Now all we get is a bunch of opinionated drivel no better than what we see on social media. Journalism is dead people.

Its not about Jesse though. This is against Ross. They all hate him and anything they can do to smear his name they will jump on irrespective of the damage it may do to other individuals.

It's all been about Jesse and it's disgraceful. They have short memories , have they forgotten what happened with Shane.

FFS I am so over this BS where some idiot in the media mixes words around (or just outright lies) to try and create a negative narrative and then people stupidly get into an argument over semantics relating to it.

THE POLICY HAS NOT CHANGED. That is the important thing. The media were trying to make it out as if Freo had changed their policy because it was such a major issue for the club. Freo has a very clear policy that you can have a drink if it is a 7 day break. However their expectation is that players will still be responsible. So sure you can have a beer with you family visiting from over East, but don't go out to 5am downing dozens of shots. If it's 6 days then it is ZERO TOLERANCE.

Please for the love of god please don't give the media relevance when they post utter crap like that. They are supposed to present the facts. Now all we get is a bunch of opinionated drivel no better than what we see on social media. Journalism is dead people.

Those with an axe to grind don't want to here facts

He also said it was the same policy that they've had in the past, so If there was a 7 day no drink policy, then they wouldn't have to bother emphasising that the reason Cox and Ryan were dropped for a game late in 2017 was because of having a drink during a 6 day break.

On that occasion the captain also made it clear that it was that specific breach of that rule that all players knew they had to adhere to, and I don't think that indiscretion was even on the severe end - from what I remember reading, they were caught out in public with their parents at a dinner.

Why bother having a 6 day policy, if there's a 7 day policy* (and to complicate things for ya, Hogan's was 8 days out before a game, still in the pre-season).

* btw I'm assuming with "7 day policy" means a 24/7 zero drink policy in-season.

Last edited:

Very very true!!
If I was ross, I'd just do an interview with Morfesse and f**k the other bottom feeders.
He's boycotted 6pr, I'm sure he doesn't lose any sleep on that one.

I’m not sure about that. Most people, including a lot of media think Ross is a good bloke. I think it’s more just the love they have for WC distorts their behaviour.

Having said that, I’ve always found Duffield to be the fairest treater of us, but even he’s now turning on Ross a bit.

I just don’t know. I’ve never got the feeling that Ross is totally truthful at all times when dealing with the media and I guess that would piss them off. It was interesting reading the article about the Wildcats and their ways of becoming a more acceptable and marketable corporation when they were on their knees, and one of their key instructions to players and staff was to always be honest with the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very very true!!
If I was ross, I'd just do an interview with Morfesse and f**k the other bottom feeders.
He's boycotted 6pr, I'm sure he doesn't lose any sleep on that one.

Is that and would that help though?

Would mak3 it worse imo. We need to build a strong relationship with the media to get the right messages out from a PR POV.

Yeah, but the Wildcats have a ridiculously rich patriarch that pays the way. Bet he loses money every year too.
Freo, apparently is beholden to the WAFC first, and then the members.
The WAFC is a West Coast loving admin, and Freo is an afterthought.
I wonder if it would be better if the members owned Freo, and not the WAFC

Well they were part of the ‘ he’s got issues ‘ crew before we drafted him so it’s not much different to the way any of us carry on when we get something right , it’s just they reach a wider audience

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, but the Wildcats have a ridiculously rich patriarch that pays the way. Bet he loses money every year too.
Freo, apparently is beholden to the WAFC first, and then the members.
The WAFC is a West Coast loving admin, and Freo is an afterthought.
I wonder if it would be better if the members owned Freo, and not the WAFC

Take your point and the WAFC are a bunch of campaigners and a pimple on the arse of our progress but the point was more around some of the measures they’ve taken to go from bankruptcy to winning nine premierships and being one of the most successful sporting clubs in Australia. I doubt the WAFC have had much to do with our current troubles. They wouldn’t have made us sign Ross up when we did and for so long. They wouldn’t make us keep Weber for 8 years and counting. They wouldn’t have had any input into our recruiting. Etc. Etc. Etc. We need to start running the club like a personal owner who’s losing money!

Take your point and the WAFC are a bunch of campaigners and a pimple on the arse of our progress but the point was more around some of the measures they’ve taken to go from bankruptcy to winning nine premierships and being one of the most successful sporting clubs in Australia. I doubt the WAFC have had much to do with our current troubles. They wouldn’t have made us sign Ross up when we did and for so long. They wouldn’t make us keep Weber for 8 years and counting. They wouldn’t have had any input into our recruiting. Etc. Etc. Etc. We need to start running the club like a personal owner who’s losing money!

Yeah, for me the take-away from that article is the long-term view that the Wildcats have and that they see a strong link off-court stuff and on-court performance. They also seem to have confidence in their long-term approach and stick to it.

It takes bloody hard work for a pro sports team to get good. Once you get good, the last thing you want to do is just throw all that away. Thats what we did. We got good, didn't win a flag straight away, and then basically turned around and said "what we have done to play finals has 'failed' so lets throw it all away and start again"

That is a sign of no confidence in ourselves and our direction as club. The decisions made during 2016 most go down as some of the dumbest ever in Australian pro sport.

Like Scott Pendlebury, my background is in bball. I have been a big supporter of the Wildcats since when Trevor Torrance was running around with a perm. Let's not get caught up in a bs comparison between the Wildcats and Freo.

1. Bball is a sport where you can take a middle of the road line up, add 2 star imports, and change the direction of the whole season. Cotton and White won the championship for Perth. Without the two of them, Wildcats lose. No question. That does not translate to AFL. You can put Fyfe/Danger/or Dustin in Gold Coast in 2019 and they will still come last or close to it. There is no land of star footballers on the other side of the globe that we can grab 2/5s of our starting line up and see such a quick and profound change on our fortunes in a season.

2. Wildcats are the only team in this state. Even those that don't watch a game would say that they are their bball team in Aus. Want to make up a quick best 22 from Freo and WCs line ups (inj aside). That team would win 3 years straight, at least and be even more popular than WC is now.

3. The Wildcats were in the grand finals and most of the discussions on radio (6PR), and in the back pages of the paper were still on the preseasons of Freo and WC. Most of them could walk down the street and not be recognised by most they walk past bar the odd kid or two. The media between bball and AFL in this state is not even comparable.

Did you listen to the link? Ballas explains what it means

No drinking in rehab (unless super long term) and no drinking on short turnarounds (6 day breaks)

Otherwise you are allowed to with a common sense rule applied
Well maybe Ballantyne should have given Ross's press conference because Ross said word for word what was written. I don't have anything against a drink after a game on a 7 day break. But that's not the problem with Jesse.

The whole press conference sounded like Ross making every excuse not to take any responsibility. Asked when Hogan will be back he said, well not up to him, he doesn't know anything he just listens to the medical staff. Please?

Have been told by a journo that there is culture issues at the club - probably why they are pushing so hard on Hogan in comparison to Liam Ryan.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Like Scott Pendlebury, my background is in bball. I have been a big supporter of the Wildcats since when Trevor Torrance was running around with a perm. Let's not get caught up in a bs comparison between the Wildcats and Freo.

1. Bball is a sport where you can take a middle of the road line up, add 2 star imports, and change the direction of the whole season. Cotton and White won the championship for Perth. Without the two of them, Wildcats lose. No question. That does not translate to AFL. You can put Fyfe/Danger/or Dustin in Gold Coast in 2019 and they will still come last or close to it. There is no land of star footballers on the other side of the globe that we can grab 2/5s of our starting line up and see such a quick and profound change on our fortunes in a season.

2. Wildcats are the only team in this state. Even those that don't watch a game would say that they are their bball team in Aus. Want to make up a quick best 22 from Freo and WCs line ups (inj aside). That team would win 3 years straight, at least and be even more popular than WC is now.

3. The Wildcats were in the grand finals and most of the discussions on radio (6PR), and in the back pages of the paper were still on the preseasons of Freo and WC. Most of them could walk down the street and not be recognised by most they walk past bar the odd kid or two. The media between bball and AFL in this state is not even comparable.
All that being said they lost 8 out of 10 games mid season and were around last I think. It was team cohesiveness, players bonding over their goals (opening written notes just before the finals) and great leadership from Damian Martin that got them the win.

I've seem a lot of ball co-ordination skills being adapted from bball to fball as well as quick ball movement drill over the years. I really would like to see more emphasis on goal kicking drill based on bball, including some classics from Andre Lemanis (Aust Coach).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back