2018 MotoGP

Remove this Banner Ad

You were right!
Yeah, they're all mates. For us, MotoGP is this cut throat, do or die, motorbike series of such high level that it's impossible to comprehend how those guys do it, and you wonder how can a human do that, and suspect that they want everything for themselves and keep their rivals separate to keep whatever advantage they have. For them, MotoGP WC is just hanging out. It's like you, me, hey shorty & NSWCROW all logging in to the BF motor board every night. It wouldn't surprise me if Marquez encouraged it or was even his idea.

These bikes are incredibly big and powerful, of course physical size plays a part.

Pedrosa weighs 50kgs, that's tiny

Klyn any info on remy. ? When I watch him he got a sixth last year and generally is in the top 15. Is his bike / $$$ competitive etc. talent wise he seems just a second off the pace.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remy is currently recovering from injury from a training accident where he smashed himself to bit, breaking both legs and an ankle. He's quite talented and was showing good signs of improvement over the passed couple of years. As I see it, he has two major issues:
- he's a poor qualifier. He's a good racer, usually finishing better than his qualifying position but starting 25th means he can have a cracking race, pass 9 riders and still miss out on points.
- the team he rides for, Tech3, use their own in house designed frame. The issue with this is compared with Kalex who supply most of the field, they have very limited data from only two bikes from which to develop and compared to KTM who are also limited in numbers, they don't have a large budget and design team. The team are switching to KTM frames next year (in line with the MotoGP teams move to KTM equipment) so hopefully he can get back this year and impress enough to get another gig with them next year on what should be improved equipment.

These bikes are incredibly big and powerful, of course physical size plays a part.

Pedrosa weighs 50kgs, that's tiny

I'd say it's more to do with strength than size (though there are advantages to having a bit of extra size). One third of the grid stands less than 171cm tall and out of that Dani is an outlier at 3 inches shorter and 15kgs lighter than the next smallest on the grid but he's still strong enough to hang on and be competitive. Miller is about 5 inches taller and was about 20 kegs heavier than Pedrosa when he stepped up to MotoGP but admits he was physically underprepared from a strength and stamina perspective. Give them the right training regime and even smaller riders should be able to make the leap up okay.

Remy is currently recovering from injury from a training accident where he smashed himself to bit, breaking both legs and an ankle. He's quite talented and was showing good signs of improvement over the passed couple of years

Its set Remy back quite a bit sadly

Its set Remy back quite a bit sadly

Yeah, it really has. He needed surgery and it was apparently quite complicated. He recently said he's aiming to be back at the Spanish round in a week and a halfs time but it didn't sound particularly convincing. I hope he doesn't come back too soon. In his favour, both his replacement and his teammate have performed quite poorly in his absence so hopefully he doesn't feel pressured into a premature return.

Yeah, it really has. He needed surgery and it was apparently quite complicated. He recently said he's aiming to be back at the Spanish round in a week and a halfs time but it didn't sound particularly convincing. I hope he doesn't come back too soon. In his favour, both his replacement and his teammate have performed quite poorly in his absence so hopefully he doesn't feel pressured into a premature return.

Remy needs more time given that he was in a bad way

Remy is currently recovering from injury from a training accident where he smashed himself to bit, breaking both legs and an ankle. He's quite talented and was showing good signs of improvement over the passed couple of years. As I see it, he has two major issues:
- he's a poor qualifier. He's a good racer, usually finishing better than his qualifying position but starting 25th means he can have a cracking race, pass 9 riders and still miss out on points.
- the team he rides for, Tech3, use their own in house designed frame. The issue with this is compared with Kalex who supply most of the field, they have very limited data from only two bikes from which to develop and compared to KTM who are also limited in numbers, they don't have a large budget and design team. The team are switching to KTM frames next year (in line with the MotoGP teams move to KTM equipment) so hopefully he can get back this year and impress enough to get another gig with them next year on what should be improved equipment.

I'd say it's more to do with strength than size (though there are advantages to having a bit of extra size). One third of the grid stands less than 171cm tall and out of that Dani is an outlier at 3 inches shorter and 15kgs lighter than the next smallest on the grid but he's still strong enough to hang on and be competitive. Miller is about 5 inches taller and was about 20 kegs heavier than Pedrosa when he stepped up to MotoGP but admits he was physically underprepared from a strength and stamina perspective. Give them the right training regime and even smaller riders should be able to make the leap up okay.

Thnx appreciate ur insight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, they're all mates. For us, MotoGP is this cut throat, do or die, motorbike series of such high level that it's impossible to comprehend how those guys do it, and you wonder how can a human do that, and suspect that they want everything for themselves and keep their rivals separate to keep whatever advantage they have. For them, MotoGP WC is just hanging out. It's like you, me, hey shorty & NSWCROW all logging in to the BF motor board every night. It wouldn't surprise me if Marquez encouraged it or was even his idea.

Not mates (at the tippy top) but mostly respectful aquaintences. A handful are friends, a handful are sworn enemies. Like most large workplaces.

Yes, I meant Jack.

While it may appear that I've exaggerated their relationships, I'm not far off. Even amongst friends, you might not like each other at times. I remember talking to some harder fans at PI test days. They're all business at the track, then they all hang out at the same restaurant at Cowes having a laugh (Pinos).

Interesting point regarding whether top level sport combatants are friends . I would say in the cut and thrust of it all especially in the elite ego world of moto gp. No. But there would be exceptions .

American sports are interesting in that sense. Most of them are mates despite the ego.

Yes, I meant Jack.

While it may appear that I've exaggerated their relationships, I'm not far off. Even amongst friends, you might not like each other at times. I remember talking to some harder fans at PI test days. They're all business at the track, then they all hang out at the same restaurant at Cowes having a laugh (Pinos).

I'd still say it's an exaggeration. Few of them are genuinely friends. Miller and Crutchlow have a well noted friendship. They train together, Jack hangs out with Cal and his family. Similar for Rossi with Iannone and Morbidelli. Marc Marquez is close friends with Tito Rabat, has described him as family. The majority are friendly acquaintances who have little to nothing to do with each other outside of racing.
And then there's the few who genuinely dislike each other. Rossi and marquez are the obvious ones. Crutchlow has also mentioned a dislike for Dani Pedrosa and Scott Redding.

Not sure where to post this sorry mods. Craig Trinder apparently won some international races or titles but I found nothing concrete on google re this. Any info on his wins / titles. ?? (I grew up in Albury and bought my first rd 250 from Steve. )

Dunno mate. I know he and Steve have run top teams in Australia and he's won multiple Australian championships but can only find a vague reference to winning American and Canadian titles.