Autopsy 2018 Mid Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

We did one of these last year over the bye round.
Something to chew on as we head into the second half of the year.

What are your thoughts so far?

It's been one of the more disappointing years I can remember. After a lackluster JLT we scraped out a win against Brisbane and since it hasn't been great viewing.

Decimated by injuries to some of our key players. Roberton, Stevens, Bruce, Acres, Armitage to name a few.

Whilst there aren't many positives to shine a light on I will just say that I think this may be the season that we needed to have. Our glaring deficiencies have come right to the surface this year but have been lingering for longer than that. Riewoldt & Montagna helped paper over some of the cracks in our method last year and without them we are seeing quite clearly where we need to improve.

It's a good thing that our list is so young so we do have the time to turn things around before a core group of players enter the twilight of their careers.

As for standouts, I think Jimmy Webster should be leading our Best & Fairest at the midway point. I've had my doubts on him in the past but this year he has been absolutely outstanding helping lead a young backline and playing to near All-Australian level.

Jake Carlisle needs to be given a mention, probably our most consistent performer all year. Shame he copped a suspension but regardless he can hold his head high.

And Luke Dunstan probably has been our best mid all year. Stuv and Basty have been on and off, but Spook's been great for us so far. Personally feel as though he should be our next skipper. Can tell he has it in him.

As for the last half of the year? Well, I'm just looking forward to a few wins along the way of course but more importantly to see what our list has to offer. We need to use the last 9 games to see what we are working with heading into 2019. Most of our boys have played a game this year, but would love to see a debut from Nathan Freeman and Ben Paton. Maybe even Oscar Clavarino down the stretch. Give the fans something to look forward to heading into 2019 and a reason to keep coming back to the footy.

Obviously some big changes coming at seasons end, lets hope the club appoints the right people to take us forward.

Positives

- Clark is clearly going to be a very good player once he gets a few pre-seasons in
- Battle has had a fantastic first two games
- Gresham continues to improve, really exciting player
- Carlisle looks like a great acquisition, look forward to watching him for the next five years or so
- Long was showing why we picked him, before his injury
- Webster probably leading our B&F which is a great step for him
- Phillips came from nowhere to look like he'll be an AFL quality player

Mild Positives

- Dunstan slightly better than he was for most of last year but still not quite good enough
- Hickey slightly better than last year, we have competition for our ruck spots - though neither Hickey nor Longer look like particularly good quality
- Austin seems a player
- Paddy's still improving incrementally, nowhere near a star yet obviously but moving in the right direction
- Coffield has a lot of developing to do but looks like he'll definitely be good enough
- McKenzie came from nowhere to maybe actually be AFL quality, when I had him already delisted
- Rice looks good enough to me, though a bit limited
- Pierce seems like he's got an outside chance of making it thanks to playing full-time ruck at Franga
- Marshall has got some valuable experience, has good attributes so might improve

Neutral

- Steven is obviously a very good player but doesn't have the support to show his full quality
- Acres hasn't quite taken the next step that he needs to
- Lonie is slightly better again than previous years but still not good enough
- Geary despite being a limited player is doing an OK job of the captaincy
- Savage holding his spot but not doing much
- Membrey just OK compared to how I hoped he'd go

Mild Negatives

- Ross not looking as good as I hoped he might
- Steele treading water at this point
- Freeman more injuries
- Longer doesn't seem to be getting any better
- Bruce has had limited impact and was dropped before his injury
- Gilbo, Armo, Brown are probably still in our best 25 despite being old
- White still isn't quite showing enough
- Weller continues to suggest to me that he's not AFL quality

Negatives

- Robbo and Stevens serious long-term injuries
- Billings has struggled mentally
- Newnes is barely holding his spot in the senior side despite being a heart and soul guy
- Goddard hasn't shown anything
- Sinclair was "rated elite" last year but has been nowhere near that this season

The comeback against Gold Coast will probably change the tone of this thread significantly. A defeat would have seen the wheels come off completely, but now there's some positivity again. Of course it's been a bad season so far; many of the performances haven't been good enough, though we haven't been thrashed in any of the defeats. Unlucky with injuries of course, and some players simply underperforming. There have been a few who can hold their heads high, as George listed.

No chance of finals, but the second half of the season is an opportunity to try to build a bit of momentum and look ahead. Changes needed on and off the pitch, but it's a young squad which will improve with experience and some proper leadership and coaching.

I can only score it a 3/10, and that might be generous!

I really don't understand how anyone can say Dunstan has been our best mid.
He doesn't look anywhere near it to me. Iknow he wears his heart on his sleeve and tries hard but that's not enough. I'd trade him for a 2nd rounder if anyone would pay it. Too slow, poor kick, poor shot at goal, poor mark and one-dimensional.

The season from hell is probably the best way to describe it. We’ve ended up with too many of the same type and the worst part is very few even look half a chance to be A grade. We struggle to win the ball and we’re too slow to win it back.

Positives:

- Clark and Coffield
- Gresham
- Steven and Ross
- Jimmy Webster
- Phillips apart from his ball use
- Ben Long before his injury
- Membrey now that he’s kicking straight again
- Dunstan’s first half of the year
- Draftees from 2015-17 I think have all had their good moments

Negatives:

- 2013 draft is only looking ok but considering what was available that’s nowhere near good enough. Yeah I know hindsight but how else are you supposed to judge a draft
- 2014 is looking horrific though it wasn’t the greatest draft. Maybe Paddy will become a gun forward, maybe we’ll never be able to hide his defensive deficiencies in the modern game
- Coaching staff’s stubbornness to only play 80’s football. Thank god we’ve got a “transition coach”
- Armo, Acres, Ross, Dunstan, Steele is too much of the same. Ross is a lock but only one or two of those guys should be playing as well. Either that or surround them with quicker players.

Big reality shock this year. Not all hope is lost but we’re definitely further from a flag than we thought we’d be by now.

Last edited:
The season we had to have .....i guess .
Poor coaching
Poor development
Poor recruitment
Failure to execute basic football skills at this level & VFL level is concerning.
I can see us scrapping ourselves to 14th and maybe this wall papers over some serious issues above.
Positives so far ....
Carlisle is A grade
Battle has the required attitude
Phillips adds run & is hard
Long required skill & aggression
Austin adds depth as a very good 3rd back
Rice composed & tough
Clark has the required attitude
Coffy has the skill & run
Webster has gone to B+

Important trade & draft period for us , i can see 5-6 list changes , we need to add a Class big name player but still manage to retain our top 10 pick ....not easy !

1 Tom Hickey - 6/10 - Easily the best or our rucks where he gets beating in the taps he at least does work up and down the ground and brings the effort.. realistically the best of a pretty poor bunch
2 Jake Carlisle 7/10 - before suspention our only hope down back.. been solid without being outstanding, we do feel much better with him down back then without him.. brings some mongrel to the team
3 Jack Steven 7/10- our best player and everyone knows it so he gets the extra attention every week, when he is running and bursting through packs we are a chance to score but certainly finding it harder to get off the chain
4 Jade Gresham 8/10-leading goal kicker, only needs to get the ball a couple of times to make an impact, every time he get near it something happens , just needs to get near it more..
5 Shane Savage 5/10- reminds me of Gram in his last years, you remember his damaging penetrating kicks hurting the opp but for some reason thats now a thing of the past and you get floaty helicoper kicks that can end up anywhere, pretty poor season but still prob our best option as a running defender
6 Sebastian Ross 7/10 - tries his guts out often to his own detriment by trying to do more than his skills would allow, one of the few to actually show consistant pride in their game, we are asking to much from him imo
7 Luke Dunstan - 6/10 - up and down season , much like Ross tries hard and wills himself to it but physically has limitations that prevent him from being better ... should be in and under packs pushing it out to the more skillful outside mids but is forced to go win his own ball and then dispose of it himself
8 Blake Acres 4/10 - wasted year.. being used to plug holes because of list holes means often playing in a less then ideal positions, totaly destroying and wasting the talent we have by making him a mr fix it.. should bt the polish not the glue
9 Jack Steele 4/10- what happened ? tackles were his dice now cant land one stuck in that same same same same mould midfielder.
10 Nathan Freeman 0/10 - injurys again ... hopefully we toss out the caution and throw him in the 1's cause his carreer ending injury is litterally around the corner in the VFL so if it comes may as well get it reaching his goal of an AFL game
11 Hunter Clark 6/10- looks ssuited to this game.. for a young fella looks more experianced and confident then many of the much older players on the list.. big future ahead
13 Jack Lonie 3/10 - Poor Jack ... becomes the go to scapegoat to be dropped every other week .. one of the rare few to actually have a red hot dip.. gives it his all but physically not there
14 Jarryn Geary 4/10 - Captain Average... hes got heart, hes got courage and he will work and work and work but its like using a shovel to ice a cake. doesnt have the polish to be anything but average
15 Jack Billings 4/10 - lacking confidence, lacking guidance, lacking desire... shows glimpses of fantastic skill but the goes missing for big chunks.. really needs to be touching the ball muchmuch more as he is one of the few who can cause damage
16 Jack Newnes 5/10 - the start of the season he was looking at a solid 2 out of ten as his tackles dried up and he became a passanger in the team, the move forward certainly changed his fortunes dabbing in to pinch a couple goals meant the opp needed to pay attention to him, gave a differant unexpected avenue to goal
17 Dylan Roberton 1/10 - season derailed by the heart condition, been a massive hole in the team without him brings that effort class and accountability we have been missing
18 Billy Longer 3/10 - woeful ... he gets taps but does nothing else looks slow un-interested and content to just be out there... sadly enough he is still our next best option..
19 Sam Gilbert 5/10 - much like his whole career dependable and reliable Gilbo.. nothing flashy nothing great but a solid contest every week ... game has past him by somewhat but he still suits a need especially when injurys hit .. too bad they have hit him
20 David Armitage 4/10- become a bit of a whipping boy this year, fact is we have three other carbon copies of him in the team and at this stage he should be the bottom of the pecking order
21 Ben Long 3/10 - the biggest regret of the season, losing the most promising player early on at possibly the worst time ... was hard, skillful, effort was there, classy , fast ... everything we are screaming for ... hopefully a full year next year
22 Nathan J. Brown 5/10 - not fasionable, not exciting but holds down the role better than anyone else.. he isnt the future but damn ive been glad to have him back there to at least keep the opp forward honest
23 Hugh Goddard 0/10 - by the looks of it still some way off
24 Logan Austin 4/10 - been solid , really looks at home in the makeshift defence.. does he keep his spot when Gears and Robbo return .. i hope so
25 Koby Stevens 1/10 - for his sake i hope he just gets his health back again, terrible story of the season
26 Josh Battle - 6/10 - hits the score board , runs hard, takes marks up the groun.. this kids got something hopefully we keep playing him i really look forward to seeing him and Longy together
27 Josh Bruce 2/10 - injury or poor form its been a forgetable first half for Bruce .. hopefully a fresh second half will see some light at the end of a dark year
28 Tim Membrey 5/10 - the last 3 weeks would be an 8 out of ten but those early games where the yips got him brings his score down, i dunno if its the training finally paying off or if Members just tossed it out the window and went back to his old style but thank god he can kick now ..
29 Jimmy Webster 8/10 - would be leading the b&f in my opinion great season for jimmy , ive been a harsh critic of him but hes made me eat my words
30 Ed Phillips 5/10 - why was he dropped ? really confident and looks at home at the level .. brings a slightly differant dynamic to the team
31 Brandon White 4/10 - i really rate this kid, he has that "im about to bust this game open" look about him but sadly finds himself in the richo's "droppable" merry-go-round
32 Paddy McCartin 6/10 - maybe inflated score but i see paddy working for us .. just needs a better delivery, the one thing is he keeps up the chase, otheres would sook up over the delivery Paddy shrugs it off and trys to go get it again..
33 Nick Coffield 6/10 - much like Hunter looks composed and not out of place at the AFL level.. work in progress hopefully he continues to grow and not stagnate at the "good potential" stage like many of the guys before him
34 Nathan Wright 1/10 - tries but not AFL level... i like his agression but to slow and not to the skill level of the top tier comp
35 Jack Sinclair 3/10 - another case of a player being played out of position basically destroying their confidence and robbing them of any sort of form .. Jack is a much much better player then this season would suggest
36 Daniel McKenzie 2/10 - let me say he was fantastic last week in the last qtr against the Suns.. but.. as a whole he is much like Wright a VFL player only.. too many times get caught up by the speed of the game
37 Bailey Rice 6/10 - VFL form said he was not up to it but a funny thing being as he steped up the level so did his playing step up ... hes cool under pressure and not afraid to get in and dirty ..certainly one of the best finds of the year so far
38 Oscar Clavarino 0/10 - not seen
41 Darren Minchington 0/10 - injured , but history suggests not up to AFL standard
44 Maverick Weller 1/10 - how Mav keeps getting a game is beyond me ... he suffers small man syndrome where he gets all agro but does nothing with it.. ever relaible to miss a much needed goal when the time comes Mav has been the biggest disapointment this year
45 Ben Paton 0/10 - unseen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good idea for a thread George

I'll start off with the positives, beginning with the bigger postives and going in descending order.

POSITIVES

1. Jimmy Webster - As many have said, he's improved immensely this year. If not for a couple of injuries and our own woeful form, he would be getting talked about a lot more I feel. Hopefully he can finish the season off strongly and be our first AA pick in quite some time.

2. Jade Gresham - Been really good as well. He was a bit off early in the year, especially with his goal kicking. However, now that he has fixed that up, he's become very potent. One of the few unarguable draft wins we've had in recent times so hopefully he keeps building.

3. Membership - Record-breaking membership in a very ppor year on-field means the membership department deserves a lot of praise. They're clearly working very hard and hopefully we can finish the year strongly so that their good work isn't undone.

4. Jake Carlisle - He has also had a very good season. It would be better if he didn't keep getting frustrated and spoiling his better moments. Still, at least it shows he cares.

5. New kids - While playing guys like Phillips and Rice was forced by injuries, Clark, Coffield, Long and Battle have also played at least a few games and done well. I think Clark will be a long-term player for us as long as he is developed properly (which we all can see has been an issue for quite some time). His mate Coffield also has some nice attributes but hopefully he's able to transition his game into playing on the wing. Phillips is nice but needs to tidy his kicking to have some hurt factor. A little vanilla at the moment, and while there's nothing wrong with that, we've overloaded on the vanilla. Need some strawberry or chocolate. Rice looks nice too but he'll be competing with Geary, Webster, Savage, White, Coffield and Paton for a spot in the future. Only three of the aforementioned can be best 22 at any given time, so that's the only reason I'm a little hesitant on him. Battle is very exciting, with 5 goals in 2 games and plenty of aggression but I want to see him do this consistently. He's got all the right attributes so I'm sure he will excel.

6. VFLW - The Southern Saints have been punching above their weight in the VFLW. With no AFL listed players, and barely any attention given to them by our own media team, I feel they deserve a shout-out. Probably means Peta Searle will be one of the few assistants who will keep her job.

I'll do the negatives the other way around. Bigger negatives will be at the end of the post.

NEGATIVES

1. Ross - I'm a big fan of Seb and he has had a very good year still. His kicking seems to have deserted him though which is why he's on this side of the list.

2. Crowds - Although we've had massive sign-ups, the crowds themselves have been below par. It's sad because we've just negotiated a new stadium deal and now it's unlikely we'll capitalise.

3. Rucks - If we could combine Hickey and Billy into one man, we'll be all set on the ruck front. It'll also stop all the bickering here, which would be an added bonus. Unfortunately, they are very much two different people and, consequently, half the ruckman we want. They've had plenty of time to develop so I'm starting to worry they've hit their ceilings. Pierce looks good at Frankston, so maybe he can be a saving grace.

4. Richo - I want to start off by saying I think some of the personal insults going towards him are abhorrent. We're not going well at the moment, and as you'll soon read, I feel he's a big part of that. However, I'm sure he's still trying his best. My main frustration with him would be the 'bomb long and hope for the best' ball movement we've employed since 2016. I heard him talk about how he wants us to do this for a few pre-seasons now, so I know it's something we're deliberately doing. Except it makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, we've playing only 2 talls for the bulk of the year with one of them being the undersized Tim Membrey. Secondly, I think it's helped our mids develop some bad habits. I think part of the reason our disposal looks so haphazard is because they're given license to just go long once they're about 80 metres from goal. Why take the time to spot up a target when the gameplan allows you to be lazy and blaze away? There's surely a time and place for the long bomb but doing it every time like clockwork helps no one bu the opposition.

I'm also a little concerned at his stubborness when it comes to stacking our midfield with stodgy, one-paced bulls. Armitage, Ross, Dunstan and Steele all do rouighly the same thing and can't really play anywhere else. Ross is clearly the best of the lot and plays more on the outside, so he's okay. But having all the other three, with their lack of versatility, means guys like Sincs and Acres have to play elsewhere to accomodate. That's not fair on them.

He's not bottom of this list because at least it seems the players still want him around. Clearly, he's a decent man manager and that's important in a coach. Surround him with good tacticians and we might be okay.

5. Billings - What a disappointing year. Our next big hope and he's failed to fire a shot. I don't think it's through lack of effort but clearly he's not meeting anyone's expectations. He's showed some good signs recently and his response to being dropped has been very good. Unfortunately, rumours are swirling that he's under some family pressure to leave so let's hope that does not eventuate.

6.Ben Dixon - enough said. Apparently, it takes some time to improve goal kicking and results have been a little better recently but let's see. Supposedly he was at the Pies and only made them worse so fingers crossed he bucks that trend here.

Last edited:
1 Tom Hickey - 6/10 - Easily the best or our rucks where he gets beating in the taps he at least does work up and down the ground and brings the effort.. realistically the best of a pretty poor bunch
2 Jake Carlisle 7/10 - before suspention our only hope down back.. been solid without being outstanding, we do feel much better with him down back then without him.. brings some mongrel to the team
3 Jack Steven 7/10- our best player and everyone knows it so he gets the extra attention every week, when he is running and bursting through packs we are a chance to score but certainly finding it harder to get off the chain
4 Jade Gresham 8/10-leading goal kicker, only needs to get the ball a couple of times to make an impact, every time he get near it something happens , just needs to get near it more..
5 Shane Savage 5/10- reminds me of Gram in his last years, you remember his damaging penetrating kicks hurting the opp but for some reason thats now a thing of the past and you get floaty helicoper kicks that can end up anywhere, pretty poor season but still prob our best option as a running defender
6 Sebastian Ross 7/10 - tries his guts out often to his own detriment by trying to do more than his skills would allow, one of the few to actually show consistant pride in their game, we are asking to much from him imo
7 Luke Dunstan - 6/10 - up and down season , much like Ross tries hard and wills himself to it but physically has limitations that prevent him from being better ... should be in and under packs pushing it out to the more skillful outside mids but is forced to go win his own ball and then dispose of it himself
8 Blake Acres 4/10 - wasted year.. being used to plug holes because of list holes means often playing in a less then ideal positions, totaly destroying and wasting the talent we have by making him a mr fix it.. should bt the polish not the glue
9 Jack Steele 4/10- what happened ? tackles were his dice now cant land one stuck in that same same same same mould midfielder.
10 Nathan Freeman 0/10 - injurys again ... hopefully we toss out the caution and throw him in the 1's cause his carreer ending injury is litterally around the corner in the VFL so if it comes may as well get it reaching his goal of an AFL game
11 Hunter Clark 6/10- looks ssuited to this game.. for a young fella looks more experianced and confident then many of the much older players on the list.. big future ahead
13 Jack Lonie 3/10 - Poor Jack ... becomes the go to scapegoat to be dropped every other week .. one of the rare few to actually have a red hot dip.. gives it his all but physically not there
14 Jarryn Geary 4/10 - Captain Average... hes got heart, hes got courage and he will work and work and work but its like using a shovel to ice a cake. doesnt have the polish to be anything but average
15 Jack Billings 4/10 - lacking confidence, lacking guidance, lacking desire... shows glimpses of fantastic skill but the goes missing for big chunks.. really needs to be touching the ball muchmuch more as he is one of the few who can cause damage
16 Jack Newnes 5/10 - the start of the season he was looking at a solid 2 out of ten as his tackles dried up and he became a passanger in the team, the move forward certainly changed his fortunes dabbing in to pinch a couple goals meant the opp needed to pay attention to him, gave a differant unexpected avenue to goal
17 Dylan Roberton 1/10 - season derailed by the heart condition, been a massive hole in the team without him brings that effort class and accountability we have been missing
18 Billy Longer 3/10 - woeful ... he gets taps but does nothing else looks slow un-interested and content to just be out there... sadly enough he is still our next best option..
19 Sam Gilbert 5/10 - much like his whole career dependable and reliable Gilbo.. nothing flashy nothing great but a solid contest every week ... game has past him by somewhat but he still suits a need especially when injurys hit .. too bad they have hit him
20 David Armitage 4/10- become a bit of a whipping boy this year, fact is we have three other carbon copies of him in the team and at this stage he should be the bottom of the pecking order
21 Ben Long 3/10 - the biggest regret of the season, losing the most promising player early on at possibly the worst time ... was hard, skillful, effort was there, classy , fast ... everything we are screaming for ... hopefully a full year next year
22 Nathan J. Brown 5/10 - not fasionable, not exciting but holds down the role better than anyone else.. he isnt the future but damn ive been glad to have him back there to at least keep the opp forward honest
24 Logan Austin 4/10 - been solid , really looks at home in the makeshift defence.. does he keep his spot when Gears and Robbo return .. i hope so
25 Koby Stevens 1/10 - for his sake i hope he just gets his health back again, terrible story of the season
26 Josh Battle - 6/10 - hits the score board , runs hard, takes marks up the groun.. this kids got something hopefully we keep playing him i really look forward to seeing him and Longy together
27 Josh Bruce 2/10 - injury or poor form its been a forgetable first half for Bruce .. hopefully a fresh second half will see some light at the end of a dark year
28 Tim Membrey 5/10 - the last 3 weeks would be an 8 out of ten but those early games where the yips got him brings his score down, i dunno if its the training finally paying off or if Members just tossed it out the window and went back to his old style but thank god he can kick now ..
29 Jimmy Webster 8/10 - would be leading the b&f in my opinion great season for jimmy , ive been a harsh critic of him but hes made me eat my words
30 Ed Phillips 5/10 - why was he dropped ? really confident and looks at home at the level .. brings a slightly differant dynamic to the team
31 Brandon White 4/10 - i really rate this kid, he has that "im about to bust this game open" look about him but sadly finds himself in the richo's "droppable" merry-go-round
32 Paddy McCartin 6/10 - maybe inflated score but i see paddy working for us .. just needs a better delivery, the one thing is he keeps up the chase, otheres would sook up over the delivery Paddy shrugs it off and trys to go get it again..
33 Nick Coffield 6/10 - much like Hunter looks composed and not out of place at the AFL level.. work in progress hopefully he continues to grow and not stagnate at the "good potential" stage like many of the guys before him
34 Nathan Wright 1/10 - tries but not AFL level... i like his agression but to slow and not to the skill level of the top tier comp
35 Jack Sinclair 3/10 - another case of a player being played out of position basically destroying their confidence and robbing them of any sort of form .. Jack is a much much better player then this season would suggest
36 Daniel McKenzie 2/10 - let me say he was fantastic last week in the last qtr against the Suns.. but.. as a whole he is much like Wright a VFL player only.. too many times get caught up by the speed of the game
37 Bailey Rice 6/10 - VFL form said he was not up to it but a funny thing being as he steped up the level so did his playing step up ... hes cool under pressure and not afraid to get in and dirty ..certainly one of the best finds of the year so far
41 Darren Minchington 0/10 - injured , but history suggests not up to AFL standard
44 Maverick Weller 1/10 - how Mav keeps getting a game is beyond me ... he suffers small man syndrome where he gets all agro but does nothing with it.. ever relaible to miss a much needed goal when the time comes Mav has been the biggest disapointment this year

Nailed it Trav ......your rating , uncompromising, stright up the centre 10/10
:thumbsu:

Fix the inside 50 entries & we’re a 4-5 goal better side every week

Also, other than the game v Brisbane in round 1, has there been a game this year where we’ve actually won more than one quarter? Cos I’m pretty sure we haven’t (pretty sure we’ve tied a couple though). And that’s ******* atrocious

Fix the inside 50 entries & we’re a 4-5 goal better side every week

Also, other than the game v Brisbane in round 1, has there been a game this year where we’ve actually won more than one quarter? Cos I’m pretty sure we haven’t (pretty sure we’ve tied a couple though). And that’s ******* atrocious

We won two quarters (2nd and 4th) against GWS. One quarter won and one tied v Collingwood and Gold Coast.

I agree with most of what has been said, but want to talk about injury, it's management, match committee and list.
Our list is thin, thin on talent, thin particularly in the middle and forward.
All year we have picked players that are injured, Longer, Bruce and Newnes coming off no preseason and being expected to be senior players and leaders when playing injured and unfit, Armitage the same, potential career ending injuries or health concerns to Roberton and Stevens, a long term injury to Long, I still have question marks over the possibility of injury related fitness of Ross, Billings, Dunstan and Brown.

While every player at some time plays injured and no one is ever 100% injuries at this level have expose our list, our injury management and our match selection, to play Bruce with cracked vertebrae is ridiculous, whatever is wrong with Weller his continual selection has exposed our lack of depth with Long down too, Acres being played with OP?, a badly under done Armitage at any time this year, who is signing off on these guys playing, who failed to pick up Stevens concussion? If any have played injured without the club knowing, how the hell does that happen? If the club do know the player is injured and is playing them, Longer and Armitage at the start of the year, how does that happen? When did the club know Bruce had cracked vertebrae and the same with Acres OP, just how bad are Dunstan's shoulders? In last three weeks he has been very ordinary, with minimal game time and impact is he playing injured too?

All season it's ben a refrain that the quality of the VFL is so bad, the kids will get slaughtered when they go up, an under done (pick a name) will be better and when those kids, Phillips, Marshall, Battle, Austin have come in they have improved the team and shown more than enough in the case of Battle and Austin to suggest they have long careers in front of them.

Who in the match committee is allowing this rubbish to continue? Yes the list is thin, but if there is a kid playing a position in the VFL and he's the next in line and fit, play him see what happens and then make a judgement, right now all of Connellan, Paton, Joyce and Freeman look like a good idea, there's been opportunities to select them and there will be in the coming weeks, but will we or will we just say no this guy that's injured but experienced is a better option? The season is gone, the way Lethlean is talking Richo's job is safe, there is no point in playing any injured player in the second have, no need to bring any one back too soon, we have half a season where we have no expectations, roll the dice.

I couldnt read past the first one where Hickey was given a 6.

2/10, that's the rating this club deserves. worst season we've had that i can remember, so tim watson.

truly pathetic and not what this club is about. we are so much better than what theyre dishing up right now.
fair go... Tim Watson had 2 wins for the year in 2000... this is from a team that had the likes of
Loewe
Harvey
Everitt
Burke
Thompson
Hall
Aussie Jones
Maxy

Richo has been poor but he isnt Watson poor ... we are talking about our team that have no stars vs a 2000 team that had hall of famers ...
its been a s**t year yes but again just a little perspective

serious question ... considering how s**t we have been and how disapointed we are at how poor a season it has been how do you reckon the feeling is for the rest of the comp at this half way point vs their expectations pre-season?

Richmond - I reckon their fans would be pretty pleased with themselves
WCE - Their Fans are already planing September accom in Melb for the GF
Swans - they should be very happy
Dees - well and truely meeting and exceeding expectations
Geelong - prob not quiet meeting pre-season expectations
Collingwood - exceeding expectation
Port - prob a bit under expectation considering their off season shopping spree
North - well exceeding expectations
Hawthorn - prob about where they expected perhaps a bit under the expectation
GWS - well under expectation by a fair way irrespective of injurys
Crows - even further under expectation to this stage
Freo - under expectation but not by much
Ess - very very well under expectations
Dogs - very much under expectations
GCS - about where they expected but very far from where they want to be

Bris - as expected but given they list demographic and the phase of rebuild
Carlton - terribly under expectations ... total s**t show

Now, because I'm THAT guy, I look at who, as a community, the Big Footy people rate. Not using 5-4-3-2-1, but as a percentage of B&F votes cast.

Here's the top ten players by that metric:

1 Steven
2 Webster
3 Dunstan
4 Ross
5 Carlisle
6 Sinclair
7 Gresham
8 Hickey
9 Acres
10 Geary

Steven would be well in front. Maybe Webster would be close but he has missed 3 out of 11 and first 2 he was no good. Dunstan would also have that issue as well as Carlisle. Reckon Steven we’ll clear from close out of Ross and Webster. Maybe Ross ahead because he hasn’t missed games.

Top 4 seem clear to me. The 3 I mentioned plus Carlisle.

Just realised it wasn’t b and f. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back