Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think most people truly appreciate how well WCE have been list managed for the past decade in comparison to Freo. Simpson inherited a really balanced and experienced list. To his credit, he's made the most of it.

In their premiership team they used experienced players that were traded in and then either one or two players from every draft from 2005 to the 2017 excepting 2009 (Brad Sheppard would have played if not injured) and 2011 (GWS impacted draft - Yeo was originally from that draft though).

As has been pointed out previously, their list management was assisted by having extra (priority) picks in 2008 and 2010 for having seasons of less than 5 wins. That reward for poor performance now only exists at the discretion of the AFL. Could they have beaten Collingwood without those two players (Shuey and Darling)?

As has been pointed out previously, their list management was assisted by having extra (priority) picks in 2008 and 2010 for having seasons of less than 5 wins. That reward for poor performance now only exists at the discretion of the AFL. Could they have beaten Collingwood without those two players (Shuey and Darling)?
Pretty good rebuild then. Still depends who you pick with that (Andrew McLeod says Hi). We could have picked Darling (who'd we pick instead?) and McGovern before them so maybe it's our fault they beat Collingwood!

Pretty good rebuild then. Still depends who you pick with that (Andrew McLeod says Hi). We could have picked Darling (who'd we pick instead?) and McGovern before them so maybe it's our fault they beat Collingwood!

That's fair. They're indebted to us, just like in 2006 when we gave Sydney a tough enough time in the prelim that they couldn't get over the line in the GF. F***ing ingrates.

Wow! I just watched that whole interview and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. I know you are just trolling for a bite, but I thought it was a really insightful interview, and it seems like Ross is well plugged into the young team.

I loved his comment about Sandilands - "what he's doing for young Darcy, money can't buy that".

loved his comment about Sandilands - "what he's doing for young Darcy, money can't buy that".

What money can't buy a ruck coach ?

Trolling was it , I actually prefer trolls to inane dribblers but that's just me

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those two guys were available at our picks, so to say they were an advantage over everyone else is a bit much. The picks they got higher in those drafts (Naitanui, Gaff) didn't even play in the GF.

Would we be better off had we drafted Shuey and Darling instead of Hill and Pitt? Undoubtedly. Did everyone else in the league have access to Shuey and Darling (sometimes twice over)? Yes.

An extra pick 18 and 26 for finishing second last and last might have helped a little, but our situation is because we absolutely burned draft picks for six years.

There's too much WC love on here at times for my liking.

Give me Hill over Shuey every day of the week. Plus it's too easy to fall into the"what-if?" trap.

For example, WC also overlooked Darling in that draft and would they have chosen him without that extra pick?

For all that imagine if Harvey had got his way and Freo had selected Bastinac over Fyfe?

Basically though, the whole direction from 2010 onwards was a more national (read eastern-centric) less parochial focus for drafting as instigated by Harvey & Bond. I've always assumed Harvey harboured ill feelings towards Smart for going around him on Fyfe. So he brought in the Lloyds as closer allies to better follow through on his vision for recruitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hager’s on 6pr mentioned that cognilio is open to a move to freo. Would prefer wce but they don’t have the coin. He would be a perfect fit.

If true (hey it's a Haggers comment) that would be fantastic. A mad Eagle supporter from a mad Eagles supporting family but a few of his mates are now at Freo so I guess it is possible.

Hager’s on 6pr mentioned that cognilio is open to a move to freo. Would prefer wce but they don’t have the coin. He would be a perfect fit.
If true (hey it's a Haggers comment) that would be fantastic. A mad Eagle supporter from a mad Eagles supporting family but a few of his mates are now at Freo so I guess it is possible.
the kids call it a 'reverse Yeo'

He played at Swan Districts with Sonny Walters. There's that link also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back