News 2018 membership

Remove this Banner Ad

They could be count towards both, neither, or only one of the clubs. It depends on how clubs treat SMA members.

The question is: are they treated like any other club member — voting rights, clubhouse access, membership packs, club discounts, etc? If not, they aren't club members.

If a club only consider those who identify themselves as club's barrackers (i.e., only giving club membership rights to them, but not to others), then only those would count as members.

If both clubs treat SMA members as their own, then, they are members of both clubs.
No they have no rights at either club. They just have access rights to 22 games.

I thought they counted 50/50 or 40/60 or whatever
Try 28/72 in 2017.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-08-16/members-kt-says-thanks
....Having sold over 60,000 memberships for the third consecutive year - a figure reached just a week ago - the audit by the AFL brings the Port figure down to 52,129.

The audit includes all membership products that meet certain criteria, applied consistently across the league’s 18 clubs, and Port’s share of the 8,000 Adelaide Oval stadium members based on a split of 28% being allocated to the club by the ground's Stadium Management Authority.....

Try 28/72 in 2017.

....Having sold over 60,000 memberships for the third consecutive year - a figure reached just a week ago - the audit by the AFL brings the Port figure down to 52,129.

The audit includes all membership products that meet certain criteria, applied consistently across the league’s 18 clubs, and Port’s share of the 8,000 Adelaide Oval stadium members based on a split of 28% being allocated to the club by the ground's Stadium Management Authority.....

crikey so is it a predetermined thing as part of the sma agreement or do they make up a number season by season

crikey so is it a predetermined thing as part of the sma agreement or do they make up a number season by season
It changes season by season. First two years was 36%. wharfie_1870 reckons when you renew online you can indicate which club you support. I know that option wasn't there in 2014 season and a mate who doesn't join online, told me that he didn't tick any box with his 2015 and 2016 renewal.

....I think that having as big a number as possible is a commercial advantage.....

Absolutely. Never underestimate the value of a database and the potential benefits to others.

In the early noughties I was asked to close down a government organisation. It had been operating in a market where there were multiple private companies. It had been the subject of a review (of sorts) and a Cabinet Submission was produced recommending its closure with no value associated with it.

I went in and approached the private sector organisations and you could sense immediate interest in the organisations customer database, so I decided to go through an open tender process after discussions with the Minister.

Whilst a major focus was to ensure continued servicing to the customers ;);), we ended up getting a 7 figure sum for this information.

Last edited:
Correct they shouldnt be counted in any of the clubs total. They are supporters of the club but not members of the club. Membership involves some rights to the club. Buying an AO Footy membership has no rights to the either club.

Spot on REH.

Until this year I had AO memberships, and previously Footy Park, but always bought the Platinum upgrade memberships to PAFC (or the earlier GF guarantee). I’m not sure if the Crows had a similar category of membership.

Whilst, at some stage, the Footy Park memberships came with a lower category access to GF tickets the AO memberships do not.

It changes season by season. First two years was 36%. wharfie_1870 reckons when you renew online you can indicate which club you support. I know that option wasn't there in 2014 season and a mate who doesn't join online, told me that he didn't tick any box with his 2015 and 2016 renewal.

Lol, sounds legit.

So how do those that don't 'nominate' a club get allocated?
What about those who nominate a club that isn't Port or Crows?

It seems the total number of SMA members get split, so they must have a protocol for these 'unknowns'.

I reckon the "which club do you support" option has been there for all of the SMA Adelaide Oval football membership years and it was even there for SNAFL Footy Park memberships, but I can't be certain.

One thing that really annoys me is that a couple of seasons back Adelaide Oval memberships had a $100 impost added which the SMA said was so that $50 could go to the Crows and Port to satisfy the AFL's minimum spend requirement and that all AO Footy members would then officially be counted as members of both clubs by the AFL. Despite this the SMA and the AFL still play this arbitrary split game.

SMA increase.JPG

So how do those that don't 'nominate' a club get allocated?
What about those who nominate a club that isn't Port or Crows?

It seems the total number of SMA members get split, so they must have a protocol for these 'unknowns'.
My understanding is that the club you nominate as supporting is not used to determine the split. The SNAFL determine the split based on reasons.

My understanding is that the club you nominate as supporting is not used to determine the split. The SNAFL determine the split based on reasons.

I suppose they could make up some formula based on how many members attend Crows game compared to Port games which would give them a fair idea of the split. It's still ridiculous though.

I reckon the "which club do you support" option has been there for all of the SMA Adelaide Oval football membership years and it was even there for SNAFL Footy Park memberships, but I can't be certain.

One thing that really annoys me is that a couple of seasons back Adelaide Oval memberships had a $100 impost added which the SMA said was so that $50 could go to the Crows and Port to satisfy the AFL's minimum spend requirement and that all AO Footy members would then officially be counted as members of both clubs by the AFL. Despite this the SMA and the AFL still play this arbitrary split game.

View attachment 460760

SMA Double Standards.. LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was Thursday. I noticed this number up yesterday and forgot to check against your post Robbo

2018members.jpg

2017members-footer.jpg

I suppose they could make up some formula based on how many members attend Crows game compared to Port games which would give them a fair idea of the split. It's still ridiculous though.
Which could easily be tainted as Port fans tend to be 'footy' fans and would go to all games whereas those who buy Crows memberships tend to be 'theatre goers' and wouldn't dream of attending a Ports game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back