Phantom Draft 2018 Mid-Season Mock Draft, Post U18 Championships

Did I get your team right

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To address your points, I watched every game on TV and 4 replays. Is that not enough watching for you?
Many people rate West highly, but I don't. I think his reputation was inflated due to his father-son status, like Silvagni and Fletcher.

I agree I have little idea on the bidding system but will try to learn. The AFL guide to the updated system isn't very good
Good on you for having a go at the drafts. foj1 was just trying to give you some advice, most of the guys that do the drafts go and watch as many games as they can, not just watch them on TV. From this I think you get a better perspective of the overall game.

I actually agree with you on West and Fletcher as I live near the Cannons ground and go to watch most of their games. Fletcher is too slow but has also been out the majority of this year with injury. West has had some good games but also had a good U18 championships, so he hasn't done himself any harm there and will get taken by the doggies.

McFadyen is Brisbane Academy, and if a pick comes this late we would 100% match it not let those Richmond ferals get their hands on him
There are two questions here,
1. Do you need him? You would have to give up your third, three picks later. This means you sacrifice a player you need of the same tier for a tall, which people are telling me is exactly what you are trying to avoid.
2. Is he worth it? Is the 8th best tall forward in this rounds draft worth a developing club's 3rd round pick?

I say no and maybe, but it all relates back to the benefit you get from him compared to another player. In one sense, there is no flight risk, and he is likely a 1 club player. In the other, selections would be more difficult and it could leave you thin in other areas.

1. Do you need him? You would have to give up your third, three picks later. This means you sacrifice a player you need of the same tier for a tall, which people are telling me is exactly what you are trying to avoid.
2. Is he worth it? Is the 8th best tall forward in this rounds draft worth a developing club's 3rd round pick?
I say no and maybe, but it all relates back to the benefit you get from him compared to another player. In one sense, there is no flight risk, and he is likely a 1 club player. In the other, selections would be more difficult and it could leave you thin in other areas.
At a (very) rough guess, McFadyen spent as much time playing on the ball as he did playing as a forward. He projects as a tall mid or a medium forward (or a bit of both) even though he did take a few ruck taps in the forward line during the championships.

At a (very) rough guess, McFadyen spent as much time playing on the ball as he did playing as a forward. He projects as a tall mid or a medium forward (or a bit of both) even though he did take a few ruck taps in the forward line during the championships.
He is 190cm, which is the minimum height for a key forward in my eyes, and is better playing there, rather than on the ball. If you are looking for an on-baller, there should be a few, including James Rowbottom, predicted at round 3

If he's not worth Brisbanes third round pick then why would Richmond want him with their second?

If he's not worth Brisbanes third round pick then why would Richmond want him with their second?
Team needs. It’s as simple as Richmond not having backup ruckman, therefore incorporating an extra tall takes the stress of Nank, Grigg and Reiwoldt.

Brisbane are taking McFadyen. He has been playing in our NEAFL team and done pretty well. He will be developed as one of the prototype tall mids

Brisbane are taking McFadyen. He has been playing in our NEAFL team and done pretty well. He will be developed as one of the prototype tall mids

Agree with this.

Probably worth a 2nd round match at the moment but listening to an interview with Conole recently I think Brisbane are keen to grab him.

Team needs. It’s as simple as Richmond not having backup ruckman, therefore incorporating an extra tall takes the stress of Nank, Grigg and Reiwoldt.
We have Soldo and CCJ (just a kid) and Chol if we want to persevere atm. So no, we don't have none.

P.S. And Tom Lynch now too.

Fortunate for collingwood

Compensation for players trade will assist by bringing in points
Sydney drop their 3rd goes up
We can bring points forward and get 25% discount on both
Only way is if we have to match both in first 10and that won't happen
We have you use our first rounder this year or next

So both boys are pies and others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fortunate for collingwood

Compensation for players trade will assist by bringing in points
Sydney drop their 3rd goes up
We can bring points forward and get 25% discount on both
Only way is if we have to match both in first 10and that won't happen
We have you use our first rounder this year or next

So both boys are pies and others
I’m not sure you fully understand the system.

First, it’s a 20% discount on bids in the first round.

Second round and beyond is a fixed discount of 187 points.

I’m not sure what you mean by bringing points forward.

Do you mean using points from next years draft (which you are allowed to do, but there is a cap on how many future points you can use).

Or do you mean as other clubs match bids, and use up picks, later picks shuffle forward? There’s a catch here some people miss.

I am hoping Fremantle trade down with North, giving the Dockers North's first rounder (Hill/Hately/Rozee) plus something; hopefully a second round pick this year or next (27?). In return, North get to secure Thomas with later picks, and have pick six to have a crack at the top end.

V2 found here

I have been eyeing this draft class a little bit closer due to its heavy praise at the end of last year, but like most people, I haven't seen every game. The rest is based off TV shows, like Future Stars, websites, like this one, and Callum Twomeys regular articles in the Record and on AFL.com.au.

So here is my current mock draft. Take into consideration that this is what I think would be the draft order given there are no trades and free agency isn't used (so basically if there was a draft right now). The structure of my introduction of each pick is as follows:
"Round". "Pick Number" "Original Pick Ownership"-"Pick post-2017 trade period" "Player Name" "Position"
"Description

1. 1 Carlton-Carlton Izak Rankine (Mid/Fwd)

How I'd Love the mighty blues to have big Izak! He is an absolute powerhouse with the ability to move forward in a Dusty-like motion. Carlton is lacking a strong bodied midfielder to partner with Cripps, Ed Curnow helps a lot, but he is a role-player who usually does a run-with/tagging role. We are trying to fill this gap with fresh AFL players with little experience in senior footy, like Dow, Petrevski-Seton, Fisher and Kennedy, but Izak Rankine has a history of senior footy evident in his SANFL appearances.

1. 2 Brisbane-Brisbane Sam Walsh (Inside Mid)

Brisbane is looking like they need a bit more depth in their midfield, considering their lack of youth. Their forward line is firming up as a strong young group, containing players like Hipwood and Walker. Plus, the class on this boy is fantastic! Top three at least

1. 3 Gold Coast-Gold Coast Jack Lukosius (Tall Utility)

Two words, Lynch leaving. Lukosius will fill that void perfectly, with strong hands and dominance at ground level. His accuracy at passing and at shooting is also admirable

1. 4 St Kilda-St Kilda Bailey Smith (Inside Mid)

I can't remember a lot from Smith, apart from a few highlights. A goal here, a tackle there, a few clearances to top it off. Definitely a high draft pick. St. Kilda has a lack of elite midfielders and I'd be worried too if my best one was Jack Stevens.

1. 5 Bulldogs-Bulldogs Curtis Taylor (Mid/Fwd)

Name a fast player in the Bulldogs midfield. Can't? I can, Curtis Taylor. This explosive inside midfielder loves to run with the ball and make strong linking passes.

1. 6 Fremantle-Fremantle Max King (Key Forward)

Max King wasn't evident in the NAB Rising Star U18 Championships due to injury, but he was projected a lot higher before he was injured, scoring 8 goals in a game slightly before he went down. If Fremantle thinks that the injury is minor enough in the long term, expect a high bid from them. A lack of height in the forward line has seen utility players, like Cox and Apeness, being the main goal kickers in this Western Australian team. Mundy and Walters are also high on this list, but the issue is that they are both midfielders.

1. 7 Essendon-Essendon Jackson Hately (Inside Mid)

Essendon's heavy trade period, drafting Stringer, Saad and Smith couldn't fill a hole in their midfield. Smith helps around the play with strong defence but looks more at home when he plays as a pressure forward. Heppell has always been a strong midfielder, Merrett is an absolute ball magnet, but there is very little depth in the Bombers centre. This prospect who had a strong finish to the championships could see a bolt up the rankings.

1. 8 Adelaide-Adelaide Jye Caldwell (Midfielder)

I honestly think, not trying to be too one-eyed, that Adelaide will try to make a move for Izak Rankine, pick number one if you will. In Carlton's best interest, it's time to bring in proven talent who wish for a move to Melbourne clubs, this could mean Sloane or McGovern come is for moving down in the draft. Either way, Jye will be beneficial for both clubs, being an inside and outside midfielder. Adelaide would love another outside midfielder to partner under-rated superstar McKay. Consistently being in the top draft bracket, Jye Caldwell will definitely fall into the Crows hands if available at this point.

1. 9 Hawthorn-Hawthorn Ian Hill (Mid/Fwd)

Cyril leaving the AFL and retiring closes the curtains on one career but requires a new one to stand up. What better than the relative of former Hawthorn player, Bradley Hill (and Stephen Hill)? Ian has a strong running ability, which is not seen in the Hawthorn roster apart from new recruit Jarman Impey, who has been advised of his new Rioli-esque "responsibilities". Then he likes to finish off with an accurate kick. Cyril who?

1. 10 North-North Tarryn Thomas (Inside Mid)

This Next Generation Academy prospect will be bid highly for by the owning club. Will slot into the broad 8-14 range when drafted, but considering his lack of form for the Allies, North will surely be able to use their first pick on him. Had a strong appearance in the Academy series.

1. 11 Melbourne-Adelaide Connor Rozee (Mid/Fwd)

If you watch this boy play, you'll know what I mean by he wants the ball! What a delight to watch, next to a few other bolters like Rankine and O'Halloran, he will be in my top five for this draft class as far as viewership goes.

1. 12 GWS-GWS Ben King (Tall Utility)

The injuries to Patton and Cameron have exposed the Giants forward line. Ruckman Rory Lobb and defender Harrison Himmelberg have been nominated to fill these positions, but they don't quite do the job. Expected to go a bit higher in the draft due to his 12 goals in the U18 championships, I don't see the overly tall Adelaide or speed deprived Hawthorn to pick him up higher.

1. 13 Geelong-Geelong Bailey Williams (Ruckman)

Long considered the best ruckman in the U18s, Bailey can push forward and provide a marking option when necessary. Geelong's current line-up sees utility Harry Taylor and multiple All-Australian midfielder Patrick Dangerfield being their deep forwards. This could help merge Dangerfield into a stronger midfield role for Ablett's impending retirement

1. 14 Port-Port Isaac Quaynor (Backman)

I've already done one of these but.... name an elite Port Adelaide defender. Can't? Maybe Jonas or Pittard come to mind, but Quaynor is likely a future All-Australian with his run across half-back and match-ups.

1. 15 Sydney-Sydney Nick Blakey (Key Forward)

Even though Sydney have their fair share of tall forwards, there is an age to some of them like Buddy and Reid. Sydney has the need for key defenders more than anything with their best one, Grundy, soon to retire. Expect Buku Khamis or Jez McLennan to be picked up in the second round

1. 16 West Coast-Gold Coast Riley Collier-Dawkins (Midfielder)

Riley is a (very) tall inside midfielder, who has always been a top prospect but never showed enough to be considered for a top 10 appearance

1. 17 Collingwood-Collingwood Will Kelly (Key Defender)

Craig Kelly's son is eligible as a Collingwood father-son prospect, and Kelly is perfect. Collingwood's lack of talls was exposed at the beginning of the season and Will can be a strong presence in defence, who was unlucky to see an All-Australian U18 snob, but can move into the forward line if necessary

1. 18 Richmond-Richmond Keiran Briggs (Ruckman)

Richmond has a lack of depth in their ruck stocks, so expect All-Australian U18 ruckman, Keiran Briggs to make an appearance

1. Compensation Xavier O'Halloran (Midfielder)

If this guy doesn't make an appearance in the first round, he's a steal. An absolutely classy player, who can kick fantastically and has the IQ of Albert Einstein. On top of that, he is a dominant leader, great for clubs with many early draft picks and youth
I don't think you have watched much under 18 games, not only would i be major shocked if the dogs took Curtis Taylor for their first pick but you saying you don't think West is promising and that also the dogs wont bid on him is stupid

Post-Trade Mock Draft

1 - Carlton - Sam Walsh

Very heavy rumours that Carlton are looking closely at this player deemed to be the best player to come through the Geelong Falcons system by its own head coach.
2 - Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius
I still believe that Jack Lukosius is the best player in this draft. Even if you don't believe that, you would consider him in a tier above the rest, along with possibly Izak Rankine and the King brothers.
3 - Gold Coast - Ben King
With the Sun's two most prolific big men gone, they will be looking for a gun up forward who can also play defence, like a reverse Steven May. The suns have also been linked to the King brothers, although it is likely to be a rumour based on an idea presented on television.
4 - St Kilda - Max King
St Kilda are lacking extreme scoring power in their forward line and their trade period didn't help to fix that. It actually made it worse, with their ruck stocks depleting.
5 - Port - Izak Rankine
The reason why Port elevated themselves in the draft was to pick up either this man or Connor Rozee.
6 - Gold Coast - Bailey Smith
Smith is a very good quality player, who is the second best midfielder in this draft by a landslide, not including Rankine, who I consider better as a forward.
7 - Bulldogs - Connor Rozee
Part of the so-called 'elite eight' enough said
8 - Adelaide - Jackson Hately
Unlucky not to be high enough in the draft to secure Rankine or Rozee, the Crows get the next best talent from SA
9 - Sydney - Nick Blakey (Match Bid)
Part of the elite eight, Blakey is likely to be picked up by Sydney as an Academy bid.
10 - GWS - Bailey Williams
Bailey should fill the void that losing Lobb created and help improve the Giants ruck stocks.
11 - North - Tarryn Thomas (Match Bid)
12 - Port - Jye Caldwell
13 - GWS - Ian Hill
14 - Geelong - Liam Stocker
15 - Adelaide - Luke Valente
16 - Fremantle - Jordan Clark
17 - Port - Curtis Taylor
18 - Adelaide - Zac Butters
19 - Richmond - Riley Collier-Dawkins
20 - Collingwood - Isaac Quaynor (Match Bid)
21 - Brisbane - Jez McLennan
22 - GWS - Joseph Ayton-Delaney
23 - West Coast - Sydney Stack

End of 1st round

It's different to the normal Ty so I like it in that respect.

Something that sticks out to me is the Giants pick 10 but. Can definitely see that being one of Stocker, Caldwell or RCD.

GWS would be matching a bid for Keiran Briggs later in the draft and may bring in another state league/ mature ruck as well if not Mumford.

Haven't heard enough chatter about Ben King to the Suns at 3 either to like it, they are bringing in Sam Collins who will be ready to fill a key defensive position from Round 1. Chris Burgess will be around the mark as a KPP also.

Interesting to see where Stack lands as well, all the talent but needs much more discipline.

It's different to the normal Ty so I like it in that respect.

Something that sticks out to me is the Giants pick 10 but. Can definitely see that being one of Stocker, Caldwell or RCD.

GWS would be matching a bid for Keiran Briggs later in the draft and may bring in another state league/ mature ruck as well if not Mumford.

Haven't heard enough chatter about Ben King to the Suns at 3 either to like it, they are bringing in Sam Collins who will be ready to fill a key defensive position from Round 1. Chris Burgess will be around the mark as a KPP also.

Interesting to see where Stack lands as well, all the talent but needs much more discipline.
The Sun's need a replacement for both May and Lynch, and while Collins can be good in defence he isn't nearly as good quality to be part of their spine in the long-term. And then they also need a Lynch replacement, which you could argue is Lukosius, and he would work well in their forward line.
I'll back in my thoughts that if Gold Coast have pick 3, 4 or 5 on draft night, they will choose a King

I had the same thoughts in regards to GWS. They have ruck Kieren Briggs out of their academy this year, and already have academy graduate ruck Matthew Flynn already on their list.

Can definitely see GWS looking for mids and outside run with their first 4 picks and using their later picks to match a bid on Briggs.

There has been a lot of noise out of GC about them taking Lukosius and Rozee at picks 2 and 3, and looking at Jye Caldwell with pick 6. I get the feeling that Bailey Smith may have said he'd much prefer to stay in Victoria, rather than be drafted interstate. Otherwise, if GC was considering one King, you'd imagine that go with both to minimise the go home factor. Which is why they're looking at Rozee with pick 3, to go with Lukosius.

Finally, Brisbane's head of football has been pretty consistent, repeatedly saying that we'll look for a mid with our first pick, and outside run and pace with our later picks. With both Chayce Jones and Xavier Duursma still on board at our first pick in your draft, both would come under very serious consideration.

I could see Rankine at 3 as both students at same school Henley High. Just throwing it out there Karma bus. Crows bid for Kelly with their 4th pick at the start of the 2nd Round. Instead of Jake to Collingwood Will chosen by Adelaide with Collingwood to match. Maybe a stretch then choose Grundy. Key Defender may grow into Ruck. Thinking Adelaide may go Sparrow if available instead of Butters but both good choices.

I could see Rankine at 3 as both students at same school Henley High. Just throwing it out there Karma bus. Crows bid for Kelly with their 4th pick at the start of the 2nd Round. Instead of Jake to Collingwood Will chosen by Adelaide with Collingwood to match. Maybe a stretch then choose Grundy. Key Defender may grow into Ruck. Thinking Adelaide may go Sparrow if available instead of Butters but both good choices.
Fwiw there is a clear difference in skill between Butters and Sparrow. My real prediction is Adelaide trades so they ghave a top 6 Pick and a couple of third rounders along with their late first/earlysecond

Back