2018 MotoGP

Remove this Banner Ad

Just caught a replay, that Zarco/Marquez incident could have been very very ordinary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowee, what a weekend Phillip Island was!!
MotoGP was an excellent race with Viñales finally breaking Yamaha's race win drought (I picked it :)). Iannone ride terrific and without a couple of mistakes he could've been in the hunt for the win. Avoiding the Marquez/Zarco mess to finish second was certainly acceptable though. It was a shame both Marquez and Zarco dnf'd, they could really have propelled the race into one of the all time classics. Still, it's just good that they were able to walk away unscathed, it could've been so much worse.
I was a bit disappointed Miller couldn't fight for the top 5. It must be said though that the bike he was on was miles from the top ten last year so he really did a pretty good job.
Speaking of good jobs, Mike Jones did a terrific job as a fill in rider. No crashes, chopped the difference to the front from 6 seconds to 3 second across the weekend and completed the race not even close to being lapped.

Moto2 was a ripper and bizarre all at once. Binder rode outstanding for the win (I picked it :)) but I don't think I can remember a race late in the season where the first two in the championship finish outside the top 10 purely because they lacked pace. Big opportunity list for Oliveira.
Was so disappointed for Gardner, he rode so well. I thought he must've found a false neutral because he looked as though he pulled up okay initially but it turns out Mir made a mistake and checked in front of him and Remy crashed avoiding him. A great shame.
Staring did a pretty good job considering he was unfortunately hampered by getting torpedoed in a practice session and they struggled to get the bike back up to speed the rest of the weekend.

As for Moto3, well...

I was so, so disappointed for Marco Bezecchi, taken out for the second time in three races. The title charge is still on but it has been made so much harder because of other riders screw ups.
Was also disappointed my pick for the win - Darryn Binder - looked so good in 3rd on the second last lap to finishing 12th. Can't win 'em all I guess!

Just caught a replay, that Zarco/Marquez incident could have been very very ordinary

Incredibly lucky that Zarco skidded to the side of the gravel and along the grass instead and Marquez fortunate not to highside when he got collected. Iannone barely missed them as well and copped a part of Marquez bike smash him in the hand and injure him. Chaos everywhere!

The explanation for the crash was that Zarco thought Marquez would overtake Miller but with the slipstream effect, when Marquez backed out of looking at passing Miller, Zarco just had no time to be able to avoid crashing.
Just a very unfortunate event.

Alex Rins on fire instead of his bike to finish Friday, ending up fastest for the day. Miller a strong 5th fastest. Marquez had four major front end saves in FP2 alone.
Lorenzo was back on Friday but finished dead last, four odd seconds off the pace. I doubt we see him for the rest of the weekend. He would be replaced by Ducati test rider, Michele Pirro.

Red flag for qualifying. An absolute monsoon has hit the circuit, standing water everywhere. Like holding a GP race in Cairns.

It hit suddenly and caught a few riders out, must've caught the flag marshals out too as they didn't get the rain flags out in time and Viñales wrote a bike off, Karel Abraham crashed and hurt his hand and Jordi Torres went down and got carted off in the meat wagon.